How often do shows change?

I'm a regular on RCL, but have been on the same ship within a two year period. The shows have always been different. I was just on the Inde on 12/24/13 sailing and have booked same time for 2014.

Should I expect the shows, specifically the performance based ones, to be the same? For example, we had Once Upon Time as a show. Will that change prior to my 2014 sailing?

The production shows have a run of about 5 years or more due to the large costs involved. Headliners such as singers, comedians and magicians change frequently sometimes weekly or every couple of weeks.
Absolutely correct. Ships go in for scheduled overhaul every five years, and I suspect that would be the most likely time to put in new sets for a new production show, but if a production show is still getting good reviews it may stay for longer than five years. We were on the farewell cruise of the Celebrity Mercury, and the last production show had been the first show ever on the ship - a 14 year run (the other production show had changed during that time). Headliners often swap out mid cruise, moving between ships in say St. Thomas or Cozumel. I think they are often on one ship for the second half of one cruise and the first half of the next cruise before moving on to another ship, but it all depends on the contract arrangement.

Thom

We did a backstage tour last week on the Jewel and the shows (RC singers and dancers) cost millions of dollars so they stay the same for multiple years. The ones on the Jewel have been in place for more than 5 years is my understanding.

We did a backstage tour last week on the Jewel and the shows (RC singers and dancers) cost millions of dollars so they stay the same for multiple years. The ones on the Jewel have been in place for more than 5 years is my understanding.

I was on the Jewel in September and was highly unimpressed with their production shows. I left each one early.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

I was on the Jewel in September and was highly unimpressed with their production shows. I left each one early.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

I didn't go to one. Members of my family went to the first one and the music was not recognizeable so they did not enjoy it.

During our cruise last month (December 2013) on the Explorer, it was brought up as a question to our cruise director Leigh .. and he said they now 8 year runs for shows, and that it can cost $5 million and up to do a changeover...

Call me the minority, but I loved the shows!!!!... (granted it was the first time we have ever seen any ship show...

...but ......would gladly be sitting in one right now again :)

Seems odd that it would cost that much to set up a single ship. Think about it. Broadway shows roll into cities for 6 week runs all of the time then move on to the next town. They set up and tear down quickly. All the stage sizes are different. They may run for a year or two but the travel the country. I wish that they would rotate the shows on the Cruise ships. I am guessing that the major cost is the rights to the show and the performers. The stage and props aren't that expensive.

... I wish that they would rotate the shows on the Cruise ships...
Instead the option is for you to try a different ship - there are some shows that are on more than one ship, but usually not the case. Smaller ports with fewer cruise options seem to rotate ships. Last year Baltimore had Enchantment move on and be replaced by Grandeur; Tampa had the Jewel move on and be replaced by Brilliance - so same port, same itinerary, different ship, different shows.

We love (usually!) the guest performers. Not a huge fan of "production" shows....now, a real musical with a plot would be grand! But, the production shows just seem to be for the sake of a production!!!

Guest performers change on every sailing.

We love (usually!) the guest performers. Not a huge fan of "production" shows....now, a real musical with a plot would be grand! But, the production shows just seem to be for the sake of a production!!!

Guest performers change on every sailing.

I'm just the opposite. I enjoy listening to the live music and watching the dancing, and dislike it when that gets interrupted by a plot.

Instead the option is for you to try a different ship - there are some shows that are on more than one ship, but usually not the case.

Yep, we saw Once Upon a Time on Freedom almost two years ago, and now again on Indy for this New Years cruise. Now, I do enjoy the show a lot, but I would think after 2 years and a different ship we'd get something different. :rolleyes:

Yep, we saw Once Upon a Time on Freedom almost two years ago, and now again on Indy for this New Years cruise. Now, I do enjoy the show a lot, but I would think after 2 years and a different ship we'd get something different. :rolleyes:
I've been on the Freedom several times, and am on the Independence next week for my fourth week on board her, so I have had "a few" opportunities to see Once Upon a Time. With a good cast (and the cast rotates en-mass about every five months) it is actually IMO one of the better shows (not sure I'll get universal agreement on that:rolleyes:). Compared to worrying about where my next meal will come from, I can take having the same show again.

Happy sails

Thom