Jet Blue 1st timer

4FRCruising

I like JetBlue. The only caveat is their on time performance ranking is towards the bottom (74% of their flights are on time) and they're among 3 airlines with the highest percentage of flights delayed 45 minutes or more. (The rate is pretty low and so is the spread between best and worst). It seems to be random...they don't have any flight numbers that are habitually late...Southwest is really bad for that statistic. Just leave plenty of wiggle room if you have a connection.

They have a good record for low (but not zero) rates of involuntary bumping, baggage mishandling, customer complaints, etc.

Edited by kenish

The only caveat is their on time performance ranking is towards the bottom (74% of their flights are on time)

I suppose one must wonder how much weather and other similar factors have to do with this statistic. In October 2013, their on-time performance was 86.9%. http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/2013DecemberATCR.pdf

Love Jet Blue and fly them often. Not sure about on time performance but cannot remember any flight I've taken with them that has been late. Love their JFK terminal 5. Flight crew are very friendly. Seat legroom is very good. Just cannot find anything to complain about them myself.

We flew Jet Blue in November, non stop SFO to FLL. very pleased. No problems at all. One bag free but overheads still full. However, we chose a seat at the back because Jet Blue boards from back to front and we had no problem getting bin space. Ours was a trans con red eye and each pax is given a snooze pack with an eye shield and ear plugs. Not a big deal but a nice extra. Seat back TV and a snack basket also included at no added charge.

JetBlue has the most legroom in coach http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/2013/09/29/best-coach-experience/

and, they have a policy of not involuntary bumping folks. A few years ago they went the entire year without bumping anyone. Quite remarkable.

"Jetblue says that Jetblue has the best coach"

"Congress says that Congress is doing a great job"

I kid, I kid. I've yet to fly Jetblue because, for the most part, they fail to realize there is a somewhat sizable part of the country in between the coasts. However, someday, I hope to - I've heard good things.

I suppose one must wonder how much weather and other similar factors have to do with this statistic. In October 2013, their on-time performance was 86.9%. http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/2013DecemberATCR.pdf

Not slamming JetBlue at all...I really like them. Just pointing out their ontime performance is mid or low-range when ranked against other airlines. Weather probably isn't the main cause since it affects other airlines (except Hawaiian) who have a higher ranking. The other interesting thing is JetBlue statistics bounce around a lot on a monthly or quarterly basis. My figure was for 12 months ending October 2013 and there wasn't a general trend upward or downward. The "take away" for a JetBlue passenger is there's a 1 in 4 chance of a delay and they're among the worst 3 for significant delays (>45 min)..so a tight non-covered connection isn't the best idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Another vote for Jetblue, besides what has already been pointed out if you catch a price drop they will refund the difference to be used within a year. :)

Reader

And I've taken them up on that many times! I subscribe to a fare watching site and get updates if any of the prices on my purchased tickets goes down. Love this!

When things go well with them, they go very well. When things go south, they go south fast and it seems to take a lot longer for Jet Blue to recover.

Also they don't tell you, but that much hyped satellite TV doesn't work for most if the trip to and from Puerto Rico.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

The reason satellite TV that several airlines use (made by LiveTV) doesn't work offshore from the continental US is usually because the programming they carry has geographic restrictions on the licensing for any number of reasons. It's not a technical performance issue.

Agree that JetBlue is pretty good, but when things go bad it gets awful. They have some sort of "meltdown" every 2-3 years. Their first one cost the CEO his job. Their blog about the most recent one is rather disingenuous. They blame the FAA and new rules (they've had at least 2 years to prepare and other airlines have done so) and say they can't book passengers on other carriers because other airlines are also overbooked and having problems. Although that's true to a point, they don't mention their lack of interline agreements is the "root cause".

The reason satellite TV that several airlines use (made by LiveTV) doesn't work offshore from the continental US is usually because the programming they carry has geographic restrictions on the licensing for any number of reasons. It's not a technical performance issue.

Agree that JetBlue is pretty good, but when things go bad it gets awful. They have some sort of "meltdown" every 2-3 years. Their first one cost the CEO his job. Their blog about the most recent one is rather disingenuous. They blame the FAA and new rules (they've had at least 2 years to prepare and other airlines have done so) and say they can't book passengers on other carriers because other airlines are also overbooked and having problems. Although that's true to a point, they don't mention their lack of interline agreements is the "root cause".

The satellite TV is a highly touted perk, and if it is not available for reasons other than a technical glitch, they need to make that clear in their advertising.

The lack of interline agreements is perhaps their biggest downfall, and one of the reasons I shun them. I flew them once, on a last minute business trip to PR. I couldn't justify the $800 ticket in my usual carrier when JB was offering $250. They were fine other than the satellite issue, but I booked an extra legroom seat in the front, and it was a short flight from Orlando. I would be extremely leery booking them during winter months.

It does get mentioned here: http://www.jetblue.com/flying-on-jetblue/directv/

(in the small, faint, grey type below the colorful channel icons)

There were no movies in either of my flights. The system just went dark except for the GPS map and I think some music.

I'm glad I had brought a couple if magazines along.

Edited by ducklite

Just be sure you aren't flying out of the NorthEast during a storm ;)

JetBlue totally shutdown operations the other day. Other airlines didn't…

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/01/07/jetblue-new-york-jfk-boston-shutdown/4361203/

When things go well with them, they go very well. When things go south, they go south fast and it seems to take a lot longer for Jet Blue to recover.

Also they don't tell you, but that much hyped satellite TV doesn't work for most if the trip to and from Puerto Rico.

An interesting article on why weather in the NE hurts JB more than other airlines:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-08/why-winter-travel-havoc-hurts-more-for-jetblue

An interesting article on why weather in the NE hurts JB more than other airlines:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-08/why-winter-travel-havoc-hurts-more-for-jetblue

Not buying it. US hubs out of PHL, LGA, and DCA; UA/CO out of EWR and CLE; AA out of ORD and JFK.

All of those airports were heavily impacted by the weather, yet Jet Blue took the hardest hit, mostly due to their lack of interline agreements.