Your favourite pre-cruise hotel in Fort Lauderdale

Lil' Baba

Good morning,

We are planning a once-in-a-lifetime cruise aboard of the Oasis of the Seas!

We will be flying in from Canada the day before we sail. Instead of booking a pre-cruise hotel through RCI we thought we would do it on our own.

My question to you is which is YOUR hotel of choice and why (because it's near restaurants, free shuttle, great breakfast or big pool, etc...).

We welcome any advice you have to offer... We love all the little details...

Lil' Baba

If you read down the board there are tons of threads saying exactly this. You will see several threads mentioning hotels on 17th St because they are very close to the airport, close to the Port, from some you can see the ships come in. Eateries are close, as well stores.

Others mention other hotels for free shuttles, budget concerns free parking or other issues.

All you have to do is a little reading.

If you are coming in by the early afternoon the beach is a great place to be. If coming in later in the afternoon, Riverside Hotel is in the best location for a stroll and dinner. If in the evening, you might as well stay by the port on SE 17th St. Embassy Suites is in a good location there, or I would book Hyatt Place on ValueTrips for great rates in the same neighborhood.

You don't say the date nor how long you will be in the city. As Royal says, there are different areas. Beach hotels are nice if that's what you want to look at and it's warm enough to stroll. Hotels on/near 17th St are very close to the port. That's a busy street. But there are restaurants and stores along there for last min. pickups.

The Riverside on Las Olas is an older traditional S. FL hotel. Newer updated rooms are nicer. Good restaurant and location located right on Las Olas Blvd with it's boutiques and local restarants fun to spend an evening. See below.

http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

I'd check out tripadvisor.com for info. Rates for rooms might be something you need to see too. We've stayed in all the locations. We would choose the beach first as we come from the cold midwest. Then we'd pick the Riverside. The hotels on 17th are fine, but a little too generic for us. We want to FEEL Florida as soon as we arrive.

Edited by eandj

Have used and love the Embassy Suites on 17th Street (as recently as this past October)...Great location (you'll be able to see Oasis at the port) so request a room with a port view. Also a very good included hot breakfast buffet and comp managers hosted cocktails/snacks in the evening....I believe RCI has used this hotel for their preferred hotel (at least in the past) but we have always gotten the best rate booking with "Last Minute Travel Club". Also a large shopping area just behind the hotel that includes Publix Market, Total Wine and a great restaurant called Duffys.

Edited by Ashland

The Embassy probably wouldn't be part of my once-in-a-lifetime trip but I don't know what your taste is.

Along with Royal and eandj's suggestions, I would take a look at The Pillars. Across from the beach and either a walk or pedicab/golf cart ride up to the shops at Las Olas.

The Ritz Carlton, Lago Mar, and Hilton would also be good choices.

A little further down A1A, I LOVE the Ocean B. Really nice and not too far of a walk from the fun of Beach Place.

Again, it is what you are looking for.

The Embassy probably wouldn't be part of my once-in-a-lifetime trip but I don't know what your taste is.

Along with Royal and eandj's suggestions, I would take a look at The Pillars. Across from the beach and either a walk or pedicab/golf cart ride up to the shops at Las Olas.

The Ritz Carlton, Lago Mar, and Hilton would also be good choices.

A little further down A1A, I LOVE the Ocean B. Really nice and not too far of a walk from the fun of Beach Place.

Again, it is what you are looking for.

Hmmm :confused:...I guess I read the OP's question wrong then..I understood it was her "cruise" of a lifetime and question was "What is your(my) choice/suggestion for a pre-cruise hotel...any advice welcomed"...I didn't think she was looking or asking about a hotel choice of a lifetime ;):)

One can read too deeply into these posts.

My personal favorite hotel for one night pre-cruise would be W Hotel at the beach. Why? Because it is a fun and fabulous place and I love the beds and the showers. It's walking distance to "the strip" but far enough to be away from the wildness.

Have only departed from FLL once, but we stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 and really enjoyed it. We had a view of the port from our balcony and watched several sailaways. (Wasn't up early enough to see them come in.) Our room also had a view of the drawbridge, which was entertaining to watch.

The pool was really nice and we enjoyed watching an evening wedding from the little bar area near the pool.

There were several restaurants onsite, from high end to casual. We walked through the marina filled with gorgeous world class yachts. The water taxi stop is in the marina, so you have some options for getting around if you are without a car.

We were in a tower junior suite I believe - had booked through a travelzoo special. Although it's an older property, it was very well maintained and I would definitely stay there again...

Happy planning!

Edited by tinabinab

One can read too deeply into these posts.

My personal favorite hotel for one night pre-cruise would be W Hotel at the beach. Why? Because it is a fun and fabulous place and I love the beds and the showers. It's walking distance to "the strip" but far enough to be away from the wildness.

I always forget how fabulous the W is. I love the pool entrance!

I always forget how fabulous the W is. I love the pool entrance!

Isn't it! After the W everything is just blah boring, LOL! I have to say that it was better during the opening year...there was a crocodile on every bed, a kalaidoscope on every desk, and really wide lounge beds at the pool. It's still great though.

Yes: Hilton Marina, Gallery One Suites, Hilton Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort, and Lago Mar (OMGosh, this was an awsome place!). (in that order starting lowest w/Hilton Marina)

No: to Embassy Suites (I'm a silver HH member and have had 2 bad stays here. We came back a 2nd time and tried again, still a definite no from me)

Be sure to do your research and read many reviews. At least the first 20 of each hotel to get a good feel for all.

Have a super cruise! :p