Canadian Princess Cruisers

Gunner22aa

I just booked the free gratuities offer... Is it best to purchase on board credits now in canadian or wait till on ship?

On the drop down menu it says $74 cdn but doesnt show how much on board credit that buys you...should I assume thats for a $50 OBC?

Doesn't seem very good.

I just booked the free gratuities offer... Is it best to purchase on board credits now in canadian or wait till on ship?

On the drop down menu it says $74 cdn but doesnt show how much on board credit that buys you...should I assume thats for a $50 OBC?

Doesn't seem very good.

Yes that is for $50. When did you book your cruise? That would appear to be the current 1.45 exchange rate. At that rate, the only real benefit of pre-buying OBC is that you would not pay the extra 1-3% charged by most credit cards to convert US to CDN.

Remember. The rate can change 4 percent in about a minute.

Even if it did he's still locked in at 1.45 so he losses nothing by waiting. My currency place opens at 9 I'm curious to see what I can buy it at this morning

Update...1.383 :)

Edited by Cruise Junky

Yes, we know. But why buy OBC for 1.45 when you can buy cash at 1.38?

I paid 1.36 yesterday at Bullion's and Gold in Vancouver converting to Canadian from USA dollars....9 cents cheaper than the rate Princess is charging.

Any who books their cruise at the 1.45 rate is,,,,,,,,,:p

Edited by kruisey

My wife bought U.S. cash today at 1.384 in Ottawa.

Sure. Try going in and telling them that you want to lock in the right to exchange money several months from now at todays rate and see how hard they laugh. That is basically what Princess and the other cruise lines are doing, locking in a rate for a future exchange, after all they cannot exchange the money until they actually receive it. It is a transaction in which they have the risk and the customer does not because up until the payment due date they can always cancel and rebook if the rate lowers.

Again if you don't like the rate they offer do your own exchange and pay cash. If you exchange the money now you can lock in the 1.384 rate and hold the cash until the trip.

Edited by RDC1

I agree completely RDC1, the cruise companies are taking an exchange risk. I did not complain when we went on our cruise last year and paid 1.1 when the actual exchange rate was 1.2. I actually bought more OBC and received a cheque back (thus making money on the exchange). If you want to pay 1.39, exchange your Canadian money now and pay in $US. No rip off - no risk. I get around it because I have access to income in both $US and $C. Whichever is the better rate at the time is what I pay in. The cruise companies are expecting further erosion of the $C (as are almost all (analysts). You are paying for the risk they face when you pay for your cruise in the future. There is no ripoff occurring.

Edited by RMMariner

Did the exchange rate change again? A cruise I was looking at had a big price drop, and comparing to US sites it looks like the rate is 1.3.

(Granted, I didn't check for other departures, just this one.)

What's the date? I can check on both currencies from work. I doubt it though. 1.40 would be reasonable.

What's the date? I can check on both currencies from work. I doubt it though. 1.40 would be reasonable.

Vancouver to Hawaii April 4th. Cruise critic shows a price drop down to $999USD and Princess quotes $1297.55CDN.

Vancouver to Hawaii April 4th. Cruise critic shows a price drop down to $999USD and Princess quotes $1297.55CDN.

That 0.55 at the ends means the exchange rate is 1.45. Obviously it is not based on the same US fare you are seeing. If the rate was 1.30, the fare would end in 0.70.

Is there any way that I can check on "my princess" or on my booking print out what rate I am locked in at?

Go into my princess and go to the cruise personalizer of your booked cruise then click on onboard reservations and look at the amount that you can buy OBC at. Mine shows $135. That means I can buy $100 US for $135 CDN