Celebrity Transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia

suntan

We are sailing on the Silhouette September 12th. We will be flying into Rome two days prior to embarkation. We are trying to find a way to get to Civitavecchia without lugging our luggage up/down stairs at the train station. I'm travelling with two older women, one with back problems. Do you know if it's possible to purchase the Celebrity transfer and use it on embarkation day? I'm going to presume we would have to make our way back to the airport to get the transfer. We will your thoughts or suggestions on this. Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

By far the easiest/best thing to do is to join your roll call, then team up with other members who are also wanting to get to the port. We did this in reverse in April for 25/euro/pp and were delivered right to our hotel. We had a group of 8 IIRC.

It would be cumbersome and costly to use a Celebrity shuttle IMO, much easier this way.

I always take the train without luggage, but it is a pain to use when you have bags that have to be lugged up and down sets of stairs.

I have never done a Celebrity transfer but I would think you had to go back to the airport and catch the transfer from there.

I always use private drivers or a shared transfer company called Civitavecchia Cab Service.

The shared transfer is great and at a very competitive price.

I know you will get more responses to your question over at the Europe - Italy - ports forum.

Happy New Year to you.

Rome Cabs or Rome in Limo (just google their names for the websites) are both very reputable limo services. With three of you, it might even be cost effective to arrange for a car to pick you up (as opposed to the minivan that many of us have used to get to Civitavecchia).

To use Celebrity's transfer, you would have to get to their pick-up point with your luggage. By the time you paid for their bus as well as for a taxi to get you to their location, you may save money by having a car to pick you up at your hotel and take you all the way to the port.

These companies can get booked up. You should schedule the transportation as soon as possible.

Checking in with your roll call would definitely be a good idea.

As far as going back to the airport to catch a Celebrity transfer that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense (IMHO) as the trip to the airport is only a little shorter than the train trip to the port.

If you are really keen on the Celebrity shuttle you might want to see if you can catch it at one of the pre-cruise hotels as I am sure they have transfers to the port. I'd also check out the various limo services as I am sure you will find them less expensive and more convenient.

You can find a lot more information on this topic in the port section.

Google is your friend here, I found a few reasonable private transfer services online for our trip out to Civi from Rome. One thing to keep in mind is that not all companies are allowed to drop off right at the ship, some can only drop you off at the port entrance and apparently it can be quite the trek. If you have older people with you and don't want to wait for a shuttle, hire a company that can take you right to the ship! HTH!

And join our roll call! I'm on the same sailing :D

The train is €5 Rome to Civit. €8 Rome to the airport.

Unless you are near to a train station then there is the taxi in Rome to add to that.

NOTE: the civit trains do not leave from the main section of the termini station they are from platforms 25-28 accessed by an underground moving walk way.

If you get the correct train there are no stairs at Civit station.

Best to get a group(8) and it will be around €25pp in a taxi strait to the ship.

...If you get the correct train there are no stairs at Civit station...
I've taken the Rome to Civitavecchia train and always been at an outlying track in Civitavecchia requiring going down steps, through the tunnel under other tracks and up the stairs to the Civitavecchia station. How do you identify "correct" trains with no stairs. [i assume there is a way to tell this that I hope to learn about].

thanks

Thom

We're on the Reflection in May, Rome round trip, and have booked Rome Cabs for all our transfers. We used them last year when we disembarked in Rome and were very satisfied ---vehicle was comfortable and air conditioned, service was efficient and friendly. There will be four of us this time and it's well worth the expense to avoid lugging all our luggage onto the trains.

There are lots of private transport options that are far better than using the cruiseline option. We used Jump Limousine for transfers last July/Aug and found them to have the best rates. They charged us 140 euros for 8 passengers with 1 lg/1sm bag each for each of our transfers: Rome to cruise terminal and cruise terminal to airport. I'm sure you'll find lots of options by asking for suggestions on the Italy board or by posting on your roll call.

Don't think you need to get back to airport to get X's transfer. They were running a shuttle service from the Crowne Plaza in Rome but it was a little pricey.We used it once about 5 yrs. ago but now use romelimousineplus but travel with 2 couples so the rate is unbeatable as is the service. We also used them in Venice.Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!:):):)

If there are three of you I cannot imagine that a private car service would be much more $ than Celebrity transfers. Do be careful about who you select as not all taxi's can go all the way past security to the ship. A special license is required and we noticed a number of folks dragging their luggage through security to the porters on our last embarkment because their car service was not allowed throught.

We have done the train once on our first time out of the port however would never do it again. We have done private car service arranged by our hotel the last two times and it was great.

I've taken the Rome to Civitavecchia train and always been at an outlying track in Civitavecchia requiring going down steps, through the tunnel under other tracks and up the stairs to the Civitavecchia station. How do you identify "correct" trains with no stairs. [i assume there is a way to tell this that I hope to learn about].

thanks

Thom

Hi Thom,

How far the walk from the Station to the gate of port for the shuttle bus?

Or how long it takes to walk?

We are sailing on the Silhouette September 12th. We will be flying into Rome two days prior to embarkation. We are trying to find a way to get to Civitavecchia without lugging our luggage up/down stairs at the train station. I'm travelling with two older women, one with back problems. Do you know if it's possible to purchase the Celebrity transfer and use it on embarkation day? I'm going to presume we would have to make our way back to the airport to get the transfer. We will your thoughts or suggestions on this. Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Email me, I have a solution for your transfer problem. Done this trip more times than I can remember!

Shaun

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

We did a similar thing on our last cruise out of Rome. We flew in 3 days prior and had Rome Cabs pick us up at the airport and then take us to the Silhouette on embarkation day. They are a bit pricey, but for the convenience, it is well worth it. It provided a much more relaxing start to the cruise.

At least for our cruise, the only transfers Celebrity offered was from the airport to the ship, nothing from Rome itself.

Another great car service is, Aim Limo Rome. We've used them for airport transport and also for tours. A great company!
Another happy AIM Limo customer here.:) We used them for our transfer from a Rome apartment to Civitavecchia. Our driver was right on time, spoke perfect english, was very helpful, and delivered us right to the door of the cruise port building (handing off our bags directly to the porters).

You can check out their reviews online.

We could not have asked for better service!!

Hi Thom,

About 10 mins; exit station building to right, either cross over the forecourt and down the steps and cross the road, or continue along the path and down the slope past hotels and across various minor roads then cross the main road when you can see the giant sailor and girlfriend statue by the waterside. Either way keep the water front on your left as you walk to the port gate bus pick up area which is just past a row of sales kiosks/shops.

Another company to try is Bob's Limo--we used them the last time we cruised and they were great and reasonable.

We've also used the train to get into Rome, but we did have to go down and then up the stairs, which would be difficult with any mobility problems.

Hi Thom,

On one of our cruises where Civitavecchia was a port stop, we made the walk from ship to gate. It was longer than we expected it to be and we definitely wouldn't want to do this with luggage. The good news is that lots of the cab companies posted here do have the proper license to be permitted through the security gate. Just be sure to confirm this when booking. Our last cruise started and ended in Civitavecchia. We were dropped off right at the cruise ship luggage drop off and picked up at the same spot.

On one of our cruises where Civitavecchia was a port stop, we made the walk from ship to gate. It was longer than we expected it to be and we definitely wouldn't want to do this with luggage. The good news is that lots of the cab companies posted here do have the proper license to be permitted through the security gate. Just be sure to confirm this when booking. Our last cruise started and ended in Civitavecchia. We were dropped off right at the cruise ship luggage drop off and picked up at the same spot.

Was there a reason you did not take the free shuttle to the port gates?

The walk from the gates to the train station is about 10 minutes, 6 blocks or so, in a straight line--

Was there a reason you did not take the free shuttle to the port gates?

The walk from the gates to the train station is about 10 minutes, 6 blocks or so, in a straight line--

Yes, we had researched the train schedule from Civitavecchia to Rome and found that if we waited for the shuttles runs to begin then we would have missed the first express train. We were eager to get into Rome as early as possible so we could see as much as possible. We walked to the gate, bought our train tickets just outside the gate, but then needed to walk quite a bit after that to the train station. We did take the free shuttle back from gate to ship since we weren't in a hurry at the end of the day.

Edited by kathynorth

About 10 mins; exit station building to right, either cross over the forecourt and down the steps and cross the road, or continue along the path and down the slope past hotels and across various minor roads then cross the main road when you can see the giant sailor and girlfriend statue by the waterside. Either way keep the water front on your left as you walk to the port gate bus pick up area which is just past a row of sales kiosks/shops.
The port entrance and port shuttle bus stop are just on the harbor side of the point where Corso Centocelle deadends into Viale Giuseppe Garibaldi (the main road along the water] right by the fort. The train station is a few blocks east on Garibaldi (although technically it probably is on Viale della Repubblica, a small frontage road into the train station). If you look at Bing.com/maps, enter Civitavecchia, Italy and zoom in to see the harbor, train station, etc. Switch to "bird's eye" and you will get actual photos of the area.

Thom