OPT and Facilities

winrob

I noticed "gbenjo" finished a recent post with, and I quote "and after the renovations to the OPT are finished in October 2014" etc etc.

What exactly has the Government got in mind for the improvements at the OPT?

The facilities there are positively antique even compared to the Barangaroo tent. At least at the tent you had tables to fill out any last minute forms required. Toilets accessible from inside the tent (unlike OPT where it is a mad dash across the road to the portaloos not much fun when it is raining). Plenty of seating with a café, ample parking for drop offs and pick ups.

All the OPT has going for it at the moment is the view and close proximity to the city and not much more to offer.

WinRob

I noticed "gbenjo" finished a recent post with, and I quote "and after the renovations to the OPT are finished in October 2014" etc etc.

The facilities there are positively antique even compared to the Barangaroo tent. At least at the tent you had tables to fill out any last minute forms required. Toilets accessible from inside the tent (unlike OPT where it is a mad dash across the road to the portaloos not much fun when it is raining). Plenty of seating with a café, ample parking for drop offs and pick ups.

All the OPT has going for it at the moment is the view and close proximity to the city and not much more to offer.

WinRob

I must admit that I haven't experienced any of the issues that you have at the OPT, However, hopefully with the refurb they will be fixed for the future enjoyment of passengers embarking and disembarking.:D

WinRob

i wonder what kind of renovations they are going to do, i must admit its not very good atm and to use the porta loos across the road and no seating for paxs its not good, we just hope its a big improvement

I'd say it has a fair bit more to offer.

It's enclosed, good facilities - escalators/lifts inside, good connection to the ship.

I don't spend much time in it - under an hour, so don't look for frills like shops in there. As for a table, I think I just fill out the health form on the back of my passport while I'm in the queue - no big deal. Much quicker than breaking out to a table and then subsequently joining the queue.

I'd say it has a fair bit more to offer.

It's enclosed, good facilities - escalators/lifts inside, good connection to the ship.

I don't spend much time in it - under an hour, so don't look for frills like shops in there. As for a table, I think I just fill out the health form on the back of my passport while I'm in the queue - no big deal. Much quicker than breaking out to a table and then subsequently joining the queue.

Yes, we always carry a pen or two for filling out forms on the run (queued walk).:D

I thought the facilities at OPT were fine. I had a pen with me. I had my paperwork and off I went. Very quickly this was for the Diamond Princess. Didn't really notice any development except it looked a little bit shabby. Took all of 15 minutes to get on board.

Edited by icat2000

WinRob

From what I have been told from an extremely reliable source ( but is not 100% official but I would like to be as sure of winning lotto) the two restaurants in the middle of the building on the ground floor will make way for a disembarking level and there will be a mezzanine level added to give a dedicated check in area and a large "lounge" area with, I presume, an area for guests to complete their paperwork etc and an area to sit and wait for check in if required. Doubt if there will be any shops, maybe a coffee shop,( after all it's a processing area not a shopping mall) but don't really know as yet. I believe the reno's, although fairly extensive, will not interfere with the Carnival Spirits "winter" turnarounds. One thing is for sure though, it will be a lot more user friendly when completed. Will keep you informed if I hear more.

From what I have been told from an extremely reliable source ( but is not 100% official but I would like to be as sure of winning lotto) the two restaurants in the middle of the building on the ground floor will make way for a disembarking level and there will be a mezzanine level added to give a dedicated check in area and a large "lounge" area with, I presume, an area for guests to complete their paperwork etc and an area to sit and wait for check in if required. Doubt if there will be any shops, maybe a coffee shop,( after all it's a processing area not a shopping mall) but don't really know as yet. I believe the reno's, although fairly extensive, will not interfere with the Carnival Spirits "winter" turnarounds. One thing is for sure though, it will be a lot more user friendly when completed. Will keep you informed if I hear more.

Thanks, and by the sound of the refurbishment that will address some of the issues the OP stated. Time will tell if it is better or not.

There is some info on the Sydney maritime pages stating that the OPT will not be available from the end of March till sometime in to October although it was not really clear as to what part, or if it was all of it, that would be closed.

There is some info on the Sydney maritime pages stating that the OPT will not be available from the end of March till sometime in to October although it was not really clear as to what part, or if it was all of it, that would be closed.

Interesting, gbenjo posted 'I believe the reno's, although fairly extensive, will not interfere with the Carnival Spirits "winter" turnarounds.' so I think only parts will be out of use at certain times.:D

Well, I like the OPT, so close to the city, transport, shops, hotels etc unlike Barangaroo. If you think OPT is antiquated try RIO, even San Francisco is a chaotic pain

Sandy in Spain

Well, I like the OPT, so close to the city, transport, shops, hotels etc unlike Barangaroo. If you think OPT is antiquated try RIO, even San Francisco is a chaotic pain

Sandy in Spain

Agreed, it's one of my favourites. There's a lot of ports who have bigger failings.

I think OPT is wonderful. Same as Auckland. So easy to get on and off the ship.

Should try boarding in Venice. Saw so many people struggle with their luggage over the bridge to get to the people mover. They should have just paid for a water taxi instead of tryingto save a few bucks.

I think OPT is wonderful. Same as Auckland. So easy to get on and off the ship.

Should try boarding in Venice. Saw so many people struggle with their luggage over the bridge to get to the people mover. They should have just paid for a water taxi instead of tryingto save a few bucks.

Yes, both great ports and beautiful harbours. Cannot comment on Venice but have read that it is nightmarish with so many ships/tourists descending on the city at once.:D

For me Venice and Sydney have two of the most spectacular sail always and when we sailed out of Venice we got a water taxi from our hotel near St Marks Square and the approach to the terminal by water was perfect. We unloaded our bags from the water taxi and never saw them again until they arrived at our stateroom.

The OPT has the ideal location and with the modifications to the building could be just about "poifect" if they could do something about the vehicular access for cars and coaches.

Sandy in Spain

I agree with you, think its a great spot. Never hung around long enough to realise it was lacking anything. We are just happy to get on the ship:)

Sandy in Spain

yes the good thing about OPT its nice and handy for transport but thats about all, when the reno's completed might be better

Barrangaroo's gone and they use White Bay now

yes the good thing about OPT its nice and handy for transport but thats about all, when the reno's completed might be better

Barrangaroo's gone and they use White Bay now

Sorry I meant White Bay

Sandy in Spain

For me Venice and Sydney have two of the most spectacular sail always and when we sailed out of Venice we got a water taxi from our hotel near St Marks Square and the approach to the terminal by water was perfect. We unloaded our bags from the water taxi and never saw them again until they arrived at our stateroom.

Cool, I will get there in 2015 I hope and then can experience that harbour for myself.

The OPT has the ideal location and with the modifications to the building could be just about "poifect" if they could do something about the vehicular access for cars and coaches.

Yes, I don't think it needs a lot of work but obviously it needs some.:D