MITSUGIRLYS JEWEL OF A CRUISE review and pictorial

mitsugirly

Weren't we the lucky one's, there was one just sitting outside waiting for us. Well, after all was said and done, we weren't the "lucky" family after all. I had read prior to going that it cost approximately $10 for the cab ride from our hotel to the port. We got out of the taxi and he charged us $21!!!!!????? What the heck? We were suckers I guess.

Goodbye Blake Hotel. See you again some day.

The cab driver did not say one word to us along the way and when he pulled up to the port, he pulled in the middle of traffic, there was a forklift trying to get around him and I have a 5 year old, 3 large luggage, 1 small luggage, and a huge shoulder bag and you want me to do what? I'm not in to playing "frogger" (if you guys remember that game? I was never good at it and always ended up getting splattered and this is what I was picturing trying to dodge all of the incoming traffic). The guy on the forklift got a little perturbed with him parking where he did and told him to move AFTER we had all piled out of the van and started taking our luggage out. Seriously? So bad in everything went and we pulled up to where everyone else is. Needless to say, with the $21 3 minute ride, risking our safety, then having to move, there went his tip. (Well actually, I'm sure he made one heck of a tip at $21). :D

"The taxicab fare to and from cruise ships, including all luggage - $10 for 1 person, or $7/person. (Per special trips, Sec. 162-755). "

We learned that on our last trip there using taxi's. :(

But thanks for your review again, love to read them. :)

mitsugirly--email me at pizzalady1@earthlink.net

Emailed :)

That's how it is here in the Detroit area! Two seatings, Monday thru Friday for 15 people. We were (and still are) allotted 6 hours to test. So for 30 nursing students a day - 150 per week - you can see why it takes so long to actually schedule for the test! BUT results typically take two days to get.....even faster if you pay a little bit for next day results! :cool:

I have known people that can't get in here and have driven to other parts of the state hours away because that's the only place they could get in.

I did hear that you can pay extra for the preliminary results, but it's not final nor does it tell you if you actually passed. Either way, I'm going to be one big basket case!

"The taxicab fare to and from cruise ships, including all luggage - $10 for 1 person, or $7/person. (Per special trips, Sec. 162-755). "

We learned that on our last trip there using taxi's. :(

But thanks for your review again, love to read them. :)

Oh gosh. I must have misunderstood all of the post I read on here. I thought it was a $10 ride no matter what. I mean it's $42 all the way from the airport so I figure for a few minute ride down the street $10 sounded about right...but $21??? yikes. That's a crazy amount to pay for such a short distance. :eek:

So here we are...we have arrived and the welcome party is there to greet us and welcome us on board.

PC150147-L.jpg

PC150145-L.jpg

Sakari was thrilled and wanted pictures with everything of course.

PC150146-L.jpg

As you can tell, it was warming up a "little" since we have our winter coats off, but it was still very chilly and we couldn't wait to get inside.

I guess Frosty and Santa had to come outside so that they wouldn't melt.

PC150148-L.jpg

But that would soon change and the weather would be perfect the rest of the cruise.

We headed off to explore the ship and felt like Déjà vu had come over us. Yep, it was just like the Pearl, her sister, with a few minor differences as we would learn as we explored.

I like to head up and into the areas that you normally won't find people at after boarding (because everyone is either at the MDR or buffet stuffing their faces as if they had went without food the previous week trying to hold out for the Jewel). We had just eaten and was still stuffed from breakfast and this gave us the opportunity to check things out.

I have to admit, the ships that don't have the huge, open, stories high atrium with the glass elevators don't impress me. I like that "wow" factor and of course the Gem, Jewel, Pearl or whatever stone it may be, ships don't have that. But it's ok. I was prepared for this and knew this ahead of time.

So off we go (and off I go to try to get my pictures together from the ship now so that I can continue...and truth be known, throw in another load of laundry because I just got up enough enthusiasm today to start on it after that wonderful cruise).

So here we are...we have arrived and the welcome party is there to greet us and welcome us on board.

PC150147-L.jpg

PC150145-L.jpg

Sakari was thrilled and wanted pictures with everything of course.

PC150146-L.jpg

As you can tell, it was warming up a "little" since we have our winter coats off, but it was still very chilly and we couldn't wait to get inside.

I guess Frosty and Santa had to come outside so that they wouldn't melt.

PC150148-L.jpg

But that would soon change and the weather would be perfect the rest of the cruise.

We headed off to explore the ship and felt like Déjà vu had come over us. Yep, it was just like the Pearl, her sister, with a few minor differences as we would learn as we explored.

I like to head up and into the areas that you normally won't find people at after boarding (because everyone is either at the MDR or buffet stuffing their faces as if they had went without food the previous week trying to hold out for the Jewel). We had just eaten and was still stuffed from breakfast and this gave us the opportunity to check things out.

I have to admit, the ships that don't have the huge, open, stories high atrium with the glass elevators don't impress me. I like that "wow" factor and of course the Gem, Jewel, Pearl or whatever stone it may be, ships don't have that. But it's ok. I was prepared for this and knew this ahead of time.

So off we go (and off I go to try to get my pictures together from the ship now so that I can continue...and truth be known, throw in another load of laundry because I just got up enough enthusiasm today to start on it after that wonderful cruise).

So excited. A Jewel review with pictures. This is an early Christmas gift for everyone. Thanks Mitsugirly

Am enjoying your review. I was on the Jewell last month and it was a great cruise.

Thanks and hope you stick around. We had an awesome cruise but I think what really made this cruise special were all of the friends that were cruising with us that we have cruised with prior and meeting new awesome friends. It made it a special cruise for us.

So excited. A Jewel review with pictures. This is an early Christmas gift for everyone. Thanks Mitsugirly

Well, Christmas is tomorrow, so I'm not so sure how "early" it will be since I have so many pictures to download. LOL :D But thanks. :)

Thanks and hope you stick around. We had an awesome cruise but I think what really made this cruise special were all of the friends that were cruising with us that we have cruised with prior and meeting new awesome friends. It made it a special cruise for us.

Well, Christmas is tomorrow, so I'm not so sure how "early" it will be since I have so many pictures to download. LOL :D But thanks. :)

I will be reading and enjoying your whole review.

BTW, your daughter is adorable!

I will be reading and enjoying your whole review.

BTW, your daughter is adorable!

Thanks so much. :)

Thanks from me, too, Mitsugirly. It truly is an early Christmas gift for all who are reading it today.

From what we can see from your pictures, the Jewel still sparkles!

Aww, just wait until you see the rest. :D

Thanks very much Kim. I always enjoy your great photos. I just finished my review/journal on the member reviews page. Steve
Care you share your link? And you are very welcome and thanks for enjoying my pictures.

great review so far, can't wait to read more!!

Thanks for joining in. :)

I love reading your reviews. In fact, your review of Maya Chan is what made me book that excursion. We loved it even though it rained most of the late morning until lunch. [/qoute]

Thanks so much. Glad to hear you enjoyed Maya Chan. The staff there are one of a kind for sure. They can make any gloomy day feel bright. :D

So I have spent the last several hours (actually non-stop) on trying to sort out my pictures from just the ship alone since my last post. Honestly, I haven't moved other than to re-juice on pop/soda and potty. Sheesh. Now I just have to figure out which one's to use now and I'll start on my "ship" review.

Edited by mitsugirly

Now on to showing you around the Jewel. Come on in and walk with me as I show you around. To some, this may be a new experience for you, for others, it may bring back memories.

I will start with Deck 6 and in the back (since I'm a backwards type-o girl)

We start out with one of the Main Dining Rooms: Tsar's Palace. This is one of the free dining rooms and the more "classier/dressier" dining options.

Depending on the day you are there, the hours are as follows:

Breakfast: either 7am-9am or 7:30am-9:30am

Lunch: noon to 1:30pm on sea days only.

Dinner: 5pm-9:30pm

It is located between deck 6 and 5 in the stairway.

PC210556-L.jpg

PC180222-L.jpg

PC180223-L.jpg

When you enter, you will go down another set of stairs to enter the dining area.

PC180224-M.jpg

Looking up at the grand entrance with 2 sets of stairs.

PC210577-L.jpg

PC210576-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

PC210586-L.jpg

PC210582-L.jpg

PC210581-L.jpg

It is located in the very back of the ship with a great view of the wake.

PC210583-L.jpg

PC210585-L.jpg

I did not notice this on the Pearl, but where they seated us this time around (near the stairway as you walk in), I noticed the neat brightly colored "balls" on the railing. You know that thing when you are talking and something catches you eye, your ADD kicks in and says "squirrel". Well these caught my eye.

PC210580-L.jpg

More interesting balls. They had so many different types. I kept snapping pictures of the different designs and my hubby gave me that "are you really going to take a picture of each one of them" look. So I decided 4 or 5 were enough.

PC210579-L.jpg

PC210587-L.jpg

PC210589-L.jpg

One of the many questions that comes up on these boards are how do those people in people-movers get down to the dining room? Well here's your answer....in the above picture and the picture below, you will see the walkway that runs alongside of the grand stairway coming in to the dining area.

PC210588-L.jpg

You will come out to this area:

PC210590-L.jpg

As you can see, this area leads to no-where-land. It's only a room with chairs and an elevator. Your option is to take the elevator up or come back into the dining room.

Oh one other thing, you can't walk straight through deck 6 from the rest of the ship to get here. You have to go up along deck 7 and walk down the stairs or take the elevator down, which became quite annoying to someone who is GPS challenged like me.

Edited by mitsugirly

I did not notice this on the Pearl, but where they seated us this time around (near the stairway as you walk in), I noticed the neat brightly colored "balls" on the railing. You know that thing when you are talking and something catches you eye, your ADD kicks in and says "squirrel". Well these caught my eye.

PC210580-L.jpg

I think that's supposed to be a Russian Faberge egg. Edited by Cruise_More_Often

We will make our way toward the middle of the ship...reminding you and myself that you need to go up 1 flight of stairs and then back down to get back on deck 6.

This takes you to Azura Main Restaurant. This is another free dining venue for you to enjoy.

It is open during the following times:

Dinner: 5pm-10pm

PC150179-L.jpg

PC210554-L.jpg

PC150180-L.jpg

Kim, the "pretty balls" are taken from the Russian Czar's Faberge eggs made in the 1880's and to the early 1900's by Peter Carl Faberge company. They had jewels on them and were very expensive. They are beautiful and just one of those added touches that makes NCL so special.

Kim' date=' the "pretty balls" are taken from the Russian Czar's Faberge eggs made in the 1880's and to the early 1900's by Peter Carl Faberge company. They had jewels on them and were very expensive. They are beautiful and just one of those added touches that makes NCL so special.[/size']

They are beautiful and I loved them. Are these the actual eggs? Or a replica? I have to go back now and check out my Pearl pictures to see if they had them there since I didn't notice them.