Fed Ex or other delivery to ship?

GRBlizz

We are sailing tomorrow on Equinox, and just arrived in South Florida to realize we left one of DH's critical meds at home. Unfortunately, not something we can get replaced locally. Is there any way to get a package delivered to the ship within a day or so? Of course, they ports are all small countries - Grand Cayman on New Year's Day, Colombia on the 3rd, etc.

I figured if anyone knew how to handle this, y'all would. Thanks in advance.

We are sailing tomorrow on Equinox, and just arrived in South Florida to realize we left one of DH's critical meds at home. Unfortunately, not something we can get replaced locally. Is there any way to get a package delivered to the ship within a day or so? Of course, they ports are all small countries - Grand Cayman on New Year's Day, Colombia on the 3rd, etc.

I figured if anyone knew how to handle this, y'all would. Thanks in advance.

Hi, are you sailing TODAY (Monday)?

If you are sailing today, as soon as you get on the ship go to Guest

Relations and speak them. I would think they would be able to help.

You used the word "Critical"...does this mean "life or death"? I would

think FED EX can "probably" get this to you for a price whenever you

need it....(sans the weather story). It sure would be better if you

could get his meds in Florida though...........

Good luck to you:)

Your best bet might be to call FedEx and/or UPS and see if they have a location at Grand Cayman where you can pick up the items then get a cab to that office to pick them up. Both companies offer service for delivery to one of the their local offices for pick up and that might be more of a sure thing than delivery to the ship.

The complicating factor is that Wednesday is New Year's day and these types of offices might not be open.

Another alternative if possible would be to call your doctor and see if they can phone a prescription for the required meds into a local pharmacy by the port and pick those up today. The closest one I know of is a Walgreens on 17th Street right at the corner of the road that leads from 17th Street into the port. This is just a couple blocks from the north gate into the port. Here is a link to a Google Map

If you have refills available then you might even be able to arrange this without calling the doctor. You might even try calling the pharmacy at that Walgreens and explain the situation and see what they can do to help get meds to cover your cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

I had a very similar problem on a European cruise in October. The med was in my refrigerator and I forgot to pick up the 2nd injectable pen that I would need to get me thru the 12 days. I called my daughter in law and asked her to check with Fed X regarding time frame to get the med delivered.

She found that it was a few days as it would have to go thru customs. Anyway, I spoke to Guest Relations and we chose a port that we were sure the med would arrive at in time. Guest Relations then e-mailed my daughter with port agents name, address, etc. She then went to my home and picked up the med and took it to Fed X. We arrived in Venice at 2 PM and the medication was lying on our bed when we returned to the cabin about 3-4 PM.

Guest Relations was absolutely amazing and updated me on the status of communications with my daughter in law at least twice a day. They would leave a message on the voice mail in the cabin. I can't praise these folks enough.

I would have someone check with Fed X regarding timing as I doubt that Guest Relations will be familiar with that and then get with Guest Relations to have them provide the port agent information.

Good Luck, I hope this all works out and you have a great trip. I know we did thanks to my daughter in law and the super folks in Guest Relations.

Another thought---you might check with the ships medical staff. If it is a common med they might have it on board and you may to be able to have it filled on board. I don't know if they could write the scrip or whether your Dr could fax, e-mail, etc.I talked to them in my case but it was a somewhat unusual med and they did not have it. Fed X to Italy cost $100 but I figured it was worth it.

There are not many reasons a medication could not be obtained locally in south Florida unless the prescribing MD is not licensed in one of the 50 US states (or USVI, PR, etc)....

If it is a narcotic medication, I would make sure it is legal to ship it...I think it might only be legal if the person who receives the medication is the person for whom it is prescribed...so port agent could not accept...in some states or other countries, it could very well be wholly illegal to ship such medications.

If it is a compounded medication shipping is probably the best option...still best to check with fedex regarding legalities

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Celebrity has a port agent in every port that can receive and forward packages to the ship. That said, there is the possibility of a delivery failure, even with the most reliable shipping service. There is also the possibility ov a missed port due to mechanical or weather reasons.

With those caveats, you can call Celebrity and ask for the precise shipping information of the port agent that meets your time requirements.

As a secondary option, the ships physician can often arrange to have the port agent procure the medication, and have it available. The only issue with this is that it might not be covered by your insurance, so you might be out the full cost of the meds.

Good luck, and have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who responded. Now that we are back from the cruise, I wanted to let y'all know what happened.

I knew I could get most of his meds from Walgreen's in Florida, but his MS drug is only dispensed by specialty pharmacies, and has to be mailed. I had already arranged to get an early refill so that he'd have enough to make it through the cruise. Then I went and forgot it at home!

The solution we came up with was Delta Dash! I called a friend, who went to our house, got the meds we needed, drove them to the airport, and got them on the next flight. It was a little scary, since the plane landed at 2:30 and the package was due to be available at 3:30 - which was also final boarding time. The ship told me to have Delta deliver it to the ship, but Delta said they won't do that.

The ship was helpful, and told me I really had until 4:00. I took a cab to the Delta Cargo office (luckily, the ship port and airport are in the same space in Fort Lauderdale,) and made it back to the ship by 3:45. Phew.

Cost was $100 for Delta Dash (plus whatever I decide to do for my wonderful friends!)

This solution prevented us from having to worry about customs delays in another country. And, although it made for a very stressful embarkation afternoon, we were able to relax and enjoy the cruise after that.

Just wanted to put this idea out there, if it happens to someone else and the logistics work out.

Thanks to all who responded. Now that we are back from the cruise, I wanted to let y'all know what happened.

I knew I could get most of his meds from Walgreen's in Florida, but his MS drug is only dispensed by specialty pharmacies, and has to be mailed. I had already arranged to get an early refill so that he'd have enough to make it through the cruise. Then I went and forgot it at home!

The solution we came up with was Delta Dash! I called a friend, who went to our house, got the meds we needed, drove them to the airport, and got them on the next flight. It was a little scary, since the plane landed at 2:30 and the package was due to be available at 3:30 - which was also final boarding time. The ship told me to have Delta deliver it to the ship, but Delta said they won't do that.

The ship was helpful, and told me I really had until 4:00. I took a cab to the Delta Cargo office (luckily, the ship port and airport are in the same space in Fort Lauderdale,) and made it back to the ship by 3:45. Phew.

Cost was $100 for Delta Dash (plus whatever I decide to do for my wonderful friends!)

This solution prevented us from having to worry about customs delays in another country. And, although it made for a very stressful embarkation afternoon, we were able to relax and enjoy the cruise after that.

Just wanted to put this idea out there, if it happens to someone else and the logistics work out.

WOW...glad you were able to get your meds:) and thanks for letting

us know what happened. I have never heard of Delta Dash before.:eek:

Glad it worked out, and glad to know about Delta Dash!

I wish I had known about Delta Dash 18 months ago, when one of my student tenants called me is a panics she had left her passport in Mo and was already in Atlanta, on her way to Miami, and was supposed to depart the next day. At least it was the day before! The only thing I could think of at the time was to ship it FED-EX early AM to the hotel they were staying in the night before. One of her friends ended up taking care of it, but it was stressful for her!

I had heard of Delta Dash from business use many years ago, but I wasn't even sure it was still in use. I'm not sure if it's available in all markets, or just the hubs. Definitely something to keep in mind.

I do know that the max they can take is 1 pound, because we were using a Facetime call to select which meds had to make the flight :eek: