cruise that includes a stop in Isreal

fredsue

Hi

We need some information about off ship tours from where the ship docks. We are long time Oceania cruisers but this is our first time in Isreal and we don't like the look of the prices for the tours offered by Oceania. Any help with transit to Jerusalem from Hifa and tours around the city would be welcome. Hints on problems specific to the area would be of help.

Edited by fredsue

Hi

We need some information about off ship tours from where the ship docks. We are long time Oceania cruisers but this is our first time in Isreal and we don't like the look of the prices for the tours offered by Oceania. Any help with transit to Jerusalem from Hifa and tours around the city would be welcome. Hints on problems specific to the area would be of help.

Try http://www.guidedtoursisrael.com.

I had read good reviews if thus firm and so booked up for them to pick us up from the port for two separate day tours to Jerusalem and Galilee. I sound in advance.

When we joined the ship we were told we were no longer going to dock at Haifa because of the then political situation. As soon as I gad access to email I found that the company had already written to say they had been told if the change of itinerary and had refunded my money.

So I was impressed without having done the tour but know from previous postings on here that those who managed to go in Kessler troubled times had been impressed by the Guides.

I

I'm a curmudgeon. I admit it.

My husband has a cousin who is a licensed tour guide in Israel (she is a sabra) and we spent two weeks driving around Israel with her.

As a result, while I would be willing to go back for a quick visit on a cruise, I would never consider a cruise the best way to see any place in Israel.

Beyond that, with political conditions being what they often are, it isn't unheard of for a cruise stop to be cancelled.

No, I cannot recommend a particular guide ... but I DO recommend a land trip. It's a fascinating country. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming, but I absolutely loved our time there.

Mura

If you are going to be in Israel for three days, I suggest staying in a hotel in Jerusalem for two nights and touring from there..

Jancruz1

I agree, Jan, and if there were, oh I don't know, an Oceania Sponsored Jerusalem Hotel, for those kinds of situations, the Cruise line could make a lot of passengers very happy...

GTI is ok -- we did a day tour with them

Nothing special.

Variety of tour leaders so you don't get to choose your guide.

Some are better than others

If you want a superb guide and pricey -- but worth it -- contact

Dina Horn

dinatouring@gmail.com

Beyond fabulous

I am using her for a second time December 2015 and I already reserved her.

I do not think she takes more than 4 -- maybe 6.

Fredsue - have you booked a cruise? I am on the May Riviera cruise that stops for 2 nights in Haifa. I have not made a final decision about tours yet - I have been in contact with GTI and also another company that offers a 2 day overnight in Jerusalem. Yes, it's really little time to see a country with so many interesting sights but it will probably be my one and only trip there.

If you are booked on a cruise - go on over to the roll call. On the May trip, we are still looking for cruisers to join us for small group tours. We are looking at 2 one day tours with GTI - one day in Jerusalem and one day in the north. We want to focus on Christian sights - there is another couple that wants to focus on Jewish sights. With GTI a group of 6 or more, the day tours are about $100 per person, so much less than Oceania. The 2 day overnight is (I think) $330 per person - not sure if that group needs a minimum.

We are doing the Historic Holy Lands on the refurbished Insignia in June. Because of the uncertainty of the world, we are flying to Israel for 5 days, then to Capadoccia and Istanbul to embark. Once we dock in Haifa we can either return to those places of interest and tour Herod Palace. This way if for any reason we do not dock in Haifa, the trip is not lost. This is my second trip there and just as excited as the first time to visit the Holy City.

Beyond that, with political conditions being what they often are, it isn't unheard of for a cruise stop to be cancelled.

No, I cannot recommend a particular guide ... but I DO recommend a land trip. It's a fascinating country. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming, but I absolutely loved our time there.

Mura

Over the past twenty years, my husband and I have scheduled and cancelled as many land trips to Israel as we have taken due to political conditions. Our most recent trip illustrates the benefits of independent land travel.

The political situation had been quiet for some time and we took our trip with confidence. While we were in Jordan, on a two-day trip to Petra and Wadi Rum, war broke out when the Palestinians began shelling southern settlements. Our plan had always been to return from Jordan through Eilat and fly to Tel Aviv for the last few days of the trip. Both locations put us well east and north of the range of the shells, definitely assuring. Mostly, we took our cues from the Israelis who have lived through the scenario before. They went about their business, checking in often with the radio and television, but definitely living a normal life. We finished our trip without fear, or even anxiety, and recognized we had gotten a glimpse into the country we could have gotten no other way.

The reason I share this story is that we were able to make our own decision about our safety and comfort level. We did not have to worry about the safety of hundreds of people. Not surprisingly -- and not without cause in this litigious society -- the cruise lines take the most conservative position and cancel ports. In my opinion, the poster who has scheduled independent travel in Israel prior to the cruise has a wonderful solution.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Over the past twenty years, my husband and I have scheduled and cancelled as many land trips to Israel as we have taken due to political conditions. Our most recent trip illustrates the benefits of independent land travel.

The political situation had been quiet for some time and we took our trip with confidence. While we were in Jordan, on a two-day trip to Petra and Wadi Rum, war broke out when the Palestinians began shelling southern settlements. Our plan had always been to return from Jordan through Eilat and fly to Tel Aviv for the last few days of the trip. Both locations put us well east and north of the range of the shells, definitely assuring. Mostly, we took our cues from the Israelis who have lived through the scenario before. They went about their business, checking in often with the radio and television, but definitely living a normal life. We finished our trip without fear, or even anxiety, and recognized we had gotten a glimpse into the country we could have gotten no other way.

The reason I share this story is that we were able to make our own decision about our safety and comfort level. We did not have to worry about the safety of hundreds of people. Not surprisingly -- and not without cause in this litigious society -- the cruise lines take the most conservative position and cancel ports. In my opinion, the poster who has scheduled independent travel in Israel prior to the cruise has a wonderful solution.

You were more fortunate than we were. We were to visit Israel for 3 days on the Nautica during this very time and our stops there were cancelled last minute (after the ship had already left Istanbul).

Bad luck and poor timing for us :(

Another vote for a land trip to Israel (which we did and enjoyed years ago)

GTI is ok -- we did a day tour with them

Nothing special.

Variety of tour leaders so you don't get to choose your guide.

Some are better than others

If you want a superb guide and pricey -- but worth it -- contact

Dina Horn

dinatouring@gmail.com

Beyond fabulous

I am using her for a second time December 2015 and I already reserved her.

I do not think she takes more than 4 -- maybe 6.

Dina is indeed a wonderful person and she will take more than 6 -we were a group of 10 and stayed overnight at a kibbutz hotel in Jerusalem, toured the next day, and then she met us in Haifa for a tour. You cannot get any better than Dina!! I have recommended her to many people and all have loved her. Arlene;)

You were more fortunate than we were. We were to visit Israel for 3 days on the Nautica during this very time and our stops there were cancelled last minute (after the ship had already left Istanbul).

Bad luck and poor timing for us :(

Another vote for a land trip to Israel (which we did and enjoyed years ago)

Paul. It was because of your earlier post that Haifa was canceled that we decided to see Jerusalem as a land tour before boarding just to be on the safe side in the event Haifa was a miss. If all goes well then it is a win-win plus we have the same tour guide while in port. I. do hope that you get a chance to rebook Israel in the very near future. Maria.

When O cancelled the your stops in Haifa, what did the ship do instaed ? The cruises I'm looking at have 3 days there.

Sometimes they substitute one or two of the Greek Islands, other times the Turkish Riviera and/or Rhodes.

For cruises which end west of Greece, you may even see Sicily, Malta or even La Goulette penciled in.

Tunisia has made an amazing comeback.

When O cancelled the your stops in Haifa, what did the ship do instaed ? The cruises I'm looking at have 3 days there.

We had 2 days in Haifa and 1 1/2 days in Ashdod.

They substituted for a day in Athens, Rhodes and Cyprus(?). Not at all what I (nor others) wanted, but it was in our best interest for safety.

That is why I feel that a land trip to Israel is better/safer as you have more control; not to mention that you'll have more time to see, explore and experience the country properly.

Having visited Israel on a land tour before I still felt bad about missing it but not half as bad as those people for whom this was a once in a lifetime visit to Israel.

Edited by Paulchili

We had 2 days in Haifa and 1 1/2 days in Ashdod.

They substituted for a day in Athens, Rhodes and Cyprus(?). Not at all what I (nor others) wanted, but it was in our best interest for safety.

That is why I feel that a land trip to Israel is better/safer as you have more control; not to mention that you'll have more time to see, explore and experience the country properly.

Having visited Israel on a land tour before I still felt bad about missing it but not half as bad as those people for whom this was a once in a lifetime visit to Israel.

Agree with you Paul that a land tour is preferable when wanting to see Israel. (Also, IMO it also takes more than a couple of port days to experience it.)

Agree with you Paul that a land tour is preferable when wanting to see Israel. (Also, IMO it also takes more than a couple of port days to experience it.)

True, but couldn't that be said for almost every country which an Oceania Cruise is likely to visit?

The Devils Advocate in me, wants me to challenge you to list the countries which wouldn't make that list.

By the same token, we'll soon be embarked on yet another season of inquiries by Baltic Cruise passengers who imagine that they will need to fly to Moscow in order to fill up that pesky third day in St. Petersburg.

For better or for worse, some people are quite happy with the Cliffs Notes version.... :cool:

Malta. Lol

One day is plenty

Greenland is another. My port days there in July will suffice

We are going back to Israel on another cruise for 3 additional days and that may not be the last time. Just go back!

We do plenty of land trips. Egypt coming up next, inspired by our cruise that stopped in Luxor.

I like to mix it up.

J&S,

That's a good point ... but I do happen to feel that Israel is in a class by itself in these terms. Yes, we've loved our two weeks trips through Portugal, but I'm happy with one day in Lisbon (two is better). And this is true of many other areas. (We did insist on a land trip to Normandy. Visiting the Beaches in one day from Le Havre just wasn't enough.)

But our two weeks driving through Israel with DH's tour guide cousin was spectacular and I just cannot see "doing" Israel on a cruise ship. We had three and a half days in Jerusalem which truly was not enough, although the time we spent in the other areas of Israel *was* sufficient. At least for THAT trip. (We also included visits to Petra, Wadi Rum and Mt. Sinai.)

For anyone in Jerusalem for the first time, try not to miss the Tunnels tour.

http://english.thekotel.org/content.asp?id=116

But then, there is so much not to miss ... Of all three religions.

Mura

True, but couldn't that be said for almost every country which an Oceania Cruise is likely to visit?

The Devils Advocate in me, wants me to challenge you to list the countries which wouldn't make that list.

While I am not Pam, the Devil's Advocate in me wishes to answer you :D:

Monaco, Albania, Reunion, Maldives, Mozambique, Angola, Ivory Coast, Benin, Mauritius, Sri Lanka (maybe 2 days :)), Cape Verde, Tonga, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Brunei, Qatar, Senegal, Gibraltar and just about all of the Caribbean countries - should I go on? :)

Edited by Paulchili

I personally have been able to assuage my need for much more time visiting many countries while taking a cruise vacation by spending more time at one end or the other of the cruise in the ports of embarkation and disembarkation, as well as utlizing fabulous high-speed European train services (which enabled my visits to Milan, Paris and Amsterdam after my last cruise which disembarked in Venice).

Yet I do not believe (although I have not researched the matter) that Israel has any ports of embarkation and disembarkation for cruises, and also has pitiful train services available, which in my mind makes it a more isolated destination for cruise passenger trip extensions.

Edited by CintiPam

Please let me add a word of caution. In July, 2012, 8 of us on Riviera used Guided Tours Israel for 3 days of touring. Months before departure, the 4 couples (who didn't know each other) spent a lot of time planning and compromising on our itinerary, especially for our first day (Jerusalem), as some of us are Jewish and some Christian. Our decisions were conveyed to GTI and confirmed.

Our guide turned out to be a freelancer brought in for our tour. He didn't know the GTI rep. we had been dealing with and didn't have any information on what we had agreed with GTI. We showed him a copy of our emails, which was the first time he had any idea of our plans. All he had been told was to meet us at arrival at Ashdod Port (for Jerusalem) and then the following two days at Haifa Port, and to spend three days with us.

In fairness, our guide was a nice guy and fairly fit, but he was aged 80! We saw the majority of our program, but several places he took us to were closed and others weren't pre-arranged (such as the kibbutz where we expected to meet and talk with residents). Instead, it was totallly deserted. Basically, our guide had no itinerary or schedule for our three-day tour and hadn't done any planning. Needless to say, our group wasn't happy!

So, a word of caution. If you book with GTI (or for that matter any private tour), you might take steps to ensure the above doesn't occur.

Rogey.

Pam,

You may well be right about that. When we did our Israel trip, we flew there. We didn't try to connect with a cruise.

The cruise itineraries I've seen that include Israeli stops don't start or stop from there.

So you would probably have to do as has been suggested -- do a pre-cruise visit in Israel, then get to the embarkation port. (Or go to Israel from your debarkation port.)

The best you can do ON a cruise (as far as I have been able to tell) is that you have 2-3 days in Israel and you adjust your time as you wish. But there is so much to see in Israel, that a cruise really isn't satisfactory.

As I've said before, neither is trying to see the Normandy Beaches from either a river boat or a cruise ship. One day isn't sufficient. And I'm sure others can chime in with similar problems with other ports.

Now, if you think you'll never get there on your own ... a cruise stop is your choice. That is better than nothing. You will at least see SOMETHING.

When people want to see Paris or Berlin (or fill in in the city) with one day in a port several hours away, I always say it isn't worth it. But that is MY perception. If you think you'll never get back to that city, then whatever you can manage is better than not seeing it at all.

Mura