The five-minute rule for the Signature Beverage Package

sailandcruise

On my recent cruise a table mate with the Signature Beverage Package would have three glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon each evening with dinner. After several days the waiters learned this pattern. To avoid his having to finish one glass and then order and wait for another, and to avoid the waiter's having to make extra trips for the second and third glasses, they offered to get all three glasses of wine at the same time. They told us, however, that they would have to run the SBP card three times with at least five minutes in between because the HAL bar computers are programmed to allow no more than one drink every five minutes for an individual package. I guess this is to prevent someone from ordering a drink for him/her self and for another person with whom he/she would share.

Five minute rule notwithstanding, I would strongly object to having three glasses of wine left at my place at one time to save the steward work. Not that I could manage three glasses in one sitting but the main dining room is not your local tavern and there is a form to dining and wine service.

I realize there are many who would disagree and that's fine. It's just that, for us, the dining experience is one of the reasons we love to cruise and the wine service as described would be just as offensive as having your soup, salad, entree and dessert all served at once to save the waiter time.

What struck me was that third glass, having breathed the longest would taste the best. But then I like to take a sip of a newly poured red, let it sit twenty minutes, and enjoy the enhanced flavor later..........then again, ;) I am good for one glass, max.

Five minute rule notwithstanding, I would strongly object to having three glasses of wine left at my place at one time to save the steward work. Not that I could manage three glasses in one sitting but the main dining room is not your local tavern and there is a form to dining and wine service.

I realize there are many who would disagree and that's fine. It's just that, for us, the dining experience is one of the reasons we love to cruise and the wine service as described would be just as offensive as having your soup, salad, entree and dessert all served at once to save the waiter time.

We also would not appreciate having all 3 glasses brought to the table at one time.

When we do dine in the main dining room, we sit at a table for 2 which is small. Having a water glass and 3 glasses of wine per person sitting on the table (total of 8 glasses) -- would not leave much room for our meals.

In the situation I described above, the waiters were responding to the passenger's request. The fact that it was more convenient for them was incidental.

That's good to know. The original post made it sound like the servers suggested this to him because they saw he always drank 3 glasses. If he was the one that requested it be done then it is more acceptable.

I so agree with you, Sapper.

We would voice our displeasure with a steward delivering three glassess of wine at the same time to each of us.

We normally drink from a bottle but the concept of the steward avoiding additional trips to bring another glass of wine is distasteful to me.

I agree with you 100%.:)

You would think that the waiter would put the equivalent to the three glasses of wine in a carafe and serve it that way. It only makes sense.

And really, who is anyone to judge what another person drinks at dinner? They may be there for three hours enjoying their meal. Three glasses isn't excessive :rolleyes:

You would think that the waiter would put the equivalent to the three glasses of wine in a carafe and serve it that way. It only makes sense.

And really, who is anyone to judge what another person drinks at dinner? They may be there for three hours enjoying their meal. Three glasses isn't excessive :rolleyes:

That sounds like a very reasonable solution.

I am sorry that I gave the impression that I was judging what people drink as it was certainly not my intention. I was just thinking that three glasses of wine at dinner would give me a headache when I said that. It was the principle that I was concerned about, be it two, three, four or more glasses served at the same time.

I agree that three glasses of wine is not excessive. I just like wine more than it likes me.

Edited by sapper1