Sleeping on deck ?

pRuben

I am heading for my first cruise on Carnival. I was wondering if anyone knows, if sleeping at night on the deck is allowed ? If I bring my sleeping bag and sleeping pad, or even better, small portable hammock ?

Would I be able to use it ? Are there rules against that. ?

thanks!

No rules against it, have seen some do this but they might have been just "passed out". No need for sleeping bag as the lounge chairs are comfy, also the towels are good for a cover up so I would not bring anything extra along for this purpose.

I am heading for my first cruise on Carnival. I was wondering if anyone knows, if sleeping at night on the deck is allowed ? If I bring my sleeping bag and sleeping pad, or even better, small portable hammock ?

Would I be able to use it ? Are there rules against that. ?

thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic pRuben:)

While having a nap in deck chair is OK, I think putting up a hammock and settling in for the night might be of concern. Sounds like fun, but your personal safety could be an issue.

something to keep in mind, the weather in the caribbean changes quickly, the most beautiful days can start with a torrential rainstorm, same way some days can end. When you setup camp, make sure you're ready for rain even if all you see in the sky are stars, it can cloud up and start pouring in what seems like minutes.

Security will attempt to wake you. You will not be allowed to hang a hammock. There is a great probability you will wake up wet due to sea moisture in the air. It's all over the cushions and non-moveale deck chairs every morning.

Now, if the ship you are on has a Serentiy deck that has covered hanging hammocks....that might be a way to go, assuming no security patrol. 2 large towels should work for cover. But get up there early before the teener loveboaters take over for latenight/early AM moon light watching/spa skinnydipping:p:eek:.

No, security will wake you. However, I think this was a fake post....hammock? Really?

They do make small portable ones with stands that come in a small bag. I have thought they would be good on a large balcony and have seen photos on one of the boards on here where a member actually hung up a hammock on their balcony.

I do think that security might wake you just to make sure you aren't passed out or sick. They also move all the chairs around and wash down the decks in the middle of the night so I really don't think you will get more than a nap. Why not book a larger balcony cabin with a lounger on it?

Edited by Mysticks1
  • Like 1

something to keep in mind, the weather in the caribbean changes quickly, the most beautiful days can start with a torrential rainstorm, same way some days can end. When you setup camp, make sure you're ready for rain even if all you see in the sky are stars, it can cloud up and start pouring in what seems like minutes.

No problem, we can set up a tent.

I am an early riser, so it is not unusual that I am taking a morning walk at 5am around the deck. I can tell you that sometime in the wee hours they stack the deck loungers and hose down the deck. So I would think it is likely they would attempt to wake you rather than work around you.

I wouldn't do this out by the pool where they pick up and stack the chairs, but I think you could possibly do it in the Serenity area where others have mentioned the covered hammocks. They are super comfy and I have fallen asleep there reading before! Or, another thought would be to book a balcony cabin with a balcony large enough for a lounger and set up camp there. :)

There is a great probability you will wake up wet due to sea moisture in the air.

It's all over the cushions and non-moveale deck chairs every morning.

Ah yes... the end of the Tropical Night Sky Dream.

It amuses those of us who live in the islands!

Don't you know...

We drink Rum Punch whole day, eat breadfruit roasted on the beach for lunch

and then spend the nights dancing to the beat of Bongo Drums whatever they are.

Do we ever go to Work? Naaaaah! :D

Reality Check:

The 95% humidity and icky salt-spray

will make you long to get back in your air-conditioned cabin

with a decent humidity level!

Actually it sounds to me

like the OP should have booked Windjammer or Royal Clipper ;)

RoyClipper-570.jpg

This is you, boarding at Barbados...next cruise.

..where they do make arrangements for the hardy

to sleep out on deck -but that's a whole other story and cruise line..

Edited by Aplmac

I slept entire week on a smaller boat on Bahamas cruise, right on the deck. Small condensation, but it doesn't bother me at all.

As you said, hehe, some folks are just too used to their ac rooms ;)

Anything outside is better than inside. Proof - one of the most cozy nights I spent outside ( see the pic below ) :)

IMG_20130421_065704_1.jpg

I slept entire week on a smaller boat on Bahamas cruise, right on the deck. Small condensation, but it doesn't bother me at all.

As you said, hehe, some folks are just too used to their ac rooms ;)

Anything outside is better than inside. Proof - one of the most cozy nights I spent outside ( see the pic below ) :)

IMG_20130421_065704_1.jpg

WTH?????? Please don't tell me this is you, is it?? :eek: too funny. So...you are the adventurous type, huh?

You have got to do a trip report with plenty of pictures when you return. I have to see this. When is your cruise?

Are the Serenity areas open at night?

I remember my first cruise where I envisioned laying up on deck watching the stars. Much to my chagrin. All the loungers were stacked, tied up, and stowed at night.