New to Princess - off to Alaska

familycruzer

I am a seasoned cruiser of the Caribbean but booked my first Alaskan cruise ( 25th wedding anniversary present to each other) with Princess. I am looking forward to learning about the ports and cruise line.

I already knew enough to grab a corner aft cabin though, my favorite place to be on a ship.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Take clothes to dress in layers. Weather changes at the drop of a hat. Bring a light raincoat of some sort that you can wear over other clothes in case it happens. Good sturdy walking shoes as you will do a lot of that. Also if you have the space and weight allowance bring a good bar of binoculars to see things on shore while on the ship. Things inalaska are more expensive than in the lower 48 so plan accordingly. Have a great trip and take plenty of pictures.

We were also warm weather cruises until we tried Alaska once.....now hooked on going up that way once every year or two.

We always book Sept trips, with the exception of one trip in May. One time in mid to late Sept, we had what some may call very bad weather .... we loved it nonetheless. The cruise in May had phenomenal weather as did the one this last Sept where never wore our jackets once but did end up using an entire tube of sunblock. Yep....in Alaska!

I skimmed through your post but didn't catch what month you were going but don't think you could go wrong with any month in which they sail.

Good job on the corner aft balcony. Of all the places we've cruise, Alaska is the one place where we have said that a balcony is a must.

I didn't check the itinerary but on a 7 day, the usual stops are Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.

In Juneau, I would recommend the Mendenhall Glacier and a stop later in the day at the Red Dog Saloon. The fish hatchery tour was also very interesting.

In Ketchikan, I would recommend hiking up the Married Man's Trail and maybe the Lumberjack show. They also have a lot of shopping here if that is your calling.

In Skagway, if they still have the you pick two tours, I thought the sled dog puppies and the gold mining tour combo was excellent. They also have a great museum in town -- all about the gold rush.

All of these tours could be purchased on or off the ship and are all very reasonable in price. I have heard some fabulous comments about the train ride in Skagway but I don't care for such long tours of sitting and it is pricey.

Enjoy....although I am sure that comment isn't even necessary!

Do the land portion first. I second the "dress in layers" advice. Bring really good rain gear and waterproof hiking shoes. Don't forget a good pair of binoculars. Splurge on a helicopter ride to a glacier and a dog sled ride.