Sail away question

fm6175

We are sailing on the Noordam tomorrow . A few family members will be watching on the portevergaleswebcam.com . I have noticed that sometimes the camera will zoom in on people on the ship . Any advice on how to get a close up of us as we way goodbye ? Also last year I looked for the camera by the channel as we left and didn't see it . Where is it ?? Thank you in advance for any info . Frank

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On the Port Everglades page, go to the bottom of the page where they have the different webcams listed. There should be 3 lines of yellow text. In the middle of the second line you should see "Request a Wave". If you click on that it will have a picture of the building where the camera is located (In the condos on the port side as you go through the channel to sea.

Roy

To get a close up by the camera, you need to request a wave. At the bottom of the main page of the Port Everglade webcam you will see 'request a wave".

Click that and complete. I don't know if there is enough time if you are sailing today, but no harm in trying ;) Lou and Dave need to know where you will be and anything that makes it easy to identify you.

At this late date I truly doubt if you can arrange for Gave and Lou to find you.

Just tell family members where you will be located on the ship. They can look up on HAL's site that area. Be certain to tell them what banner or flag or towel (hope you have a big one) you will be waving. Banners and towels and flags do attract a lot of attention.

Web Cam 1 is located on the balcony of Lou's Condo as you are leaving Port Everglades.

Web Cam 2 and 3 are located atop the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Hotel, which is to the right of the 17th street bridge.

So, for a close up you will have to be on the side of the ship that faces the Condos. You will also need to be flying/waving/flashing something that will definitely be an attention grabber such as a Flag/Towel or ........Also be very animated with whatever you use to get the Web Cam Operator's attention:)

Joanie

Edited by Host Walt
To remove exact location of Lou's condo.

Web Cam 1 is located on the balcony of Lou's Condo as you are leaving Port Everglades.

Web Cam 2 and 3 are located atop the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Hotel, which is to the right of the 17th street bridge.

So, for a close up you will have to be on the side of the ship that faces the Condos. You will also need to be flying/waving/flashing something that will definitely be an attention grabber such as a Flag/Towel or ........Also be very animated with whatever you use to get the Web Cam Operator's attention:)

Joanie

Joanie - I don't know if you have time to edit this or not, but you might want to delete the exact location of Lou's condo. If I were him I would not appreciate my residence being disclosed on an open forum. Of course, I am not him, but....... and the webcam website makes it clear where to look.

Edited by Host Walt

Joanie

Wow Joanie. You have just given out the exact location of expensive video equipment. I know that was not your intention but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Walt to remove the posts and you can re post with more general directions. Its a big building so people can find it OK to wave without knowing where the exact location is.

Edited by Host Walt

I agree with the others, Joanie. It's not necessary to point out the exact location of his condo...they just need to wave in that general direction. I don't think Lou would be too pleased to know that his residence has been pointed out on an open forum...especially with his expensive equipment. This is where he lives...not just a random office...so there are privacy concerns as well.

At this late date I truly doubt if you can arrange for Gave and Lou to find you.

Just tell family members where you will be located on the ship. They can look up on HAL's site that area. Be certain to tell them what banner or flag or towel (hope you have a big one) you will be waving. Banners and towels and flags do attract a lot of attention.

Last year we forgot to request a wave until the morning of sail away. Dave and Lou were kind enough to find us and zoom in a bit. Sometimes the zoom works better than other times.

Wow Joanie. You have just given out the exact location of expensive video equipment. I know that was not your intention but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask Walt to remove the posts and you can re post with more general directions. Its a big building so people can find it OK to wave without knowing where the exact location is.

Done.

When you request a wave the condo is shown with a red circle and arrow pointing to it , so I'm not sure Joannie gave out any classified info . For what it's worth we will be on upper deck as close to the big Noordam sign as possible . My dear GF will be wearing big white hat . Me a white **** waving red bandana . I'm sure the sun reflecting off my bald head will be blinding for all to see . Hope our family sees us . After we clear channel we will be in aft corner starboard veranda watching FLL fade away......

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi

Onmy cruise on november 8th on the Zuiderdam I really messed up. I did not know know where to go to wave. My cabin was starboard. it was still light and I walked around the top of the deck. I waved and waved but no one would know it was me. I walked around the ship but it started to rain. I returned to my cabin. I should have checked out the decks before I sailed. It is so different watching a ship sail out than watching ships sail away. So no one knew where I was on the ship at a certain time. My next cruise I will have something bigger to wave thatn the uless glow sticks I had

Mary

Hi

Onmy cruise on november 8th on the Zuiderdam I really messed up. I did not know know where to go to wave. My cabin was starboard. it was still light and I walked around the top of the deck. I waved and waved but no one would know it was me. I walked around the ship but it started to rain. I returned to my cabin. I should have checked out the decks before I sailed. It is so different watching a ship sail out than watching ships sail away. So no one knew where I was on the ship at a certain time. My next cruise I will have something bigger to wave thatn the uless glow sticks I had

Mary

Mary' date=' on one of the sailaways last week, a small group each wore luminous green t-shirts. Boy, it was sure easy to pick them out.:D Lou or Dave was able to zone right in on them.[/size']

Regarding the location of Lou's condo, the only person who is permitted to post that information is Lou.

The fact that the location is readily available on another site, the most that is permitted is including a link to that site in the post. That way if the other site is altered or amended to remove that location, there won't be any unauthorized continuation of that disclosure on Cruise Critic.

From our guidelines:

Guard Your Personal Information Carefully

It is best not to post your real name, address or phone number publicly on the boards. Also, keeping as much information about yourself private should be your first priority. Think carefully before posting too much other personal data on any public message board forum, such as your stateroom number or your real name, city, state and dates of cruising!

If we come across a posting that contains too much personal information, we will remove it automatically. It is, however, *your* responsibility to keep your personal information safe. If you see too much information on the boards, please use the Report a Post feature, or write to boards@cruisecritic.com with a LINK to the specific posting/thread.