Anytime dining Vs Traditional dining

I-love-cruising

On other lines it seems that the wait for a table in their version of Anytime Dining when a guest just shows up is usually less than five minutes and no beepers are available or required. And it is still possible to get the same servers each and every evening if that is your wish.

On Princess they limit the number of traditional diners and make everyone else go to anytime even if they preffered traditional.

On some other cruise lines they limit the number of people in anytime and make everyone else go to traditional. That could result in shorter waits for anytime diners.

We are anytime diners all the way! I don't want to be locked into a set dining time -- I'm on vacation! If something comes up and we couldn't make a set dining time, I wouldn't want to make others wait. On our last several cruises, we've enjoyed a mixture of specialty dining, MDR, buffet, and pizza. We decide what venue to attend based on the daily menu and activities. On our last cruise we ate at both Sabatini's and Crown Grill -- wow! It was so much nicer than the MDR in both service and food, we felt it was so worth it. Plus the atmosphere was so much nicer than the MDR -- quiet and attentive service. I can't imagine slogging to the MDR every night at a set time -- it's just not our style of cruising. Thankfully, Princess offers options and that's why we continue to cruise their ships.

Edited by Paula_MacFan
wrong thread

Being herded in like cattle

We have always used AT and have never been "herded in like cattle". I also find that the waiters are attentive and service is always fine. On a longer cruise, they get to know you too and it makes for a pleasant experience.

As for meeting new people, that is up to you. We have no problem doing it.

... The great thing about Traditional is you are on a set schedule and know exactly when and where dinner is :cool: and never have to wait in line... ;)

Here is a photo of folks not waiting in line to get a pager to get paged to be seated at 7pm...

10958251676_930d76a944_n.jpg

20131019_191900 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

You have to wait in line for anytime dining???!!!!! u're kidding !!! lol

I hope this question isn't considered too much off topic but I was just wondering.

We have always done AD and had a table for two. When we're on the Ocean (which only has TD) in October I plan on requesting a table for two but realize there are a limited number.

When you're seated with others is it assumed that if you order a bottle of wine it's only for the folks that ordered it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all cheap and have no problem sharing my toys (;)) but we generally always order a bottle at dinner. Should we become friendly enough with our tablemates who knows....but it's not in the cruising budget to be sommelier to the table. :D:D

I'm sure I'm over thinking this but thanks for any responses.

I hope this question isn't considered too much off topic but I was just wondering.

We have always done AD and had a table for two. When we're on the Ocean (which only has TD) in October I plan on requesting a table for two but realize there are a limited number.

When you're seated with others is it assumed that if you order a bottle of wine it's only for the folks that ordered it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all cheap and have no problem sharing my toys (;)) but we generally always order a bottle at dinner. Should we become friendly enough with our tablemates who knows....but it's not in the cruising budget to be sommelier to the table. :D:D

You should make it known to your server that the wine is intended for you 2 only.

I have seen incidents where the server thought different an placed wine glasses for the entire table. :)

You should make it known to your server that the wine is intended for you 2 only.

I have seen incidents where the server thought different an placed wine glasses for the entire table. :)

That's a good point. That makes me think, is it awkward to order wine if it's not intended for the entire table?

Lolol !! We would love to sit at your table !! But this is a good topic ....I enjoy a bottle of wine for dinner too. Sometimes, I feel it is courteous to offer to your tablemates but at the same time ...they are complete strangers and bottles of wine can add up to the bill ! So what I had done in the past was to order a glass of wine lolol

That's a good point. That makes me think, is it awkward to order wine if it's not intended for the entire table?

Yes it can be awkward.

I am sure some don't think twice about it.

I would not expect to receive wine at a table like that if someone ordered it that I did not know.

Ordering a glass of wine is a good idea too. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Lolol !! We would love to sit at your table !! But this is a good topic ....I enjoy a bottle of wine for dinner too. Sometimes, I feel it is courteous to offer to your tablemates but at the same time ...they are complete strangers and bottles of wine can add up to the bill ! So what I had done in the past was to order a glass of wine lolol

Yes it can be awkward.

I am sure some don't think twice about it.

I would not expect to receive wine at a table like that if someone ordered it that I did not know.

Ordering a glass of wine is a good idea too. ;)

LOL...I think you folks have the right idea :)

As someone mentioned earlier, we were able to call each morning and request a table at a particular time with ATD. We never had to wait, and once we found a table that we liked, we requested that same table each night.

And I don't want to have to be on the phone each morning requesting a specific table or waitstaff. I rather have my assigned table and time and not have to think about it in the morning.

And I don't want to have to be on the phone each morning requesting a specific table or waitstaff. I rather have my assigned table and time and not have to think about it in the morning.

You don't need to spend time on the phone - if we're happy with our table, we just stop at the host desk on our way out after dinner and ask for the same table for the following evening.

On the question of feeling that you have to share your bottle of wine with strangers, turn the situation around: If someone else at your table ordered a bottle, would you expect them to share with you? I certainly wouldn't, and would thank them and politely refuse. The only exception we've experienced was when a couple at our table explained that they were celebrating a special anniversary and would really like everyone to share it with them. Unless I'm somehow hosting the table, I don't feel that I'm expected to furnish drinks for all of our table companions.

We have always done AD and have usually shared tables. At no time has it ever been awkward for somebody to order wine. People assume that your drink orders are your drink orders. Certainly, no one has ever offered to share and no one has ever expected to share.

Obviously, if somebody wanted to share, they can always make an offer.

Sharing a table for AD means meeting a bunch of new people but not being invited to someone's home.

I think the pressure for TD diners to share wine would be much greater as you all know each other.

We have always done AD and have usually shared tables. At no time has it ever been awkward for somebody to order wine. People assume that your drink orders are your drink orders. Certainly, no one has ever offered to share and no one has ever expected to share.

Sharing a table for AD means meeting a bunch of new people but not being invited to someone's home.

I think the pressure for TD diners to share wine would be much greater as you all know each other.

Good Point ! ....how come no one brought up buffet as dinner option?? I'm just curious.

On the question of feeling that you have to share your bottle of wine with strangers, turn the situation around: If someone else at your table ordered a bottle, would you expect them to share with you? I certainly wouldn't, and would thank them and politely refuse. The only exception we've experienced was when a couple at our table explained that they were celebrating a special anniversary and would really like everyone to share it with them. Unless I'm somehow hosting the table, I don't feel that I'm expected to furnish drinks for all of our table companions.

All very good points...thanks :)

BINGO! This is especially true as your tablemates get to know you, know that you are an avid wine collector, and bring a special bottle to dinner each night to celebrate your vacation. The urge to know if that wine "is really that much better", or to discover what makes that wine so special can lead to not-so-thinly-disguised hints for a glass or a taste, none of which is inherently a bad thing. Wine is a great conversation starter and a great learning tool. Sharing wine with others is one of the great parts of the hobby. But at a table of 8 with little to no reciprocation, things can get a little awkward.

BINGO! This is especially true as your tablemates get to know you, know that you are an avid wine collector, and bring a special bottle to dinner each night to celebrate your vacation. The urge to know if that wine "is really that much better", or to discover what makes that wine so special can lead to not-so-thinly-disguised hints for a glass or a taste, none of which is inherently a bad thing. Wine is a great conversation starter and a great learning tool. Sharing wine with others is one of the great parts of the hobby. But at a table of 8 with little to no reciprocation, things can get a little awkward.

I agree with sharing being a great part of collecting wine.

I go one more step in letting the wait staff have about a third of the bottle after the meal. I also even bring the wait staff a bottle from our home town as a tip.

Edited by wineforhealth

I order bottles (and I'm just one person) and never feel in any way obligated or pressured to share. It's not me that should feel awkward in that situation. If those others at my table wanted wine, they could pick up the wine menu same as I did.

I've never had a waiter assume the wine was for sharing, either.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently am confirmed for the early sitting TD, but noticed a problem. Two of the port days do not have us leaving port until after dinner has started. If I stay with my current reservation and we miss getting to the dining room on time, can we go to the AD dining room or are we going to be relegated to the Horizon buffet? Thanks in advance.

We were on the Royal in the summer and our tours came back later than our early dinner time in a couple of ports. We checked with our wait staff the day before and let them know that our tour would be late getting back and they let us know what the latest time we could dine at would be at our usual sitting. They gave us a 45 minute leeway from the start of dinner service. Our dinner time was 6:00 and they gave us up to 6:45ish to get there for dinner. It just meant that we had to eat more quickly than usual, but still had our regular servers and table.