Zaandam made it to the Falklands yesterday

boulders

Falklands ships excursions opened up 5 days before boarding. Some of us were notified by email the same day that we were going, but not all. The ship's tour to Volunteer point ($349 pp) did sell out and there were some angry passengers when they could not book it.

We had booked Estancia Excursions to Volunteer point (110 GBP) several months ago. Estancia took 12-16 vehicles, not sure about the official tour, but there were a total of 40 vehicles at Volunteer Point, each holding 4-6 passengers. Estancia met us on the dock and they seemed to be the only private tour operator there. People were begging them to take them - I'm not sure how it turned out for those who didn't book ahead.

Volunteer Point was fabulous. Other aspects of the cruise have been fabulous. I tried to post a semi-live trip report, but the internet was not good enough to take it. I'll post a review when I get home.

Hi, so happy that you made it there (I have been following the Zaandam this season, curious if she would make it in at least one time) and great that you were smart enough to do an advanced booking with Nyree. She's wonderful. :)

Planning ahead really pays off in cases like this. Did you make photo's?

Falklands ships excursions opened up 5 days before boarding. Some of us were notified by email the same day that we were going, but not all. The ship's tour to Volunteer point ($349 pp) did sell out and there were some angry passengers when they could not book it.

We had booked Estancia Excursions to Volunteer point (110 GBP) several months ago. Estancia took 12-16 vehicles, not sure about the official tour, but there were a total of 40 vehicles at Volunteer Point, each holding 4-6 passengers. Estancia met us on the dock and they seemed to be the only private tour operator there. People were begging them to take them - I'm not sure how it turned out for those who didn't book ahead.

Volunteer Point was fabulous. Other aspects of the cruise have been fabulous. I tried to post a semi-live trip report, but the internet was not good enough to take it. I'll post a review when I get home.

Glad to hear it as we are scheduled to go there on the Infinity. We are taking a private tour to Volunteer point for $199 per person.

So is Patrick Watts not operating tours here any longer? He too did a terrific job when we were there. We took his Volunteer Point tour in 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the island along the way and back. Yes, Volunteer Point was packed with penguins, sheep, horses and people and many vehicles to transport the people.

Glad you got to visit the Falklands. It does amaze me how so many people will leave to chance an opportunity to get on a tour at the last moment.

So is Patrick Watts not operating tours here any longer? He too did a terrific job when we were there. We took his Volunteer Point tour in 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the island along the way and back. Yes, Volunteer Point was packed with penguins, sheep, horses and people and many vehicles to transport the people.

Glad you got to visit the Falklands. It does amaze me how so many people will leave to chance an opportunity to get on a tour at the last moment.

Rich -Patrick stopped doing tours in 2013. We had contacted him but to the sporadic cruise stops he couldn't justify setting up the drivers and then they wouldn't get paid for the tour and had already lost time from their regular jobs. He sent me three names. I contacted Nyree while on board the Veendam earlier this year when we thought we were going to make it to the Falklands, but unfortunately weather prevailed and we sailed by.

If anyone wants the emails, I can send. Please email me at aliaschief at aol dot com.

Susan

Glad to hear you made it- have been wondering. You should have the White Continent soon.... Am looking forward to your posts when you return. (Totally understand Internet connection frustration - I only used about half my package because couldn't get on or kept getting dumped- even at midnight with a strong signal registering).

Rich -Patrick stopped doing tours in 2013. We had contacted him but to the sporadic cruise stops he couldn't justify setting up the drivers and then they wouldn't get paid for the tour and had already lost time from their regular jobs. He sent me three names. I contacted Nyree while on board the Veendam earlier this year when we thought we were going to make it to the Falklands, but unfortunately weather prevailed and we sailed by.

If anyone wants the emails, I can send. Please email me at aliaschief at aol dot com.

Susan

That's funny about Patrick, because I just booked a tour with him for 2/2014. Maybe he reconsidered.