Guest Speaker advice /info please

Has anyone had any experience, exposure or knowledge about guest speaking opportunities?

I note on Princess (haven't checked other lines), that you cruise for free with partner / friend if presenting as a guest lecturer/speaker. As these cruises are reasonably lengthy, 11 + days it appears to be a generous offer. I would imagine that more than one speech/presentation would need to be covered for that length of travel.

Has anyone done this? On Australian cruises? Overseas cruises? What lines? What topics?

Please share any thoughts or information on this.:) Cheers :)

Edited by Cruise_me_Crazy

Has anyone had any experience, exposure or knowledge about guest speaking opportunities?

I note on Princess (haven't checked other lines), that you cruise for free with partner / friend if presenting as a guest lecturer/speaker. As these cruises are reasonably lengthy, 11 + days it appears to be a generous offer. I would imagine that more than one speech/presentation would need to be covered for that length of travel.

Has anyone done this? On Australian cruises? Overseas cruises? What lines? What topics?

Please share any thoughts or information on this.:) Cheers :)

Try this CC article for starters unless you already have.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1176

A friend (through CC) is a speaker and it is not free but heavily subsidized. It costs her around $65 per night for a cabin on Royal Carribean. The partner has to pay nroaml price though.

That $65 per night could be the agent's fee.

This doesn't sound such a great deal - pay $65 per day and air fares, accommodation in a crew or inside cabin, and working on sea days. That is in addition to the time spent preparing his/her lectures.

Edited by Aus Traveller

That $65 per night could be the agent's fee.

This doesn't sound such a great deal - pay $65 per day and air fares, accommodation in a crew or inside cabin, and working on sea days. That is in addition to the time spent preparing his/her lectures.

Normal cabin, not with the crew, working for 1 hour per sea day.:D

Thanks for the link Murgat! :)

Phew $65 p. Day:eek: that's not a free cruise at all! MicCan, looks like RC won't be an option!

I just wondered as the couple of lectures I heard / walked past weren't that ping hot, and presentations are part of my role work wise so thought it may be a future option!

I will keep looking into it!:)

DW was the guest Arts & Crafts instructor on a Royal Caribbean cruise last year. We're not at liberty to discuss the financial arrangements but she has submitted a proposal for another cruise in early 2014. We were accommodated in an inside cabin on Deck 3 of Radiance OTS. She had to present 11 one hour sessions (1 each sea day) during the 17 night trans-Pacific cruise.

Oh thanks Sparky. Reading between the lines, she is reapplying so it must have been enjoyable for her :)

Did she choose the ship / cruise etc, or did they just make contact and say we need you x date for xx sailing? Was her requirement to do 11 x hr sessions her or cruise request?

Did she need to provide her own materials? (If this is part of the reimbursement financial info that you cannot disclose, sorry in advance for asking :))

Wish I was arty:D

Edited by Cruise_me_Crazy

DW was the guest Arts & Crafts instructor on a Royal Caribbean cruise last year. We're not at liberty to discuss the financial arrangements but she has submitted a proposal for another cruise in early 2014. We were accommodated in an inside cabin on Deck 3 of Radiance OTS. She had to present 11 one hour sessions (1 each sea day) during the 17 night trans-Pacific cruise.

The people that do the presentations certainly come back repeatedly, so it cannot be that bad. Once you have your stock of presentations there would be hardly any prep work and if you enjoy doing the presentations, it is a great way to work and cruise.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Oh thanks Sparky. Reading between the lines, she is reapplying so it must have been enjoyable for her :)

Did she choose the ship / cruise etc, or did they just make contact and say we need you x date for xx sailing? Was her requirement to do 11 x hr sessions her or cruise request?

Did she need to provide her own materials? (If this is part of the reimbursement financial info that you cannot disclose, sorry in advance for asking :))

The costs/ financials may also depend on what your specialty field is that you present on.:D

The costs/ financials may also depend on what your specialty field is that you present on.:D

We met a Canadian woman who was teaching art (painting) for a few hours every sea day. She had paid the per daily fee as mentioned, the airfares for herself and her husband from Canada to Australia, and also paid for all the materials used in her classes.

The arrangements were all made through an agency called Sixth Star, not directly with the cruise line or the ship.

There are a bunch of agencies and details are included in the Cruise Critic article http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1176

DW applied for a specific cruise that Sixth Star had available. They asked for a different arts & crafts project for each sea day and each project had to be designed to be completed within an hour.

She had write a proposal that included extensive detail about her qualifications and experience as well as details and photographs of the craft projects. Guidelines for the craft projects were fairly stringent. Once Sixth Star had accepted the proposal, they then forwarded it to RCI for their approval.

Both DW & I (as her travelling companion) had to sign agreements which included a clause about not disclosing the financial arrangements but I will say that we provided all the craft materials.

There is no such thing as a free lunch (or cruise) and both DW and I spent many many hours in preparation. Not only in designing craft projects to meet the requirements and sourcing the materials, but also in pre-cutting and sorting the materials into individual "kits". We would also spend at least half an hour setting up the room each day and then probably an hour cleaning up afterwards and helping the stragglers to finish their craft.

The arrangements were all made through an agency called Sixth Star, not directly with the cruise line or the ship.

There are a bunch of agencies and details are included in the Cruise Critic article http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1176

DW applied for a specific cruise that Sixth Star had available. They asked for a different arts & crafts project for each sea day and each project had to be designed to be completed within an hour.

She had write a proposal that included extensive detail about her qualifications and experience as well as details and photographs of the craft projects. Guidelines for the craft projects were fairly stringent. Once Sixth Star had accepted the proposal, they then forwarded it to RCI for their approval.

Both DW & I (as her travelling companion) had to sign agreements which included a clause about not disclosing the financial arrangements but I will say that we provided all the craft materials.

There is no such thing as a free lunch (or cruise) and both DW and I spent many many hours in preparation. Not only in designing craft projects to meet the requirements and sourcing the materials, but also in pre-cutting and sorting the materials into individual "kits". We would also spend at least half an hour setting up the room each day and then probably an hour cleaning up afterwards and helping the stragglers to finish their craft.

I am sure that you both did a great job and found it rewarding, otherwise you wouldn't be back to do it again.:D

I agree, there is no "free lunch (or cruise)". Craft teachers or lecturers put in a lot of work, much more than other people see. :)

Thanks Sparky, I really appreciate your additional posts!

I love that you get to help out your DW with craft stuff, every hubby's dream :D

MicCan & Aus Trav. I agree re the no free lunches. Just thought it could an interesting option to get more cruises in! I will keep thinking about it!

I am particularly interested in lecturing, as I have Zero art skills to offer! :D

I love that you get to help out your DW with craft stuff, every hubby's dream :D

MicCan & Aus Trav. I agree re the no free lunches. Just thought it could an interesting option to get more cruises in! I will keep thinking about it!

I am particularly interested in lecturing, as I have Zero art skills to offer! :D

Good luck.:D

I am particularly interested in lecturing, as I have Zero art skills to offer! :D[/

Oh & being the upper middle class bogans that we are, I won't be able to palm hubs off onto a free cruise as a "distinguished gentleman" LOL!! :D

An email to one or all of these, asking for information on where to submit your CV may bring a few results..

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=200767&p=irol-careers

Lecturers do get repeat contracts. We had a very interesting lecturer on the old Crown Princess when we cruised from Hawaii to Tahiti. Several years later when we did the Round Australia cruise , the same lecturer was on board. His subject was Captain Cook and it was just as interesting second time around. He was also a retired ships pilot and gave wonderful talks of his experiences over the years.We got chatting to him and his wife on a shore tour and while not directly asking I got the impression he had paid for his cruise , (discounted ), and was not being paid for the lectures.

Its probably easier for both , rather than have all the hassles with the dreaded "tax" question.

An email to one or all of these, asking for information on where to submit your CV may bring a few results..

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=200767&p=irol-careers

Lecturers do get repeat contracts. We had a very interesting lecturer on the old Crown Princess when we cruised from Hawaii to Tahiti. Several years later when we did the Round Australia cruise , the same lecturer was on board. His subject was Captain Cook and it was just as interesting second time around. He was also a retired ships pilot and gave wonderful talks of his experiences over the years.We got chatting to him and his wife on a shore tour and while not directly asking I got the impression he had paid for his cruise , (discounted ), and was not being paid for the lectures.

Its probably easier for both , rather than have all the hassles with the dreaded "tax" question.

Interesting, On our last cruise, a husband and wife team both presented lectures. The wife did cook and other south pacific explorers while the husband did movie stars and other interesting movie related fun facts, like marriages beteween actors/actresses and actors and non actors.:D

I am particularly interested in lecturing, as I have Zero art skills to offer! :D[/

LOL!! :D

I think that the cruiselines would have a fairly narrow field of subjects that they feel would be interesting as lectures. Could I ask which field you lecture in currently? Would this translate to lecturing on cruise ships?

Some people have been able to prepare lectures relating to their previous working life. We had one lecturer who had been a test pilot in the US and talking about spy planes and a lot of interesting 'stuff'. Retired ships' captains can be interesting speakers. Forensics and police are other fields that could work well.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Who or what are some of the guest Lecturers or Lectures you have heard on board ?

One I remember well was on QM2. It was on the life of Sir Winston Churchill and was presented by someone who had been granted exclusive acces to ALL his writings which were vast. His full time job was to organise and archive everything. It was extremely interesting and a unique insight into some of his life we had never heard about. The lectures were packed out every day...standing room only .....with many arriving very early to get a seat.

:eek: kiwiK that sounds awesome and very interesting. I sat through a lady that talked about acupuncture & 'erbs (herbs). Boring as bats tinkle I thought.

But that may have been very interesting for some. The good thing about the ship's activities are if there is a good variety so that people have a choice. Last cruise we had a guy called Milos, who was fantastic with his various topics and I even missed going to Trivia a few times just for his lectures.:D

Some lectures are fantastic and with some....

well .....the best thing is that there are plenty of seats to choose from..:D

I think it also makes a difference with the type of cruise. If its a holiday cruise around the Islands the last thing you would be doing is sitting inside listening to all the other passengers coughing and spluttering.....however if its a longer cruise with lots of sea days , the lectures , providing they are interesting are worthwhile.

I remember on one cruise across the Pacific , they had a marine biologist and her talks just got worse and worse. At the final one , the sex life of a starfish , ...no one turned up.:rolleyes:

I have also been to others where the audience fall asleep.....yes during the day....On one occasion a gentleman in the front row nodded off and started snoring so loudly that the speakers mike was picking it up , and he had to move to the other side of the stage.:eek:

Some lectures are fantastic and with some....

well .....the best thing is that there are plenty of seats to choose from..:D

I think it also makes a difference with the type of cruise. If its a holiday cruise around the Islands the last thing you would be doing is sitting inside listening to all the other passengers coughing and spluttering.....however if its a longer cruise with lots of sea days , the lectures , providing they are interesting are worthwhile.

I remember on one cruise across the Pacific , they had a marine biologist and her talks just got worse and worse. At the final one , the sex life of a starfish , ...no one turned up.:rolleyes:

I have also been to others where the audience fall asleep.....yes during the day....On one occasion a gentleman in the front row nodded off and started snoring so loudly that the speakers mike was picking it up , and he had to move to the other side of the stage.:eek:

Yes, some people will sleep anywhere and luckily good presenters shrug it off and occasionally become comedic in how they treat the situation.:D