PG @ $29. Tamarind @ $20. Canaletto same

Thebes

[quote name='sapper1']There is no provision for adding a tip to the chit you sign. All extra tipping onboard is done with cash.
I just slip a ten dollar bill out of the safe and into my purse as we leave for our reservation. Or more frequently, I forget, and have to leave the table between courses and run back up to the cabin to get it.[/quote]
Thanks, I never would have even thought we should tip if they don't give me a slip with the option on it. We rarely have cash on us, so it's good to know this in advance. I'm really learning a lot in this thread. On other cruises we were given a slip with an additional tip line on it.

[quote name='sail7seas'] Some people pre-book their alternative restaurant reservations on line before boarding the ship. They pay at the time they book so no bill is presented to the table except for a bar tab if they ordered any beverages such as wine, soda or cocktails.[/quote]
On Royal Caribbean they still presented us with something to sign add an additional tip even though the meal was $0. Things are definitely different than I've come to expect. :)

I would suspect that the average person would never even know that many people tip their server after the meal based on everything I've read on HAL's website and the way things are handled during the dinner. Edited by sherilyn70

[B]We never needed to know if others tip.
We make up our own minds when, where, who and how we wish to tip. We would not leave a lovely dinner like we almost always enjoy in Pinnacle and not tip. Doesn't matter to us if we are the only ones doing so. ;)

[/B]

[quote name='sherilyn70']
<snip>

On Royal Caribbean they still presented us with something to sign add an additional tip even though the meal was $0. Things are definitely different than I've come to expect. :)

I would suspect that the average person would never even know that many people tip their server after the meal based on everything I've read on HAL's website and the way things are handled during the dinner.[/quote]

[B] Every cruise line, every business has their own way of doing things. On HAL, they do things their way same as on RCI, they do what they wish. :)

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='sail7seas']We never needed to know if others tip.
We make up our own minds when, where, who and how we wish to tip. We would not leave a lovely dinner like we almost always enjoy in Pinnacle and not tip. Doesn't matter to us if we are the only ones doing so. ;)[/quote]
In some cultures or jobs though, people may be offended if you leave them a tip when no opportunity was given to do so. So I don't assume it's welcome unless I've been informed otherwise in unfamiliar settings. UPS drivers are not allowed to accept gifts or tips (even though I know some cheat and do) and I have known other people in jobs where they have to turn away the money as well. I would not leave a tip unless someone suggested or even hinted that it would be appropriate.

If I were to go strictly off of HALs website, they give no indication that tiping in the specialty restaurants is encouraged.
[COLOR=darkred][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred][I]Is There A Hotel Service Charge (Gratuity/Tip)?[/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred][I]Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account. [/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred][I]The daily Hotel Service Charge for suites is US$12.00 per guest per day, and US$11.50 per guest per day for other staterooms. (The charges are subject to change without notice)[/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred][/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred][I]If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices. [/I][/COLOR]

[quote name='sapper1']I have heard that our clique is called the Canadian Mafia. I don't think it was really meant as a compliment but we love the moniker and took no offence at all. :D:D[/quote]
LOL, I love it. :) I read monikor as monkey the first time and giggled because I love monkey's too.

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy]Just wondering; Is this the smoking thread? :cool:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Nah! I's an edjakation thread, LOL! What not to do on board ships - or what everyone else thinks you should or should not do. Or some people, I guess.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Apparently we do need policing[/SIZE][/FONT].:rolleyes:

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Not in the charge for the dinner; that goes to the house. The daily hotel service charge does cover the gratuities.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]That's what a "tip" is. It's a question of how much a person wants to tip. There's the minimum (the daily hotel service charge), but there's no maximum.

When people go out to dinner they may tip anywhere from $0.00 [SIZE=2](not normally)[/SIZE] 15%, 18%, maybe even 20%. Some folks have been known to go to 25%. All [SIZE=2](well, maybe except the $0.00)[/SIZE] are valid amounts if that's what the diner wants to give. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]
Ruth C. has hit the nail on the head.[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia]I have to say I feel Ruth is a sweetheart, and I find I'm almost always in agreement with her. I hope someday our paths may cross. I remember the no tip required days on board HAL ships. What a fiasco that was.

Michael

[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='expectGREATthings'][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]
Ruth C. has hit the nail on the head.[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia]I have to say I feel Ruth is a sweetheart, and I find I'm almost always in agreement with her. I hope someday our paths may cross. I remember the no tip required days on board HAL ships. What a fiasco that was.

Michael

[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I believe that's why Hal did away with it. Many people used that as an excuse to not tip at all. They read it as tipping not allowed but I'm sure I will quickly be told otherwise by those in the know about tipping rules.

[quote name='expectGREATthings'][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]

Michael

[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Why thank you Michael! You just made this "sweetheart's" day! :)
I would love to cross paths with you. I cruise enough that there's a real chance. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] DH never leaves cash for others to see sitting on the table in Tamarind or Pinnacle. He tips but you would not see it. When he shakes the Pinnacle Manager's hand, you would not see the tip. When he slips currency into the folder containing the wine/liquor bill, you would not see him tip. Just because people are subtle and not showy, does not mean they are not tipping. ;) I'm surprised someone would spend so much energy watching what people at other tables were doing. I much prefer paying attention to the folks with whom we are dining. :)

[/B][/QUOTE]

Your offensive smugness is noted.

[quote name='cbr663']Your offensive smugness is noted.[/QUOTE]

There is a way to tip with class and a way to tip with tactless showiness. If you find Sail's tasteful method offensive I guess we know the method you prefer. ;)

[quote]cbr663
Your offensive smugness is noted.
[/quote]

[quote name='cbr663']Actually, during our recent cruise we dined twice in the PG and once in the Tamarind and I kept watching folks as they left to see whether they were leaving tips. I didn't see anyone leaving any tips on their tables. Based on my limited experience, I would say that most people do not tip extra.[/quote]

[B] This was the post to which I was responding.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='cbr663']Your offensive smugness is noted.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I didn't see anything offensive or smug in that post, simply an explanation of what they do with regard to tipping. And I am also surprised that anyone would spend time in the PG watching what others do.[/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by startwin

[quote name='startwin'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I didn't see anything offensive or smug in that post, simply an explanation of what they do with regard to tipping. And I am also surprised that anyone would spend time in the PG watching what others do.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You don't understand how a simple statement about what I observed on a ship that instantly degraded into an issue of class could be offensive? Sort of reminds me of the phrase, "Those who feel the need to educate others about class are those who need it the most."

[quote name='cbr663']You don't understand how a simple statement about what I observed on a ship that instantly degraded into an issue of class could be offensive? Sort of reminds me of the phrase, "Those who feel the need to educate others about class are those who need it the most."[/QUOTE]

If you don't like us you don't have to stick around and put up with us. Nobody is forcing anyone to read opinions.

[quote name='cbr663']You don't understand how a simple statement about what I observed on a ship that instantly degraded into an issue of class could be offensive? Sort of reminds me of the phrase, "Those who feel the need to educate others about class are those who need it the most."[/quote]

[B] As you say, we can all learn from these forums.
No one of us 'knows it all'.
I've learned lots here and hope others do as well.
[/B] Edited by sail7seas

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand back to topic, since this is getting out of hand: IMO the PG increase has no effect on my eating there at least twice a cruise. Although I am disappointed that they have taken off lobster mac and cheese as another person mentioned. I can take Tamarind or leave it, as I am not a big fan of Pan Asian cuisine. I will dine or lunch there, but it's not a big draw for me. Just don't care for Canaletto, $10 or included. The menu is BORING!

My nephew however, who would eat in Tamarind for every meal if he could, wants to know when Tamarind will be fleet wide!

[quote name='scamper']Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand back to topic, since this is getting out of hand: IMO the PG increase has no effect on my eating there at least twice a cruise. Although I am disappointed that they have taken off lobster mac and cheese as another person mentioned. I can take Tamarind or leave it, as I am not a big fan of Pan Asian cuisine. I will dine or lunch there, but it's not a big draw for me. Just don't care for Canaletto, $10 or included. The menu is BORING!

My nephew however, who would eat in Tamarind for every meal if he could, wants to know when Tamarind will be fleet wide![/quote]

[B] You may not be aware they very recently changed the Canaletto menu. Their service style has been reconfigured and maybe it will interest you.

[/B]

[quote name='scamper']Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand back to topic, since this is getting out of hand: IMO the PG increase has no effect on my eating there at least twice a cruise. Although I am disappointed that they have taken off lobster mac and cheese as another person mentioned. I can take Tamarind or leave it, as I am not a big fan of Pan Asian cuisine. I will dine or lunch there, but it's not a big draw for me. Just don't care for Canaletto, $10 or included. The menu is BORING!

My nephew however, who would eat in Tamarind for every meal if he could, wants to know when Tamarind will be fleet wide![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Sadly -- Tamarind will never be fleet wide.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]The other ships can not support the kitchen or the restaurant -- weight wise.[/SIZE][/FONT]