Medicine bag......

Esilef

I believe the reference in that post was for Tylenol containing codeine. That requires Rx in U.S. In Canada, Acetemetephine w/ low amount of codeine can be purchased without Rx. Countries that do not permit narcotic medications to be carried could outlaw that product.

This is what was written:

"Just be aware that some countries regard over the counter cold remedies such as Sudafed, Tylenol, Advil etc and pain relief containing codeine as banned drugs."

I read it as Sudafed, Tylenol, and Advil as one part of the sentence with pain relief with Codeine as a separate line item.

I would think that if he was talking about T-3's he wouldn't have mentioned Tylenol along with the Sudafed and then pain relief containing Codeine.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I don't think anyone was suggesting if you have a known problem and under doctor's care not to take antibiotics. it the folks who hal them along 'just in case'.

My mistake, my apologies for misunderstanding.

I also agree that antibiotics are way over prescribed which has led to resistance but here is the thing if people have these antibiotics at home they are going to take them anyway,it isn't going to make a difference if they are on a ship or not. Whether they take them this week or next week so taking them with isn't really going to change anything unfortunately.

Just wondering if you don't mind me asking what is required to be packed in our cruising medicine bag?

Sea sickness tablets

Gastro stop

Aspirin

One requirement: carry it with you. Last year we had a post from a couple who had to disembark a ship because their medications bag could not be found. It was eventually found - sitting in their living room where they had left it.:eek:

One requirement: carry it with you. Last year we had a post from a couple who had to disembark a ship because their medications bag could not be found. It was eventually found - sitting in their living room where they had left it.:eek:

I would hope that included necessary prescription medications and not just the OTC things they brought just in case. My prescription meds stay with me in my small personal item carry on, along with the other absolute necessities--passport, money, credit cards, license, glasses, etc.

all antibiotics are not created equal and to just use an antibiotic because you THINK you need one is not good. first you need to know how to take them, when to take them, what other Rx that you take they may affect, etc.. how would most of you decide when you needed to take an antibiotic, how much you needed to take and for how long?

I'll put into contact lens cases. Really good for Neosporin and Vaseline.

why would you want to pollute those items by transferring them?

Because the original containers are too big for the purpose. Every ounce counts when you travel are linited to 10Kcarryone/only one bag. And, How the heck does it (the correct word would be) contaminate them when they are put into a clean case and transferred with clean implements. It's not like I changed the baby then transferred the goo. When needed just washed hands also dip into the goo.

Haven't gotten sick fron using these products in this way.

Don't worry, I won't be giving you any.

We get Neosporin packets. 1/32 ounce per, we take 2-3 along. Between them they don't weigh an ounce and take less room than a boarding pass, and if the injury needs more than that, it requires medical attention.

Ok, what about vaseline? I've seen the little travel size of vaseline. No way could I get my finger into it. Qtips leave strings.

Actually using hand sanitizer works as well as or better than the Neo. But that stuff stings.

Edited by SadieN

Ok, what about vaseline? I've seen the little travel size of vaseline. No way could I get my finger into it. Qtips leave strings.

Actually using hand sanitizer works as well as or better than the Neo. But that stuff stings.

The nice thing about Neosporin is that a dab under a Band aid will stay out offering protection both in a barrier form and with the antibiotic--and as mentioned, doesn't sting. Hand gel is too watery to do that.

Vaseline is useless for injuries. It's good for lubing a thermometer to take the dogs temperature, that's about it.

Edited by ducklite

Just wondering if you don't mind me asking what is required to be packed in our cruising medicine bag?

Sea sickness tablets

Gastro stop

Aspirin

Required - nothing. You are not required to even bring one. What you should bring totally depends upon your medical conditions.

In my case - it would be my diabetes medication and several bottles of medicinal rum.

DON

"Just be aware that some countries regard over the counter cold remedies such as Sudafed, Tylenol, Advil etc and pain relief containing codeine as banned drugs."

I read it as Sudafed, Tylenol, and Advil as one part of the sentence with pain relief with Codeine as a separate line item.

I would think that if he was talking about T-3's he wouldn't have mentioned Tylenol along with the Sudafed and then pain relief containing Codeine.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos..

Yes, and I replied there are tylenol without codeine and tylenol with codeine products. They are both tylenol.

There is Tylenol with codeine that is 300 mg acetaminophen, 15 mg caffeine and 8 mg codeine. No Rx needed as it is sold OTC in Canada.

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, and I replied there are tylenol without codeine and tylenol with codeine products. They are both tylenol.

But both aren't prohibited, which is my point.

But both aren't prohibited, which is my point.

:confused:

My underlines.

:confused:

My underlines.

I don't see underlines, but frankly it's not worth arguing about. I think we can both agree that it was a poorly constructed sentence.

• 3 weeks later...

We take everything listed on this thread plus ample bandaids, bandages, needle, tweezers,stuff for ears, tea tree oil, airborne, gloves, long wrap for setting sprains, you never know... the clinic is expensive and if we can self treat, all the better. Vinegar for sunburns and jellyfish stings. It all fits in gallon ziplock.

There is Tylenol with codeine that is 300 mg acetaminophen, 15 mg caffeine and 8 mg codeine. No Rx needed as it is sold OTC in Canada.

The funny thing is - in Canada you need a prescription for Neosporin. I forgot mine one time, went to a pharmacy looking for some and the pharmacist looked at me liked I was a moron. Polysporin you can get over the counter - Neosporin... not so much. A prescription is needed. Cracked me up. Codeine cough medicine and muscle relaxers are over the counter as well.

Another thing to add, just in case - if you are still in your ummm, special friend time of life. Tampax (or whatever you use). We cruised with a friend who got her visit the first night of the cruise. She hadn't brought anything because she wasn't due, the stores were closed and no one else in our group brought anything. One of the gals from the Purser's desk lent her enough until the next morning.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I use a pill organizer rather than waste the space for all my individual Rx bottles, but DO get a printout from my doctor of all my meds and dosages. It's actually printed on the reciept I get at the end of each visit, and includes the doctor's contact information.

Your pharmacy might also have a summary -- some of them include images of the pills themselves. If you were to become ill or injured, it can help family members and medical staff identify the meds in your kit.

Sea sickness tablets

Gastro stop

Aspirin

We pack the following:

Dramamine (DS sometimes turns a little green from the sea)

Tums

Immodium D

Motrin and Tylenol (I Can't take Motrin and DH can't take Tylenol)

Benadryl (DH has had 2 allergic reactions in his life...one was on a cruise)

Cortizon Cream (I got a rash on a cruise for the laundry soap)

Cold Medicine (DH, DD, and I all got colds on our August cruise)

Neosporin

Band Aids

Aloe (for sunburns)

Visine (DS had a cold that settled in his eyes one cruise and needed this)

Prescription Medicines and Vitamins (Mostly for me :o)

I use a pill organizer rather than waste the space for all my individual Rx bottles, but DO get a printout from my doctor of all my meds and dosages. It's actually printed on the reciept I get at the end of each visit, and includes the doctor's contact information.

Your pharmacy might also have a summary -- some of them include images of the pills themselves. If you were to become ill or injured, it can help family members and medical staff identify the meds in your kit.

I get a printout of all my meds at the end of each doctor's appointment and our pharmacy includes an info sheet with every refill that delineates name of med and all other pertinent info including our name on each sheet. One would think that should suffice.

BUT each time I pack up all our pharmacy bottles (we don't do mail order so have the normal size small bottles) it resonates in my head the time a TSA Officer said to me "Good thing you have all those pills in those bottles or you could have lost them". They saw something on the x-ray of my carryon and wanted to see what it was and in doing so saw the ziploc at the top of my carryon with all my pills. The metal object they had seen was jewelry but the fact they saw those pills and made that comment was enough for me to never take the chance of having our meds confiscated.

Whether they should be able to take them or what the written rule is doesn't matter to me. I don't want to be the persons standing there arguing about it, losing the argument and having to return home because we cannot travel if we don't have our necessary medications.

The comments about the mother daughter who died is so unrelated they were not on a cruise just on a normal holiday in Bali and had severe food poisoning (the full autopsy has not been released yet, but there have been a few cases following this in Bali that suggest poisoning (this is purely speculation though)).

The reason why it got more attention in media was that the mother was a nurse with a fully equipped emergency medicine bag.

I'm just packing my normal nurafen, bandaids, day and night cold tablets, dermaid (cortisone cream), tweezers are in my makeup bag, baby wipes, eucalyptus antibacterial room spray (kills bad smells and bacteria lurking around).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think just about everything has been mentioned here, but just in case there are any other Aussies about, in terms we'd understand :)

Maxolon

Stemitil

Travelcalm

Gastrostop

Mylanta / Gaviscon

Panadol

Advil

Clonea

Voltarin

Deep Heat (hubby's second home on the ship is the gym)

As for Antibiotics, I haven't read the whole thread but here in Australia they are all prescription, we wouldn't even be able to get them unless we somehow lied and had a dodgy doctor.

I understand the cost of seeing the GP on board and the benefit of having certain medications such as maxolon to avoid that cost, but I really think if you develop an infection and need antibiotics you should just deal with the cost and see a doctor. I'm a healthcare professional and in most cases could match the right antibiotic, dose regime and infection, but I still wouldn't do it. Plus, you would have to have one pretty impressive antibiotic collection to match every possible infection out there. I have an imprest at work and there are still many we need to order in.

As for decanting into smaller containers, the pharmacy I use will do that for specific purposes and I don't see how it's any different to Webster or sachet packing or those dosettes. So long as the containers are clean.