Canadian Princess Cruisers

Gunner22aa

Apart from the discussions I have had with Princess over the years regarding the treatment of Solo passenger pricing this last episode of $1.45 has made me personally make a decision to leave Princess although I am an Elite member with them.

I have been told I have to wait till tomorrow to get my Future Cruise Credits and closing of my Captains Circle Account with them.

It was not easy but I know in my heart that I would get nowhere with the Solo situation.Plus honestly I cannot afford this pricing anymore. The exchange rate may probably be used by the cruise industry as a whole.I will have to wait and maybe when dollar firms up find a Cruise Company that gives solos a break price wise. Yes I will miss the wonderful attitude the employees on board have and the family atmosphere I have always experienced on the Princess Cruises but honestly pricing no not now.

Unless the dollar improves . We might take fewer cruises to save money. Luckily my personal investments have done well with the dropping dollars.

We'll complete the three booked cruises and then see what to do in the future . Even with the dropping dollar I'm still paying about 10% more than cruises from last year.

Edited by Kamloops50

That's a shame ..

But I guess I understand why rates are higher now ...the low dollar isn't their fault, not any of the cruise lines fault, so why would they take the hit? Just have to travel Canada ?!?!

It's their fault that they're charging a 5% premium on the actual rate. Most lines are giving Canadians a bit of a break right now not profiting from it. I'm disgusted.

Just got back from a cruise and started checking my favorites. Looks like they have all gone up a lot.

I have one more booked but at lower rates but 1.45 is just too much. Time to cash in my Future Cruise Credits and vacation at home.

I just transferred online from CAD to USD and $100 USD cost me $1.43.6

That's where I ballparked it to 1.5%:confused:

Agree - most of us (me included) aren't savvy enough to use anything other than our bank or credit card. The credit cards add 2.5% fee (except Chase Canada), so between the "bank" rate plus fee, we are pretty close to 1.45.

Historically Princess changed their rate once a year. Many times we choose to book in either US or CAD depending on where we saw rates going, and many times we "won" in that the currency moved in our favor as compared to how we booked.

Even with the more frequent rate changes now, you can still choose to book in USD instead of the Princess 1.45 CAD, and get your USD to pay for the cruise at a rate better than 1.45 - thus being ahead. But even if you get your USD at 1.39 that is still a very expensive exchange rate! :eek:

Mexico is a good option right now as the Canadian Dollar hasn't taken a beating against the Peso.

But most tour operators negotiate their hotel rates in USD, so Mexican All - Inclusive resorts can be just as costly...

We're done cruising until the exchange rate is better. It certainly isn't the fault of the cruise lines - it is what it is - but you'd think they would want to keep loyal customers by not raising the rate so fast and so often. We were looking at doing 3 cruises before the end of the year but for now they are on hold. I wonder if they will drop it just as fast when our dollar improves?

But most tour operators negotiate their hotel rates in USD, so Mexican All - Inclusive resorts can be just as costly...

Some good rates from Vancouver on the Travel best bets site from global news

And very good deals to Hawaii but of course to eat out would be in US

Edited by Cruise Junky

We're done cruising until the exchange rate is better. It certainly isn't the fault of the cruise lines - it is what it is - but you'd think they would want to keep loyal customers by not raising the rate so fast and so often. We were looking at doing 3 cruises before the end of the year but for now they are on hold. I wonder if they will drop it just as fast when our dollar improves?

Princess I hope your are listening we all know the dollar is low however fuel prices are low and don't see a deal for any passengers on the low barrel price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princess I hope your are listening we all know the dollar is low however fuel prices are low and don't see a deal for any passengers on the low barrel price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be 'nice' but they're selling their ships so not sure anything will change anytime soon. :confused:

My husband and I were eyeballing a Hawaii cruise out of Vancouver for several months, waiting patiently to see if the price would drop to a comparable rate we paid a couple years ago. Then the price dropped (not enough), then two days later their exchange rate changed.

Ouch.

Right now we're looking at a 60% price increase over what we paid two years ago--it's ludicrous. You'd think Princess would try to entice Canadian travelers to cruise with them. None of us are getting paid more at our jobs. Our housing market is skyrocketing and vacations are unreasonably expensive.

Amazing that my husband make as much as we do and yet we still feel poor.

This won't help you if you're transferring to a US account but this is who I use in Vancouver and they deliver anywhere in Canada if you need cash.

If I'm needing USD cash I use an exchange service as well.

But when I need instant deposit from here to there, only the bank suffices :(

My husband and I were eyeballing a Hawaii cruise out of Vancouver for several months, waiting patiently to see if the price would drop to a comparable rate we paid a couple years ago. Then the price dropped (not enough), then two days later their exchange rate changed.

Ouch.

Right now we're looking at a 60% price increase over what we paid two years ago--it's ludicrous. You'd think Princess would try to entice Canadian travelers to cruise with them. None of us are getting paid more at our jobs. Our housing market is skyrocketing and vacations are unreasonably expensive.

Amazing that my husband make as much as we do and yet we still feel poor.

I wish it were so ..but really, why should they?

There's seldom much loyalty when it comes to business and profits.