air deviation fee increase

wp bob

air fee is increasing Jan 1 from $150 to $175 for deviation requests on old and new bookings. This week is not a good time to try and finalize my deviation plans.

Does not seem fair if you have already made final payment!

Ugh. I was just about to ask my travel agent to ask for an air deviation for a cruise in mid-August. Do they actually book, or pre-book, the flights for an August flight at the time that you request a deviation, or how does that work? Other than getting the deviation at $25 less now, is there any huge reason why I should or should not go ahead and request the deviation now? Is the availability of good flights likely to change much in two weeks? My itinerary is Washington DC to Lisbon and back from Barcelona.

Ugh. I was just about to ask my travel agent to ask for an air deviation for a cruise in mid-August. Do they actually book, or pre-book, the flights for an August flight at the time that you request a deviation, or how does that work? Other than getting the deviation at $25 less now, is there any huge reason why I should or should not go ahead and request the deviation now? Is the availability of good flights likely to change much in two weeks? My itinerary is Washington DC to Lisbon and back from Barcelona.

Probably! It has also been announced by some of the airlines that fares are going up at the beginning of 2014 which would also, possibly, raise the price for you. Can't imagine why anyone would not book as soon as possible.

Ugh. I was just about to ask my travel agent to ask for an air deviation for a cruise in mid-August. Do they actually book, or pre-book, the flights for an August flight at the time that you request a deviation, or how does that work?

Yes they do book the flight when you pay the deviation fee

You can book a deviation around 270 out

Flights are booked when you accept the deviation schedule offered but it is not TICKETED until all is paid in full. this makes a difference for some seat assignments and upgrades. Sooner the better once your pre or post plans are firm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I submitted my air request on Dec 26 early and had all confirmed by noon the same day. Great service and flight itineraries from the air dept.

Wow, that's terrific. I'm still waiting, but perhaps I am waiting for the travel agent to get back into the office to get the email from Oceania! He's a great TA but it IS Christmas time, and you can only expect so much! I'm guessing he will have something for me tomorrow morning. I just hope that what they are offering is adequate so I can accept it and not have to pay an extra $50, get everything a bit more finalized, and enjoy my wait until flight time rolls around!

• 9 months later...

Hi WPBob, when you booked your air with Oceania last year, did you get seat assigned the same time you agreed to what you were offered?

I cruised with O ships before but I have never used their air. I have booked a trip in July 2015 from LISBON to ROME on Riviera. The price to pay for airticket from Lisbon to Rome (I live in Los Angeles) is $2,000 per person. And the air add on by O ship is $1,000 pp.

I understand i have to pay for $175 dev.fee in order to see what airlines O ships have to offer. But I also was told that if I withdraw for not taking the air add on from O ship. My $1,000 air credit is subject to change. It means that it can be reduced to $700 instead of originally $1,000.

If someone has flown from Lisbon to Rome or Europe with Oceania in the past. Please let me know of the airliner name? I dont want to fly smaller aircraft. Does Oceania use major aircrafts when flying across the Atlantic Sea? I have air sick seriously and this is why Im so seriously concerned. Please help!! THank you all.

Lam

you do not pay the deviation fee until you accept the flights offered

you can keep asking for other flights or just submit the one you want & see if O can get them with or without an upcharge

Some airline will allow you to select your seats some will not

Lyn

Thank you Alidor for your quick reply. If you have experienced with O ship air. Can you get seat assigned when you agree to what be offered?

That depends on the policy of the Airline involved, and how far out you "agree".

Oceania will reserve, but typically not purchase, the airline tickets until such time as the Passenger has paid for their cruise in full.

Some airlines allow seat assignments for reserved tickets, others require that the tickets be purchased first.

Have no idea what you mean by "agreed time" but, can tell you that United will allow you to choose seats once the deviated flight is booked and that British Air unless you are elite won't allow you to choose your seats until 24 hours prior to your flight.

Can't speak for other airlines however do not understand the importance of having your seats assigned so much before the flight. There is always a chance that the airline will change your seat assignment due to various situations and no seat assigned is guaranteed until you actually sit down in the seat and circumstances can always change the seat at that point. No guarantees on seats at any time is something you need to be aware of.

Thanks Dave for your note. First: "Agreed time" means that once I agree to what I was offered (airline company etc...) including paying the dev.fee. At that point, do I get to have my seat assigned?

And what you were saying is totally true and it can be possibly happening. I have traveled as far as Asia and Europe (VIetnam and Paris). Once I paid my air ticket, I also got to choose my seat number (the timing was about 6mos to 10mos before departure date). I was fortunate that my seat was always exactly what I requested at the beginning. Yet, sometimes my time got changed like instead of 10AM, it notified me that it had changed to 11AM...but the seat was still the same assigned number. You may not care where you sit on the plane ride. Personally I care, because I have serious air sick that can stay with me until few days later. This is why Dave is Dave and me is me. I appreciate your reply tho. It is a very good learning discussion.

First: "Agreed time" means that once I agree to what I was offered (airline company etc...) including paying the dev.fee. At that point, do I get to have my seat assigned?

If you are that insistent about getting your seat assigned early, yet you are not willing to pay the Cruise off that far in advance, then it is probably best that you take the air credit from Oceania; then book and pay for your flights, independently.

Doing the Air through Oceania, you won't have the option of paying for "just the airfare portion" in advance, and as was discussed earlier, some airlines won't allow seat reservations before the ticket is purchased.

Oceania wants the cruise fare paid before they purchase the tickets, because otherwise if you had to cancel the Cruise at any time between ticket purchase and sailing (Life does happen), either you or they would be stuck with those tickets.

Edited by StanandJim

Yes, you made sense StanandJim. I surely agree with you.

If you noted, my first post mentioned about I have never used cruise ship air in the past, although I had cruised quite a few times. This time, the journey from Lisbon to Rome, the air ticket is so expensive, it is about $2K per person round trip. I thought of doing air with Oceania this time in order to save $$. Because the air credit is $1K which made me feel like half off of the airfare.

I did not have this experience about air with ship. This is why I raised my concern and posted my questions here before I make a decision SHOULD I BUY AIR independently or should I not?

With all your answers here, I now feel strongly about my decision and hopefully with no regrets. I surely appreciate all your comments in this topic.