Female Butlers

Jane2357

I've been closely following several reviews of Eclipse, as soon it will be our turn, Feb. 8th can't come soon enough. In one review there is mention of the butler who in this case is a female and they give her good marks for service. I'm actually just a few cabins from where this person was located - so there may be a good chance that I will also have this butler and I commented that perhaps I've watched too many old movies because having a female just doesn't fit with my vision of a butler. :o Cut me off Downton Abby right now ;) I realize it is sexist - but I'm going to be disappointed to have a female butler.

Now before you all rip me to shreds - obviously this isn't going to ruin my cruise should we get a female - it just isn't going to feel the same though and I'll be very disappointed. :( I liken it to those that prefer either a male or female masseuse - a personal preference. Comments? Experience?

We had a woman butler on the QM2, and I will admit, she was greatly lacking. In the 7 days, we were lucky to see her a few times, outside of delivering a meal. When we had breakfast delivered, she merely dropped the tray on the table, saying nothing. Perhaps it was a function of working for Cunard, but we've been spoiled by so many of our Celebrity butlers, all male. I will say though, the times we've had women cabin stewards, they seemed much better than a number of the male cabin stewards.

I've been closely following several reviews of Eclipse, as soon it will be our turn, Feb. 8th can't come soon enough. In one review there is mention of the butler who in this case is a female and they give her good marks for service. I'm actually just a few cabins from where this person was located - so there may be a good chance that I will also have this butler and I commented that perhaps I've watched too many old movies because having a female just doesn't fit with my vision of a butler. :o Cut me off Downton Abby right now ;) I realize it is sexist - but I'm going to be disappointed to have a female butler.

Now before you all rip me to shreds - obviously this isn't going to ruin my cruise should we get a female - it just isn't going to feel the same though and I'll be very disappointed. :( I liken it to those that prefer either a male or female masseuse - a personal preference. Comments? Experience?

Why don't you experience a female butler, then make up your mind.:)

Listen - I know that this is not a big issue on a scale of 1 - 10 :p, nor will it ruin my cruise if I do get a female butler but for the sake of discussion I was asking for those with experiences and yes comments :eek: Like a said - I imagine that this is a personal preference - some men prefer a female masseuse and wouldn't care for a male - I would prefer a male butler. When someone uses the word "butler" - a man comes to MY mind. If X included a maid in your cabin class - I would expect the maid to be a woman. I don't need to explain myself but I'll tell you - we don't have a butler at home - LOL - wait dh might beg to differ. :D

I'm not sure that I'd necessarily have a preference--haven't really thought about it and don't sail in suites in any case--but certainly don't deny you yours... That said, I'm not sure that I would project forward as to what might occur either...

Staffing on a ship--in terms of both stateroom service and dining--is extremely dynamic... Staff members go on home leave, return from home leave, are on occasion confined by--and return--from short-term illnesses or injuries, and sometimes--like us--have their own preferences [cabin sections; dining rooms/table blocks] as to where they're assigned if available... And while I don't know it to be the case for certain, I strongly suspect that there is some sort of seniority system and/or evaluation [guest and management] based system used to honor crew preferences...

Crew members sign on for a role--not a specific assignment--and can/do move around during the course of a contract based upon employer needs... Though unusual, I've had Cabin Attendants change during a cruise and I've certainly seen both Dining and Housekeeping staff change assignments from one cruise to another while doing consecutive cruises without having personally moved from one cabin to another or changed dining rooms/my preferred table...

My thinking is that--unless service isn't up to standard once aboard--you ought focus now on anticipating your cruise with expectation that you'll thoroughly enjoy it and have fun in the larger sense... Have a terrific time!

Oh for heaven's sakes, the fact that you started a thread to say this about yourself and apparently don't even feel the least bit embarrassed to post this is truly sad.

I am in a profession from which women were generally excluded not all that long ago, and we still are not represented in the upper echelons to the extent we should be, given demographics. To have anyone, let alone a woman, post disappointment about a woman serving in any job that "traditionally" has been seen as a man's job is just disgusting. It's 2014. Wake up.

(Oh, and it's Abbey, by the way.)

We've had a female butler twice.

One of them saw us by the elevator on a later cruise, took a couple of seconds to figure out who we were, put down her tray and rushed over to give us a big hug. She remembered us by name after over a year. The second one gave up her afternoon break to stage a party for us, fixed up all the food and drink, looked after people and afterwards had everything spic and span within 20 minutes.

Be nice to your butler, and he/she will almost always be great with you. Man, woman, tall, short, any ethnicity.

Oh for heaven's sakes, the fact that you started a thread to say this about yourself and apparently don't even feel the least bit embarrassed to post this is truly sad.

I am in a profession from which women were generally excluded not all that long ago, and we still are not represented in the upper echelons to the extent we should be, given demographics. To have anyone, let alone a woman, post disappointment about a woman serving in any job that "traditionally" has been seen as a man's job is just disgusting. It's 2014. Wake up.

Well said. I agree 100%.

If I didn't know better, I'd think this post was wrote in 1950.

Jane, if you think your butler is going to show up every day wearing tails and that it might look weird on a woman, well then, you will be in for a disappointment. They don't, and it's not going to make one iota of a difference whether it's a He or a She. None.

I think you may have a funny idea of what a butler on Celebrity does. Honestly, it's not like your TV experience of Downton Abbey. They'll bring around a tea trolley in the afternoon. They'll make your dinner reservations at the specialty restaurant if you ask them. They'll lay the table for you if you order breakfast on your veranda. Etc. It's no big deal. They're nice to have, sure, but if you're thinking you're going to turn into Lady Mary just because you're in a suite, think again.

We had friends in a RS on a recent Reflection B2B, and they had a female butler. We spent some time with them up there, and she was Great!!!

Having said that, what's wrong with the OP wanting to have a male butler? I prefer a male waiter. I'm getting a little sick and tired of this politically correct environment we live in. If you don't agree with others, you are labeled a racist, sexist, bigot, or homophobe.

If I'm getting a massage on board the ship from someone other than my wife, I prefer some nice, sweet young lady. What does that make me? :rolleyes:

Agree!

The only thing I would say is to give a female butler a chance.

I know when I went into sales, in a male dominated industry, back in the 70's, there weren't women in sales. I actually had some of my new accounts call my company and say they didn't want a woman to call on them. Thank God my company backed me and told them I would be their Sales Rep.

Wow. I agree with Cathycruises that a masseuse is completely different - and for the exact same reasons she mentioned.

Presumably, a butler is paid more than the stewards and certainly more than the room attendants/cleaning staff. So, you're saying that you'd be disappointed that a woman has earned her way into the higher paying, higher status ranks.

I'm glad your post is getting the response it deserves. Holy cow! :eek:

We had friends in a RS on a recent Reflection B2B, and they had a female butler. We spent some time with them up there, and she was Great!!!

Having said that, what's wrong with the OP wanting to have a male butler? I prefer a male waiter. I'm getting a little sick and tired of this politically correct environment we live in. If you don't agree with others, you are labeled a racist, sexist, bigot, or homophobe.

If I'm getting a massage on board the ship from someone other than my wife, I prefer some nice, sweet young lady. What does that make me? :rolleyes:

What's wrong with it is that the OP's viewpoint would require people to be hired (or not hired) based on factors that are utterly irrelevant to job performance, utterly irrelevant to a person's ability to do a job. (Suppose the OP said she would be "disappointed" if she had an African American butler?) This has zero to do with "political correctness," but a lot to do with fairness and basic civil rights.

I thought we'd moved well beyond these attitudes in our society, or at least that we are trying to. Sadly, it appears I was mistaken.

Edited by Turtles06

Wow. I agree with Cathycruises that a masseuse is completely different - and for the exact same reasons she mentioned.

Presumably, a butler is paid more than the stewards and certainly more than the room attendants/cleaning staff. So, you're saying that you'd be disappointed that a woman has earned her way into the higher paying, higher status ranks.

You are presumably wrong! In a suite, the butler gets paid the same as the stateroom attendant - $3.50 a day, and in a CC/AQ, the stateroom attendant gets $4.00 a day. http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

Some of you take life WAY too seriously. :cool: I have never claimed a female shouldn't be a butler just that I have a preference, and no I don't feel one bit bad about the fact that I would prefer a male butler, I also prefer the salesperson at the make-up counter to be female :eek: Lately some stores have male salespeople in the female clothing department - and I'm not a fan of that either. Comparing a masseuse to a butler to me is the same - both are service providers - dh would ask for a female masseuse - I would take female first but would not refuse a male. For those that had to bring up the race issue - to me that is SAD, it has nothing to do with the conversation.

Thank you to those of you have actually experienced a female butler and have glowing reviews.

Listen - I know that this is not a big issue on a scale of 1 - 10 :p, nor will it ruin my cruise if I do get a female butler but for the sake of discussion I was asking for those with experiences and yes comments :eek: Like a said - I imagine that this is a personal preference - some men prefer a female masseuse and wouldn't care for a male - I would prefer a male butler. When someone uses the word "butler" - a man comes to MY mind. If X included a maid in your cabin class - I would expect the maid to be a woman. I don't need to explain myself but I'll tell you - we don't have a butler at home - LOL - wait dh might beg to differ. :D

And should nurses be women, and doctors only men? Ouch.

Why would you prefer a male butler other an outdated image based upon a hierarchical profession one gender once deemed themselves the better suited over another gender?

The duties of a cabin butler are not requisite upon gender.

You are presumably wrong! In a suite, the butler gets paid the same as the stateroom attendant - $3.50 a day, and in a CC/AQ, the stateroom attendant gets $4.00 a day. http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

I may be wrong, but the link you posted is for suggested tips, not for base pay. I find it hard to believe that a butler, who provides service for the highest-paying guests, is not better paid than a regular room attendant. It may be true, but I'd surprised.

In any event, the Stone Ages are over. There are female doctors, male nurses, female butlers, and male perfume counter attendants. :)