Outdoor movie screens on ships

I recently found out that Royal Caribbean's first three ships each had outdoor movie screens by the pool but they were only in service a few years before technical issues and lack of popularity caused them to be removed. I just found this little factoid interesting; what is old is new again.

I recently found out that Royal Caribbean's first three ships each had outdoor movie screens by the pool but they were only in service a few years before technical issues and lack of popularity caused them to be removed. I just found this little factoid interesting; what is old is new again.

I just don't see the appeal. Liberty never had anyone watching them.

The movie screen was one of the reasons I booked the FOS. It did not disappoint, the sail away party and the contests were on and people did not have to be up close to see. I loved the videos and the movies were very good. It was a perfect end to the day, relaxing and watching a movie under the stars.

I just don't see the appeal. Liberty never had anyone watching them.

OMG, every time I'm on the Liberty Caribbean sailing the pool deck is packed on a Sunday during football season (I'll be on her for Superbowl). My daughter gets up there early to set up a place for us in the shade but with a view of the big screen.

OMG, every time I'm on the Liberty Caribbean sailing the pool deck is packed on a Sunday during football season (I'll be on her for Superbowl). My daughter gets up there early to set up a place for us in the shade but with a view of the big screen.

This is against the rules and widely despised.

Unless of course she actually stays there and only reserves 1 or 2 other chairs/loungers.

I suspect this is the case as you've been on the boards long enough to know about chair hogs and wouldn't be so brazen as to post that you are one.

I like the screen also but also like that there are pools without a screen also. Nice to have choices.

Edited by DrD

I just love the irony in watching a slideshow of sunset images on a big screen, when you are crusing in the Caribbean as a sunset occures just over the railing. :D

I can do you one better, on NCL Epic there's a big screen blocking the view of the stern and wake, and if often showed the view from the bow cam!!

This is against the rules and widely despised.

Unless of course she actually stays there and only reserves 1 or 2 other chairs/loungers.

I suspect this is the case as you've been on the boards long enough to know about chair hogs and wouldn't be so brazen as to post that you are one.

I like the screen also but also like that there are pools without a screen also. Nice to have choices.

Geez, yes, I was emphasizing that she is in charge during NFL games and sets us up and yes, we sit there for the whole game/s. And besides I did say in the shade which isn't typically too close to the pool. I've never seen anyone hogging chairs in the shade.

You guys are killing me. Cool your jets. Trekker954 hates chair hogs.

I have sailed the Freedom class pre and post video screens. I like the screen by the pool. On Freedom I had a drink at the bar while I watched Yogi Bear. On Enchantment with drink in hand I lounged on one of the loungers and watched Planes.

On the newer ships with more TV Technology the Poolside events like the Belly Flop was also shown on the big screen like in a Stadium.

I never thought of this for football. We are Auburn fans and the cruise director has confirmed that the National Championship game will be played during our cruise... Maybe outside?

Do they have the sound on for football games or some bad pop music?

The only time music will be played is if the pool band does a set. 3 weeks ago while on the Freedom-we watched the Eagles/Detroit game in a blizzard while the band played Bob Marley-it was different but I thoroughly enjoyed it. AND the EAGLES WON!!!

I never thought of this for football. We are Auburn fans and the cruise director has confirmed that the National Championship game will be played during our cruise... Maybe outside?

We watched the Boston Red Sox win the World Series on the poolside screen when we sailed on the Brilliance of the Seas repositioning cruise out of Boston. The entire pool deck was filled with fans for the final game despite rain which started coming down during the final innings. It was a great experience and the fact that they don't copy Princess' practice of overkill makes it even better.

Edited by negc

I have seen them show games in a lot of different venues. It will depend on your ship as to were its shown.

I have seen them show games in a lot of different venues. It will depend on your ship as to were its shown.

Sure they do show the games in many venues but we do love sports on the big screens. and they fit a lot more people poolside. More people for sports games are so much more fun cheering or booing. Nothing like the roar of a crowd when you team touches down.

If it starts raining hard, then you head for one of the inside venues.

We did attend one of the superbowl games in the theatre one year, the quality of the screen sucked so we caught it at their On Air Lounge. The poolside screen is far more higher quality.