Allure E. Caribbean-Trunk Bay

We will be in St. Thomas later this month and I am planning on taking the ship excursion to St. John and taxi to Trunk Bay.

Has anyone taken this ferry from the ship since the revised itinerary has been in place? I am wondering what time the ferry "should" leave from the ship if we are on time at 11:00am to St. Thomas? I am hoping it is prior to noon in order to optimize time before it gets dark. I learned today my cousin will be in St. Thomas and heading to St. John as well on a different cruise on the same day. (The wonders of Facebook!). We're hoping to meet up, but she will be in at 8:00am and will be heading back on the 2 or 3pm ferry.

I'd like to give her an approx. time of when we might make it there so looking for someone who has been on the Allure specifically with the revised itinerary who took the ships ferry to St. John to provide their experience as an approximation of what we could likely expect.

If they wait until noon or later, I might take our chances and be first off the ship and grab a taxi to Red Hook to make their noon ferry. At least the ride is shorter from RH than from the ship (I think...).

We were on Oasis a couple of weeks ago. We did the "Self Explore St. John" excursion because it is basically a ship backed ferry to St. John at a very good price.

We left at about 11:15 and were on a taxi in St. John in under 30 minutes. It is also a very pretty ride to St. John (so sit on the open top deck of the boat!).

From there we took a $7 p/p taxi to Trunk Bay. It's also about $7 p/p for entrance to the beach since its a natural park.

Overall it was a great day and we had at least 3-4 hours on the beach with a little time to shop in St. John. We will do it again. Believe it or not, the beach is even prettier than Magen's Bay and Sapphire beach on St. Thomas.

We were on Oasis a couple of weeks ago. We did the "Self Explore St. John" excursion because it is basically a ship backed ferry to St. John at a very good price.

We left at about 11:15 and were on a taxi in St. John in under 30 minutes. It is also a very pretty ride to St. John (so sit on the open top deck of the boat!).

From there we took a $7 p/p taxi to Trunk Bay. It's also about $7 p/p for entrance to the beach since its a natural park.

Overall it was a great day and we had at least 3-4 hours on the beach with a little time to shop in St. John. We will do it again. Believe it or not, the beach is even prettier than Magen's Bay and Sapphire beach on St. Thomas.

Impressive timeline! We did the trip last time in St. Thomas on our own (taxi to Red Hook, ferry to St. John, taxi to Trunk Bay) and the whole process took much longer - and the taxi ride back from Red Hook to the ship was SLOW due to afternoon traffic. We'll definitely look into this excursion on our next St. Thomas stop.

Thank you for the information. I too am looking at Trunk Bay on my Indy cruise in November. I have been to St Thomas twice so am not fussed about staying there again.

Out of curiosity, from Cruz Bay where the ferry drops you, can anyone tell me how long it took to get to Trunk Bay by taxi?

Thanks

Jo :)

That is a bit confusing. The boat ride from Red Hook take 20 minites and from Charlotte Amalie it is about 45 minutes. Did the ship use some sort of high speed boat?

We have done this ship excursion, too. [not on the Allure] The ferry ride is about 45 minutes. It is very scenic and has some narration. It leaves from the dock right by the ship. It is the most convenient and easiest way to get to St. John. It also maximizes your time in St John.

We are also booked on this tour in May through the ship. However, we are on the Jewel this time around so we will be leaving from Havensight, not Crown Bay. I believe Havensight would be a few minutes closer to St John's than Crown Bay, so perhaps that's the time discrepency?

I believe the OP's question was based on the Allure's current revised schedule due to her propulsion problem. I don't think anyone has been able to answer to that specific situation yet. I can't either. Sorry.:(

I believe the OP's question was based on the Allure's current revised schedule due to her propulsion problem. I don't think anyone has been able to answer to that specific situation yet. I can't either. Sorry.:(

Yes, it was....but some of the other information has been helpful as well. I wasn't quite sure the time from Crown Bay to St. John. I was hoping 30 minutes, but I think I should budget 45 minutes. Now if I can find someone who can provide any input on what time the tender was scheduled from the ship with the revised arrival time of 11:00am, that would be GREAT :)

I have been lurking on the long thread on the St. Thomas port of call board, but nothing specific around the departure time for the excursion when booked on Allure since the change of arrival time.

Seriously though, thanks for the other input as well!