To those thinking of a Christmas cruise 2014 and beyond

lawgirl

We did a last minute in March one year - SPRING BREAK is just as bad!!!

Kids in both pools and literally screaming at the top of their lungs - not just yelling and playing but screaming like they were being murdered and not a single parent having a care. Running through the corridors and playing on the elevators. Literally racing around the dining room tables (at the late seating too)!

Will never cruise in March OR over Christmas/New Years!!

A little leary about Alaska next year, but hoping that X will have fewer kids.

(Can't imagine how much worse it would have been on RCL/Norweigan/Disney that actually market to families with kids!)

Not all children behave badly. .....I demand good public behaviour. Always have and always will. I do not like reading when people say they will avoid all children because you do not believe they can't behave. Yes of course you have your own experience to go by, but when I say my children are well behaved, it is not my opinion it is fact due to how I raised them. Please try to avoid judging all children. Mine will not be running anywhere or screaming or shoving and will.in fact be supervised at all times....by me. There is no need for disruptive public behaviour by anyone. Which is why it is important mine behave where ever we go. I know unruly children can be oh so annoying but please trust not all children behave that way. Mine already know...no running or shouting, no WHIRLPOOL AT ALL, no unsupervised anything. And those rules will be repeated daily while on board. It is so sad when people dislike children to such a degree.....I like to go away every now and then and would prefer less children so plan accordingly. On this occasion I am taking my children and it is during a UK holiday. Hope my children get a better reaction. Enjoy your future cruises

We did a Christmas cruise on Eclipse in 2012. I have to say that the children were very well behaved and I was so happy to have them on board. They made Christmas more like Christmas. This is from someone who has no use for misbehaving children. Someone who has chosen not to have any. But someone who really appreciates a very well behaved child. My screen name, Muushka, is what our family calls a lovely, well behaved child.

They do exist, if you look for them. I have a feeling, drinkspackageexpert, I would call your children 'muushkas'.:)

That being said, if any of your kids blocks the elevators or pushes all the buttons or screams on the balcony, I have no use for them. And I, too will glare at them and tell them to stop whatever is they are doing and receive my label of "BRAT"!

... and we were on the following New Year's Eve cruise and the few children on board were absolutely delightful. We have also cruised Azamara when there were a few cute toddlers on board. However, we still do our utmost to avoid cruises children will be on. I have had little contact with children in my life. My husband taught in junior schools in the UK [aged 7-11] for the whole of his working life so we come from different perspectives but we have been warned by crew on board to avoid cruises with lots of children. There are responsible parent and well behaved children [not always in the same families] but whether these are the ones you will meet is impossible to know in advance.

On our second cruise (Carnival Triumph) at the disembarkation talk, the cruise director paid tribute to the children's programming staff, saying there were over 600 children on that cruise, but you wouldn't know it. (And we didn't.) Now Carnival is extremely family-friendly so they're presumably better prepared to handle large numbers of children. If I had young children, I wouldn't take them on Celebrity. Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Disney would be better choices for them and, by extension, me. Perhaps the children behaved the way they did, in part, out of boredom.

Still, you can't put all the credit or blame on children's programming and staff. The programs aren't round-the-clock and I'm sure many of the problems op experienced occurred later in the evening. That's a question of parenting (or lack thereof) and unreasonable laxity by management.

I too have come across this thread, reading with a sinking heart having already booked a Caribbean holiday for 14 nights in March 2015!

We have recently returned from an X cruise in Europe (3rd July sailing). There were a good deal more children than on our only 2 previous cruises. The children were no problem whatsoever. However, the older teenagers were a nightmare, joining forces and moving around the ship like a swarm of bees in the evening. At dinner they were so opinionated, speaking so loudly and over each other they could not be ignored.

I blame myself for not considering the dates. We try to avoid school holidays here in the UK, having completely forgotten GCE and A level students break early! It is a long time since we studied!

I'm worried now. Have a cruise planned for Dec 14-21. Will there be lots of kids, do you think? I was just looking forward to a peaceful, Christmasy kind of cruise. Did not want to go on Christmas. Now I'm ready to back out.

You should be fine, we frequently cruise prior to Christmas, right up to around Dec 20 which is around the date children start getting out of school for the holidays. The early/mid December cruises are wonderful. Very few children and yet the ships are all decorated for Christmas so very pretty...enjoy...you'll miss the kids by one cruise.....the ones boarding after you will be the ones overrun with children.

We were on a Christmas Celebrity cruise 2012, and it was just perfect!! I honestly can't think one incident with the children being an issue or nuisance in any way. I never had any children, and I know I would be more sensitive to that if it were going on around me.

Just before we left for our cruise, we were told that our ship was notorious for seriously loud music everywhere in all open areas of the ship. Now mind you , I LOVE loud music, what was being described was truly disturbing to passengers trying to relax or even sleep in their cabins. I was reading this on these boards and really getting frightened that I was in for the trip from hell!

Well, we went, and no such issue was there!!! There was a band playing by the pool during the day encouraging people to dance & play fun games for a couple hours, but that was all the "loud music" I could see could have been written about.

My point: Go on your trip and KNOW that of about 2000 to 3000 people on board, you will ALWAYS get some that are not happy about something.. they ALWAYS take the time to write about it it. Just remember there are 2988 others that had a perfectly wonderful time with no issues at all, that are out living life and haven't written about it yet......[emoji6][emoji126][emoji168][emoji160]

I don't have kids but I always wonder when I see people talk about their own kids being so well behaved if their kids are in fact the culprits who the rest of us talk about. LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

My 1 and ONLY experience cruising a holiday was on Solstice over New Years her first year. I will NEVER AS IN EVER CRUISE OVER A HOLIDAY AGAIN! The ship sailed from Ft Lauderdale and was full of little kids, tweens and teens. Rude rude rude and if you tried to nicely say anything all of a sudden they couldn't speak english. :cool: Their huge groups would lay across the chairs in the buffet with wet bating suits, the parents would try to reserve entire rows in the theater, shove you out of the way in lines - and then have 10 people cut. Madness on the elevators and screaming on the balconies. I had to have a family removed from the solarium when they decided that their young children should be allowed in. At that point it was the ONLY place to escape the madness and I had had enough. That was the cruise that ruined it for me with children. I now book when I think the likelihood of children is low - and I don't care how well behaved, cute or experienced traveler you think your children are - I'll be the one avoiding you. :D

That sounds very presumptuous about what is normal behaviour for children and families. I would expect you will offend responsible parents with well behaved children quite considerably by adopting an attitude like that.

You say they were rude, but who knows how you were addressing them? Equally, lots of the other examples of bad behaviour you cite are acts not limited to children at all; I see plenty of aged folks pushing in or reserving seats all over ships.

If you are as hostile as you sound towards children, then I'm sure parents and kids are pleased that you avoid holiday sailings. I expect there would be a mutual dislike between you and them!

I don't have kids but I always wonder when I see people talk about their own kids being so well behaved if their kids are in fact the culprits who the rest of us talk about. LOL

I actually kind of resent that!! If my children did not behave on public there is no way in living hell I would take them abroad, or in to town,

Let alone on a Celebrity Cruise

I actually kind of resent that!! If my children did not behave on public there is no way in living hell I would take them abroad, or in to town,

Let alone on a Celebrity Cruise

Just the thought that comes to mind. Especially when people see kids causing problems and their parents just sit there doing nothing. Maybe those parents think their kids are being well behaved too because they're numb to it. Possibility.

Just the thought that comes to mind. Especially when people see kids causing problems and their parents just sit there doing nothing. Maybe those parents think their kids are being well behaved too because they're numb to it. Possibility.

I am not one of those parents. I am not oblivious to my children's behaviour. If they misbehave, I do not ignore it. And i do not let it go unpunished.

Did anyone say YOU were?

A lot of people on this thread are saying that parents allow their children to run havoc......you are all.voicing your opinion so I am voicing mine and defending myself and my children in the process. At no point did I say anyone was directly.discussing me!! Please don't do that. I see badly behaved children and parents ignoring it. ....It annoys me ad much as those travelling without children. All I was saying I'd that it is unfair to judge ALL children. That's it.

A lot of people on this thread are saying that parents allow their children to run havoc......you are all.voicing your opinion so I am voicing mine and defending myself and my children in the process. At no point did I say anyone was directly.discussing me!! Please don't do that. I see badly behaved children and parents ignoring it. ....It annoys me ad much as those travelling without children. All I was saying I'd that it is unfair to judge ALL children. That's it.

This was a thread about someone who witnessed unruly behavior by lots of children. I was on the same cruise and also witnessed it. Not sure what the value was in telling everyone how well behaved your children are many times when the problem is obviously not your children. I still think some parents think their kids are angels but don't see the devils when they turn their heads. No one can watch their kids 24 hours a day. Just my opinion.

You should be fine, we frequently cruise prior to Christmas, right up to around Dec 20 which is around the date children start getting out of school for the holidays. The early/mid December cruises are wonderful. Very few children and yet the ships are all decorated for Christmas so very pretty...enjoy...you'll miss the kids by one cruise.....the ones boarding after you will be the ones overrun with children.

Hi Gracie:)...I will respecfully disagree with you. I sailed once

right before Christmas...it was when Century was doing 4/5 nighters.

I can't remember the final date but I know it was during what "most"

schools consider Christmas break time....there were ALOT of families/

kids on board. More than any cruise I have taken (that I can

remember:eek:).

I do agree with you on EARLY December..much less families/kids.

I was on Millennium a long time ago.....closer to the 10th of the

month...kids were still in school at that point......I would recommed

that time of the month:)

I think the week of a Dec 14th-21st cruise will have alot of families....

(just my opiniion).......and a cruise from Dec 7th-14th would have

way less.

This was a thread about someone who witnessed unruly behavior by lots of children. I was on the same cruise and also witnessed it. Not sure what the value was in telling everyone how well behaved your children are many times when the problem is obviously not your children. I still think some parents think their kids are angels but don't see the devils when they turn their heads. No one can watch their kids 24 hours a day. Just my opinion.

Like i said, I respect that the OP witnessed unruly behaviour..further down the thread, the opinion of others was that all children are like that or that parents really do not give a damn. Obviously you are not interested in the opinion of someone who does in fact keep an eye on her children 24/7 when out in public or in a situation where anything they do can be seen as unruly or disruptive. I would hate for my children to be the reason someone had a terrible holiday...Full Stop. And that is why i used myself and my children as an example...Obviously not well received, so will now keep away from this thread, safe in the knowledge that when we do cruise, my children and i will be complimented not frowned upon...Happy Cruising All :D

I do understand that's what you're saying, I do.

I see a lot of very well behaved children on the ships, and I give a lot of credit to their parents for their behavior. There are always more well behaved children then there are rotten brats, always.. But the few brats seem to be the ones that stand out so bad they spoil it for everyone to some people.

:eek:

right before Christmas...

way less.

Thanks, Lois. The 7th to 14th cruise has a large group of singles on board. :D Don't know if they will be better or worse than the kids. LOL

right before Christmas...it was when Century was doing 4/5 nighters.

I can't remember the final date but I know it was during what "most"

schools consider Christmas break time....there were ALOT of families/

kids on board. More than any cruise I have taken (that I can

remember:eek:).

I do agree with you on EARLY December..much less families/kids.

I was on Millennium a long time ago.....closer to the 10th of the

month...kids were still in school at that point......I would recommed

that time of the month:)

way less.

I agree that the 7-14th will have way less, but we just cruised this past December on Connie right before Christmas, very few kids, got off the ship on the 19th. We've also cruised on Millie, Summit and a couple Royal ships all during December before the 22nd and never had an issue with lots of kids. Not that there aren't any but never a situation of 100's and 100's like the OP is referring to and never enough to impact the cruise negatively.

We'll never cruise over the holidays both because the ships are too too busy but also because it just costs too darn much!!!:eek:

We do not cruise during the holidays or summer time for just this reason.

My DS cruised on a spring break/easter cruise on Princess a few years back, she had the same experience 1000 kids out of 2500 passengers. She said never again.

We had an experience for one night, in Miami years ago at the Hyatt hotel before a cruise, there was a school function and the hotel floor above and below us along with our floor was full of kids, boys about 10-13 years old. They were hanging out on the balconies, running up and down the hall, slamming doors.... the adults with them did not seem to have much control over the situation, went on til about 2am in the morning. We should have changed our room, we kept thinking it would not last for every.

I would expect there to be few children on board up until December 21, 2014, but I elect the sailings beginning Dec 20 and 21 will be full of them. Most schools are going to end Dec 19 for the winter break, and parents will be unlikely to take the kids out right at the end o like that. Our local schools have final exams the last 3-4 days before break. The year, our university even goes until Dec 19!

I expect most schools are taking two weeks off this year, finishing Dec 19 and returning Jan 5.

Of course, going the weeks between Thanksgiving (November 27, 2014) and Dec 14 will likely be the least expensive and have the fewest kids.

That sounds very presumptuous about what is normal behaviour for children and families. I would expect you will offend responsible parents with well behaved children quite considerably by adopting an attitude like that.

You say they were rude, but who knows how you were addressing them? Equally, lots of the other examples of bad behaviour you cite are acts not limited to children at all; I see plenty of aged folks pushing in or reserving seats all over ships.

If you are as hostile as you sound towards children, then I'm sure parents and kids are pleased that you avoid holiday sailings. I expect there would be a mutual dislike between you and them!

Normal behavior for children and families - I don't think so. So you would stand in the buffet and then let 10 people cut the line with you at the last moment? Do you, in your wet bathing suit no less, lay down across several seats during lunch rush leaving people with no seats? I did not feel that I was being hostile to say "excuse me - but there is a line and we've all been waiting" to those that were cutting. The shoving and pushing at elevators - oh the list could go on and on.

The parents were absolutely a part of the problem - it was the parents who would try to reserve entire rows of seats in the theater and then would get in big fights with others trying to do the same, we saw one argument almost come to blows. the children were out of control but it was the parents who turned their children lose so it does fall back on them. It only took one holiday cruise for us to say never again - lesson learned.

We've done many Xmas cruises with different lines and there have always been lots of kids on board and it would be disappointing if there weren't. The lines do great things for the kids over Christmas and it's fantastic to see their reaction when Santa appears etc. our kids loved every minute of it.

Yes they can and do create havoc and many others don't but it's something we come to expect. We've always found a quiet area somewhere that the kids aren't interested in hanging around.

Ours are all grown and left home now but to still get that smile from seeing the toddlers get a visit from Santa, to have carols sung on Xmas eve and to feel like it's a family Christmas even if that means putting up with a few noisy kids who are actually enjoying themselves.