Canadian Princess Cruisers

Gunner22aa

OBC you buy yourself or someone buys you as a gift is refundable. OBC that is given to you by a T.A. or Princess is not. OBC that is military or shareholder based used to be refundable, now I'm not sure if it is or not (we don't have either so I haven't really looked into it).

OBC you buy yourself or someone buys you as a gift is refundable. OBC that is given to you by a T.A. or Princess is not. OBC that is military or shareholder based used to be refundable, now I'm not sure if it is or not (we don't have either so I haven't really looked into it).

Thanks so much!!:D

The only thing I'm not certain about is HOW they refund the excess. Terry (who seems to be the resident expert on the subject :cool:) has said that for large amounts Princess sends you a cheque that can take a while to receive.

Hopefully Terry will post and explain further. :)

The only thing I'm not certain about is HOW they refund the excess. Terry (who seems to be the resident expert on the subject :cool:) has said that for large amounts Princess sends you a cheque that can take a while to receive.

Hopefully Terry will post and explain further. :)

We were refunded $160.00 US in cash from our OBC last week when we got off the Regal. That OBC was previously bought in Canadian dollars on our credit card. Hope this helps. :)

We were refunded over $400 USD by cheque in November. It didn't take very long - a couple of weeks maybe?

ps: I had over OBC'd us because our cruise got shortened by 1 1/2 days (waiting for the Crown from Tahiti that was delayed due to medical reasons).

Yes i have had cash refunds on the ship up to $200 or so and had a credit card refund for around $200. The credit card refund was to a different card (a US$ card) than the Canadian card it was purchased on at my request which surprisingly wasn't a problem. And finally, I am still waiting for a cheque (see, I really am Canadian!) to arrive for a refund from our last cruise. (Probably stuck at the border being converted from a check to a cheque).

I guess it depends how much cash they have on hand on the ship, whether they refund by cash or another method. If cash isn't an option I think I would request a cheque rather than a credit card refund if it is an option because if they refund a US amount to the Canadian card you bought it with the credit card company will probably convert it back to Canadian less a service charge of 2.5 or 3%. Still a profit but I hate giving the credit card companies part of it.

And yes, this is a great deal for us Canadians which we really appreciate. It cant last much longer. Just like last September when cruise and pre purchase prices changed from par to 10%, there has to be a change to 20% or 25% coming. Hopefully the new rate will still be better than the bank rate but on the other hand if they set a new rate and then before long it isn't a bargain that will be because our dollar has improved against the US$ making the Princess rate unattractive. Then we will be back to booking in US$ for awhile so make sure you have some US FCD's on hand.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

You have to admit that Princess is is doing a service for its Canadian clients. The current exchange rate at most Canadian banks is in excess of 26%. I picked up another 500 OBC at 10%.
Absolutely . Not hard to admit . My fear is that the lineup to cash -out unneeded OBC by

Canadians in US $'s will result in this "service" being discontinued . Oh well , enjoy it while we can.

Celebrity seemed to go to 3 or 4% initially and it looked like about 12 or 13% to me lately so good to have that confirmed. Since our last cruise on Celebrity was November/December 2013 everything was at par then so I didn't know whether OBC could be pre purchased at a discounted exchange rate or not on Celebrity.

Competition in this area might help us maintain a reasonable exchange rate longer. Canadian cruisers are a fairly big part of their business AND since the cruise lines have ports in Canada, some of their cost of operating in Canada goes down along with our dollar. Of course they don't have to look at a discounted exchange rate for Canadians as a way of returning some of those savings to Canadians to keep them cruising. It would be great of them to think that way though!

And finally, it isn't like ALL Canadians are buying their cruises and OBC at these beneficial rates. Most probably book in Canadian and then pay their on board bill in US at the end. There are probably considerable numbers of Canadians booking directly in US for various reasons as well. Those of us who research this stuff closely are able to pick up a deal which keeps us happy and cruising with Princess. But we are a small percentage of Canadian cruisers and a VERY small percentage of ALL cruisers.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Celebrity is 13% for booking cruises but it appears OBC can be bought for 9%

I queried Celebrity a few years ago about the difference in exchange rates applied to different dates/itineraries etc The question was forwarded by X up the ladder and I finally received an answer which makes perfect sense to me.

When the new itinerary's roll out each year the exchange rate for those cruises are set to the current rate. It will not change over the life of that sailing. For example, if the itinerary rolls out in Nov/14 for a sailing in Feb/17 the rate of 1.16 will not change. Sailings in 2016 are at 1.13 and in 2015 they seem to be at 1.11. Although the Tue Xciting Deals are at 1.13

I just booked some OBC for my 2016 sailing and it was at 1.088 Go figure.lol

Question - How come my OBC that I purchased via phone (got the 500 for 550 Canadian as charged to my credit card) don't turn up on my online cruise personalizer? It still reads $0.00 a week after my purchase. Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Question - How come my OBC that I purchased via phone (got the 500 for 550 Canadian as charged to my credit card) don't turn up on my online cruise personalizer? It still reads $0.00 a week after my purchase. Should I be worried?

No don't be worried. OBC you purchase doesn't show on your personalizer (I've read it's so that people can surprise others with OBC as a gift). Just print out your email confirmation of the purchase and bring it with you to be safe. I've pre-purchased OBC and the UKP package and neither shows on my personalizer.

Apparently we shouldn't fuss. I asked for Emailed confirmation which I've printed and will bring along. I'd suggest you do this, if you already haven't.

Ruth

Should be no worries - they don't show purchased OBC on personalizer as some people buy OBC for friends/family as gifts, so they don't want to spoil the surprise.

When we bought OBC last week for our cruise we also bought a small amount for our sons cabins, we were asked what we'd like written on the card they leave in the cabin notifying of the OBC "gift".

Just to be sure the OBC purchase doesn't go missing you can ask them to send you an email confirming the OBC purchase, so you have something to show them onboard if there's a mix up and the OBC doesn't show up on your account.

I have also heard that sometimes the OBC only shows up on the account on the second cruise day...

I just prepaid our gratuities which worked to be $379.50 ca. dollars for our 15 day cruse coming up,

(you can do that right on your cruise personalize)

I figured if I had to exchange the money would of cost me today $486. ca.

to get $379. u.s. A win win, saved us $31.00

That is a bucket of beers!:D

I also print out the e-mail confirmations to take with.

I am so glad I ran across this posting. We had booked with our usual U.S. TA before Christmas for a Sept. sailing. Since the CDN $ is getting so bad, after reading this post I went to the Princess site and saw that to book the same cruise, I would save about $400+ with the same perks being offered except an extra $85. I cancelled with the U.S. agency and rebooked getting the same cabin, with Princess. Now I am going to go and prepay my gratuities and buy some OBC. Great deal so thank you everyone for the heads up!

I am so glad I ran across this posting. We had booked with our usual U.S. TA before Christmas for a Sept. sailing. Since the CDN $ is getting so bad, after reading this post I went to the Princess site and saw that to book the same cruise, I would save about $400+ with the same perks being offered except an extra $85. I cancelled with the U.S. agency and rebooked getting the same cabin, with Princess. Now I am going to go and prepay my gratuities and buy some OBC. Great deal so thank you everyone for the heads up!

Just make sure you don't do it online - you must call to get the deal.

Just booked:

coffee cards (US$31). Price quoted by Princess rep: C$34.10. Price in email receipt C$34.10.

multiple US$500 Onboard Credits. Price quoted by Princess rep: C$550. Price in email receipt C$550.

So, 10% conversion, compared to 20%+ going rate. Not par, as some reported last year, but still a good deal. We saved almost $400.

Thank-you to everyone who has contributed to the thread.

No, par IS possible, I did it 3 weeks ago. Bought $600 OBC and prepaid gratuities 2x $115 all in US dollars and the charge on my visa was $830 Canadian dollars. If that's not parity, I don't know what it is.

I did this through my vacation planner as did everyone else in our group. Not all of them know how to do it and I think very few of them do, but the system does allow them to give parity. Anyhoo, a 10% top-up isn't that big a deal compared to the going exchange rate.

Just off the Emerald Princess Houston to Belize and Cozumel.

An absolutely wonderful Cruise !!

Exceptional staff, wonderful meals, clean as a whistle and hey, we were cruising !!

We have cruiised 15+ times on both and they are very comparable... real good and real good.

Your attitude may affect your perception...