Canadian Princess Cruisers

Gunner22aa

Oops, just reread, my bad! Yes it sure would be nice to get a deal like that in CAD. Just glad I booked the transatlantic cruise I took a few months ago back when the rates were $1.10. Looks like it is going to be a long wait until we see that rate again.

Edited by bigenna

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning all, just checked prices on Princess website. It seems Princess has dropped the exchange rate back to 35% over the US prices. I checked on my cruise for March 1 2017 and it is showing the same price I booked at before the increase. Hopefully the CDN dollar keeps going up and the rate drops further. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning all, just checked prices on Princess website. It seems Princess has dropped the exchange rate back to 35% over the US prices. I checked on my cruise for March 1 2017 and it is showing the same price I booked at before the increase. Hopefully the CDN dollar keeps going up and the rate drops further. Have a good day everyone.

Interesting. These changes seem to be a work in progress. I have 2 cruises for which I'm tracking prices closely, one in 2016 and the other in 2017. When I pull them up as saved cruises, the prices still show on the first page unchanged at $1.45 exchange. If I try to do a mock booking, the prices come up lower and appear to be at the $1.35 exchange rate. Encouraging news!

Just a thought. The 2017 cruise is an Alaska cruise that I already booked in US$. Had I booked in C$, I wonder if Princess would automatically adjust or if I would have to call. I suspect the latter, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone in this situation.

Still checking on the Princess website. Checked my cruise without logging into Princess and the price for the cruise was CDN $2361. And this is at 35 % of the US prices. But when I logged in the price came down to CDN $2226. This comes up to only 28.5 % over the US prices which is USD$1749. But of course if someone in the US logs into the site, then the price of 1749 USD will come down as well, I suppose. However the port taxes are still at 35% of the US price. That didn't change. As I said before, hope CDN$ will keep going back up.

Yeah, my Transatlantic is back down to what it was.

Price Created Updated

C$ 2,266 2016‑01‑14 2016‑01‑29

C$ 2,434 2016‑01‑30 2016‑02‑21

C$ 2,266 2016‑02‑22 2016‑02‑22

Any Canadians looking for a bit of an upgrade this summer, Azamara is running a Canadian at Par sale starting today. 11 cruises over the summer. Worth checking out if you're in the market.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Yeah, my Transatlantic is back down to what it was.

Price Created Updated

C$ 2,266 2016‑01‑14 2016‑01‑29

C$ 2,434 2016‑01‑30 2016‑02‑21

C$ 2,266 2016‑02‑22 2016‑02‑22

Any Canadians looking for a bit of an upgrade this summer, Azamara is running a Canadian at Par sale starting today. 11 cruises over the summer. Worth checking out if you're in the market.

Thanks for this information!

Please forgive me if this question has been answered before but how does one determine the exchange rate being charged? We have a TA tentatively booked for next year in CDN and would like to know. Thanks a bunch.

Since Princess USD prices normally ends in $99, it is easy to determine the exchange rate if the CAN price is known. Using the table below as reference, if the $CAN price ends in .60 then the exchange rate is 1.4, .65 means the exchange rate is 1.35, etc.

USD Exch $CAN

$999 1.00 $ 999.00

$999 1.05 $1,048.95

$999 1.10 $1,098.90

$999 1.15 $1,148.85

$999 1.20 $1,198.80

$999 1.25 $1,248.75

$999 1.30 $1,298.70

$999 1.35 $1,348.65

$999 1.40 $1,398.60

Edited by leecutcher

Okay, I hate to be one of those....but I'm so very confused. I tried to figure out the exchange rate based on the provided table but our cruise price is $1436.15 CAD per person (before fees and taxes).

I think you are all so very much smarter than me - if anyone can explain how this works for the current Princess exchange rate, I would be very grateful :o

Okay, I hate to be one of those....but I'm so very confused. I tried to figure out the exchange rate based on the provided table but our cruise price is $1436.15 CAD per person (before fees and taxes).

I think you are all so very much smarter than me - if anyone can explain how this works for the current Princess exchange rate, I would be very grateful :o

If you haven't booked your cruise yet, then I think it's best just to call princess and ask what the current exchange rate is for new bookings. If you have booked, then go to your cruise personalized and see what princess will charge you for a $100 U.S on board credit and that's your exchange rate.

I just booked a cruise last week and asked for u.s pricing as the exchange rate was better if I handled the conversion with U.S dollar credit card. Saved about $150 cdn

• 1 month later...
I received a price drop alert today on a Princess cruise I was watching. The price in US didn't go down so possibly they dropped the exchange again. Check your prices!

Thanks for the tip. Just checked prices for an August 2017 Alaska cruise we have booked. Exchange is definitely 1.30 today. :)

Thanks for the tip. Just checked prices for an August 2017 Alaska cruise we have booked. Exchange is definitely 1.30 today. :)

I just checked my cruise. The price did not go down any but it actually went up by $50.00. And at 1.30 it is a 5% drop only. I booked my cruise at 1.35. But thanks for the info. Have a great day.

Just cancelled my November booking and re-booked under the 1.30 rate. Received exactly the same OBC and saved a little bit. Not a huge difference, but total fare went down $99. I'll take it.

For others, you might lose your cabin choice to do this, but we were in a guarantee anyway, so no cabin difference for us.

But now, I wonder, if I gift OBC to myself for this cruise - we would receive US at 1.30. If I had not changed the booking - would I have received US OBC at 1.35? I guess the question is - does the OBC and other pre-cruise purchases come in at the current exchange rate (1.30) or the rate you booked the overall cruise at (previously for us 1.35 - but now 1.30 anyway)?

Don

I just checked my cruise. The price did not go down any but it actually went up by $50.00. And at 1.30 it is a 5% drop only. I booked my cruise at 1.35. But thanks for the info. Have a great day.

For our cruise, the US$ price stayed the same but that 5% drop in the exchange rate saves us $240C for our cabin. That's worth a phone call to me

But now, I wonder, if I gift OBC to myself for this cruise - we would receive US at 1.30. If I had not changed the booking - would I have received US OBC at 1.35? I guess the question is - does the OBC and other pre-cruise purchases come in at the current exchange rate (1.30) or the rate you booked the overall cruise at (previously for us 1.35 - but now 1.30 anyway)?

Don

OBC you buy for yourself, is at the same exchange rate that you booked.

I have a cruise booked at 10% exchange......but it's only a one-nighter :(

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
So what if u have bought $2000 obc in Canadian dollars and don't spend it. Will u get the amount back in US dollars? Ncl has an $1000 limit right now for Canadians that try to do this.

Anyone with experience with this? I was told by Princess that they will send you back a cheque if the balance is >$25, but I'm not sure in what currency.

Anyone with experience with this? I was told by Princess that they will send you back a cheque if the balance is >$25, but I'm not sure in what currency.

We got a cheque back in $US. It took forever. I waited the 8 weeks they said to wait, then started calling. Finally got to a very good customer service rep who followed up a few times with the 3rd party accounting company that does the payments. For some reason our payment got flagged to pay out, then flagged to stop payment. Noone could figure out - or said -- why. My guess was someone goofed. But they can see the onboard folio - They knew how much we were owed.

I only booked a couple of cruises. Next one in Jan. I did the math and found it is a lot cheaper in the end if you can get a larger onboard credit that seems more freely from US based agencies. I have $850us on board credit on this upcoming cruise. I use a site called Cruise Compete and found great deals that work out a whole lot cheaper. These agencies I have used had high grades from US business bureau. I checked first. You can barter a bit too. I would recommend though, to insure from Canadian Company.