Transportation from London to Southampton

Scoobs9

Just looking for recommendations for transportation to Southampton cruise port return. We will be arriving in London (staying in Westminster area) for a few days pre-cruise, then travelling to Southampton.

We would like to arrange private transportation from London Westminster area to Southampton cruise port, then Southampton - Heathrow upon return.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

There are plenty of public transport options for both journeys - the total cost for two could be as little as about £30 total.

But if you want private transfers, the most reliable service & competitive prices are likely to be from car services based at the Southampton end, rather than London or airport-based.

Frequently lauded on this forum are:

http://www.smithsforairports.com

and

http://www.westquaycars.com

For a sedan, expect to pay something like £130 Westminster to ship, and £90 ship to Heathrow.

JB :)

We used Smith for Airports this past August (Heathrow to Southampton and return). Our inbound flight arrived early but our driver was waiting. In Southampton our driver appeared at the exact time requested. Both to and from Southampton we had a very comfortable Mercedes station wagon. The drivers were personable and we thought the price was reasonable (75 lbs to Southampton, 70 pounds return if I remember correctly). In addition, the folks in their office were very prompt in responding to my questions and setting up our reservations.

Thanks very much for both replies...I will look into these options. The public option we figured would be hard to use with suitcases.

The first thing I would say is that you should only bring as much luggage as you can handle yourself. The second thing I would say is never assume. Your public transport option would be probably taxi to Waterloo station, train then taxi to port; going back to LHR, taxi to bus station then National Express to the airport. YouTube is a great place to find videos of various options - check them out and see if you feel it's doable for you

The first thing I would say is that you should only bring as much luggage as you can handle yourself. The second thing I would say is never assume. Your public transport option would be probably taxi to Waterloo station, train then taxi to port; going back to LHR, taxi to bus station then National Express to the airport. YouTube is a great place to find videos of various options - check them out and see if you feel it's doable for you

If someone could show (or tell) me how to just bring as much luggage as I can handle myself - I would give them a gold star:D. Seriously that really sounds great, but as I start packing, things just seem to multiply! Oh well, good advice if you can do it. ;)

B. Cole

If someone could show (or tell) me how to just bring as much luggage as I can handle myself - I would give them a gold star:D. Seriously that really sounds great, but as I start packing, things just seem to multiply! Oh well, good advice if you can do it. ;)

B. Cole

I know what you mean! Packing for World Cruise and I definitely will not be able to handle 3 large bags and a carryon by myself! I am using smithsforairports to pick me up at LHR to take me to Southampton and then after the cruise to take me to central London. The cost is based on luggage as well as people. Since I will have an extra suitcase on the return (with all the souvenirs I acquire) I will need a larger vehicle. The airport to port is 76 pounds and the port to central London 122 pounds (includess larger vehicle and a 10 pound congestion fee for going to central London).

Thanks again for all your suggestions! For a family of three, I feel we travel quite lightly with two checked bags and one carry-on.

Contacted all the suggested companies and found the following:

Parker Car: $179 London to Southampton and $185 Southampton to Heathrow

West Quay: $165 and $100

Totally Driven: $121 and $115

DJC Private Hire: $150 and $85

SmithsforAirport: can't quote until 6 months out

Will wait for Smith's quote and then decide which one to book. Has anyone used DJC Private Hire before? I found them on an internet search.

Just looking for recommendations for transportation to Southampton cruise port return. We will be arriving in London (staying in Westminster area) for a few days pre-cruise, then travelling to Southampton.

We would like to arrange private transportation from London Westminster area to Southampton cruise port, then Southampton - Heathrow upon return.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If you want to travel on public transport, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a private transfer.

London (Westminster) to Southampton: there are 3x/hour trains from Waterloo Station (just over the Thames from Westminster/just one tube stop from Westminister Underground station). If you book on megatrain.com you can get tickets for as little as 1-2 pounds sometimes. They are for specific carriages on specific trains, but it's pretty straight forward, and if you don't pack everything including the kitchen sink..... Southampton Central train station is close to most of the cruise docks, (under 10GBP taxi), or even a shortish walk to the nearest one

Southampton -> LHR Airport: National Express Coach lines run from Southampton Coach station (not too far from Southampton Central train station) direct to LHR. Cost is low, and luggage is just placed under the coach, nothing too much to fuss.

Thanks again for all your suggestions! For a family of three, I feel we travel quite lightly with two checked bags and one carry-on.

Contacted all the suggested companies and found the following:

Parker Car: $179 London to Southampton and $185 Southampton to Heathrow

West Quay: $165 and $100

Totally Driven: $121 and $115

DJC Private Hire: $150 and $85

SmithsforAirport: can't quote until 6 months out

Will wait for Smith's quote and then decide which one to book. Has anyone used DJC Private Hire before? I found them on an internet search.

Are you sure those prices are dollars and not GBP?

The prices I listed above are in pounds...my keyboard doesn't come with that key...LOL!

If your keyboard doesn't have a £ sign, use GBP - it's the internationally recognised acronym.

I've seen folk use LBS.

That's pounds too.:)

But pounds weight :D

If your keyboard doesn't have a £ sign, use GBP - it's the internationally recognised acronym.

I've seen folk use LBS.

That's pounds too.:)

But pounds weight :D

Or if using an iPad, just hold down the "$". It will give several options.

GBP's it will be...thanks John! BTW...does anyone have suggestions for transportation in Le Havre, France to the D-Day sites in Normandy? I'm specifically looking at travelling to the Juno Beach Museum for the day.

Just want to get there and back to the ship.

Edited by Scoobs9

GBP's it will be...thanks John! BTW...does anyone have suggestions for transportation in Le Havre, France to the D-Day sites in Normandy? I'm specifically looking at travelling to the Juno Beach Museum for the day.

Just want to get there and back to the ship.

Hi Scoobs,

The only way is by road.

Which means:

- ship-sponsored tour. They tend to concentrate on US involvement in D-Day, & probably wont even drive-by Juno.

- renting a car. A good option, especially if you can find Canuks to share, perhaps via your RollCall.

About 70 miles. 90 minutes each-way using the fast A13 auto-route, though you might perhaps want to return along the coast via Ouistreham, Pegasus Bridge (& Brit airbourne museum) Houlgate, Deauville/Trouville & Honfleur although this can take 30 minutes longer.

The Juno Centre at Courseulles-sur-mer majors on a presentation (about 45 mins from memory?) plus free time.

Subject to time available, the interesting little town of Arromanches-les-bains is about 8 miles further along the coast. Clifftop vantage point (with 360deg cinema), seafront D-Day museum & relics, plenty of shops & cafes & bars, remains of the Mulberry harbour. A good place to take a break.

Again with an eye to the clock, Omaha Beach & American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-mer is a further 12 miles / 35 minutes. You need to be there for at least an hour, preferably two.

A further 8 miles / 15 minutes to the pockmarked headland at Pointe Du Hoc, worth a visit of mebbe 30 to 45 mins.

These places (and other sights) come up in sequence along the little coastal lanes, but whenever you feel you need to head back to the ship you can drive a short distance inland to re-join the fast A13 freeway.

Aim to spend mebbe 60 minutes in the quaint fishing/tourist port of Honfleur. This is about 30 minutes from your ship so that 60 minutes is your wiggle time for delays - if the day has taken longer than you'd anticipated, trim your time at Honfleur or skip it altogether.

Total distance / drive time to include all these places is about 190 miles / 5 hours.

Or just 3 hours to Juno & back.

You'd probably achieve something in-between.

Your ship probably has a late departure from Le Havre. But check the latest time you can return a rented car.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Le+Havre,+France&daddr=49.3299105,-0.4567292+to:49.353419,-0.8527886+to:49.3696946,-0.8803708+to:49.392574,-0.9856018+to:49.2421544,-0.2735437+to:49.2846141,-0.1806514+to:49.321257,-0.00571+to:49.3924297,0.1170211+to:Quai+Casimir+Delavigne&hl=en&ll=49.399356,-0.20462&spn=0.732847,2.113495&sll=49.388631,0.241699&sspn=0.366503,1.056747&geocode=FWI58wIdmaUBACl9iyGVIy_gRzESrzOveobBWw%3BFfa28AId5wf5_ymZxnDC3VgKSDHTs6oR4QKo1Q%3BFcsS8QIdzPzy_ylX1lk2PagLSDEyEwpQdmA4iQ%3BFV5S8QIdDpHy_ynp6aoABwgLSDH_07NxTvPl0w%3BFb6r8QId__Xw_ymxOBTqOQoLSDGUVZG5bJ08Kw%3BFSpg7wIdedP7_yml8wJiYmYKSDFDOqlvMGoqGw%3BFQYG8AIdVT79_ylXKd7NV2MKSDH_ueKm7Bg78w%3BFSmV8AIdsun__yntzQs2eX8KSDEt_AtK7hgOhg%3BFS2r8QIdHckBACnJXkHq7izgRzGWiZU_LMNiHA%3BFase8wIdG8ABAA&oq=Courseulles&doflg=ptm&mra=dme&mrsp=9&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&t=m&z=10

- a private guided tour. Expensive, prohibitive for most folk. But reasonable for sharing a guided van tour with someone like http://www.overlordtour.com/overlordtour-from-ports.html

Their private tour suggestions are just suggestions. For the same cost they will tailor a tour to your needs including Juno.

No personal experience, but highly praised by Cruise Critic members. Perhaps others can suggest other operators.

- a car/van & driver. This would be a lot cheaper than a guided tour, though of course without the background detail. But drivers will know their way around, and you don't need a guide at the various sights - they have English-speaking staff & plenty of the written word. You need to pre-book, and ask for an English-speaking driver. Sorry, no suggestions.

- has someone on your RollCall already arranged a car rental or vehicle+driver or a tour including Juno? They may be looking for sharers.

However you travel, you'll need to be prepared to adjust your itinerary as you go.

But however you travel, you'll find it an incredibly interesting & moving day.

This thread is titled London - Southampton. So it won't be read by a lot of folk who can give you valuable input for Le Havre - Juno.

Well worth repeating your question on a fresh thread. Both here & on the French Ports board (yes, I know it's not a Mediterranean port, but frequently questions on there about Normandy, Paris etc)

Edited by John Bull

I am staying at the Premier Inn Waterloo, near the London Eye, & need to take the train to Southampton to board the ship. When I go online to look at tickets, it is giving me 3 options for Waterloo (Waterloo, Waterloo East & Waterloo Merseyside) and 2 options for Southampton (airport, and central). It's my first time in London & any help would be appreciated as to which stations are closest to my destinations. Also, will I need to take a taxi from the Southampton station to the ship or is it walkable? (I will only have 1 rolling suitcase plus a carryon). Thank you.

Berni

I am staying at the Premier Inn Waterloo, near the London Eye, & need to take the train to Southampton to board the ship. When I go online to look at tickets, it is giving me 3 options for Waterloo (Waterloo, Waterloo East & Waterloo Merseyside) and 2 options for Southampton (airport, and central). It's my first time in London & any help would be appreciated as to which stations are closest to my destinations. Also, will I need to take a taxi from the Southampton station to the ship or is it walkable? (I will only have 1 rolling suitcase plus a carryon). Thank you.

Berni

Hi Berni,

Waterloo, Merseyside is a new one on me - but it has to be up in the northern badlands (wait for the howls of protest from scousers :D) somewhere near Liverpool and about 200 miles out of your way.

Your London station is London Waterloo, a five minute walk from your hotel. Your Southampton destination is Southampton central.

Regular train times & prices here:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

2 to 3 trains per hour, direct (no changes), about £38, journey time about 90 minutes, no need to pre-book.

But if you're not travelling on a sunday and you're happy to pre-book, tickets are available from about £4 on

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

Megatrain tickets are available for only a very limited number of those same trains - about one every couple of hours - but you'll find a time to suit. Must be booked on-line, non-amendable. Megatrain rent carriages, but they're exactly the same as the other carriages. A bargain.

Direct trains to Southampton are also available from London Victoria, but that route is very slow & circuitous. OK if you want to take your time going "the pretty way"

If your ship is at City Cruise Terminal (RCI & Celebrity among others) it's a 15-minute walk on level ground, easy enough with light luggage & decent weather. For other terminals best take a taxi from the station rank - no cruise terminal is more than a £8 taxi ride.

Hi JB….my husband and I are on the same cruise and roll call with Berni and also staying at the Premier Inn Waterloo. I really appreciate all of your information on this website, much of which I have copied for reference. Here is my concern. I have learned through our roll call that the day we need to take the train to Southampton, Oct 25th, is the start of a “half term holiday” in the UK.” Should we be worried about getting on a train due to crowds? We need to be at the ship no later than 4 PM.

Thanks for any help…..

Judith

Hi JB….my husband and I are on the same cruise and roll call with Berni and also staying at the Premier Inn Waterloo. I really appreciate all of your information on this website, much of which I have copied for reference. Here is my concern. I have learned through our roll call that the day we need to take the train to Southampton, Oct 25th, is the start of a “half term holiday” in the UK.” Should we be worried about getting on a train due to crowds? We need to be at the ship no later than 4 PM.

Thanks for any help…..

Judith

No worries, Judith.:)

It's not a major half-term for travelling in the UK, the trains aren't usually busy on Saturdays unless there's a major event such as a soccer match in Southampton versus one of the London clubs. (schedules won't be decided til about June/July)

Being October, the airports might be busier as families go looking for some autumn sun, but that's about it.

Megatrain tickets are available from about 6 weeks out

Edited by John Bull

No worries, Judith.:)

It's not a major half-term for travelling in the UK, the trains aren't usually busy on Saturdays unless there's a major event such as a soccer match in Southampton versus one of the London clubs. (schedules won't be decided til about June/July)

Being October, the airports might be busier as families go looking for some autumn sun, but that's about it.

Megatrain tickets are available from about 6 weeks out

John Bull, thank you so much for your expertise in this matter. It's always good to get these details that you wouldn't necessarily find online. I will check the sports schedule when it comes out and then make my decision. Again, thank you so much, you've been extremely helpful.

Judith, since you are staying at our hotel, if the train doesn't work out, would you be interested in sharing a private car for 4 to Southampton? (I already have quotes from 3 companies). If so, you can email me at: sunbern52@gmail.com

Berni

John Bull,

On a Roll Call for a cruise, a fellow CCer has arranged for a transfer from London to Southampton with adelphi executive hire. The fare for each of 6 is 36.5 GBP. I am considering using them for Southampton to Westminster in May. Do you have any knowledge of this company? Many thanks in advance. Patric

John Bull,

On a Roll Call for a cruise, a fellow CCer has arranged for a transfer from London to Southampton with adelphi executive hire. The fare for each of 6 is 36.5 GBP. I am considering using them for Southampton to Westminster in May. Do you have any knowledge of this company? Many thanks in advance. Patric

Sorry, Patric, I don't know them, they're at the London end - in fact based just the other side of London.

Sad to say, members of Cruise Critic & TripAdvisor haven't been happy with them

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=16552664

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k4473714-Adelphi_Executive_Hire_Essex_Tel_07900_330966-London_England.html

http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(adelphi-executive-hire)_232290.htm

http://here.com/united-kingdom/rochford/service/adelphi-executive-hire--826u10mx-ed519acb421b4bcebcd62d03b97bc6db

In all honesty, the rate (£219) doesn't seem special either. A standard sedan is about £130 from central London, a van surely shouldn't be 70% more expensive.

As I said, I don't know them.

But I wouldn't use them.

Several other operators mentioned on this thread, more on other threads on this board.

Edited by John Bull

Sorry, Patric, I don't know them, they're at the London end - in fact based just the other side of London.

Sad to say, members of Cruise Critic & TripAdvisor haven't been happy with them

In all honesty, the rate (£219) doesn't seem special either. A standard sedan is about £130 from central London, a van surely shouldn't be 70% more expensive.

As I said, I don't know them.

But I wouldn't use them.

Several other operators mentioned on this thread, more on other threads on this board.

John,

My contact has not been pleased with her contacts with Adephi and so is looking elsewhere. Thanks for the advice.

Patric