Why didn't I think to pack that!

luvlake

When I started packing for cruises back in the early years this site was non existent to me. But when I started using the site there was a thread that helped me as the packer of the family. Please list the little extras that you packed that have helped you on your cruise. This is not to say that everyone will think it is important, I just know that last night while packing a friend that is going on our cruise said don't forget _______.

My tips are clothes pins (for hanging clothes in shower), night light for bathroom in a inside room, thermal cup for coffee for around the ship. I have many more but please join in to help some of our fellow cruisers!!!:)

Extra Batteries (Battery Charger - if your camera uses that type) and additional memory cards for the camera - you will see so much and will hate yourself if you don't get the photo.

Previous Cruises

Alaska - September 2009 - Westerdam

Alaska - September 2010 - Rotterdam

Mexican Rivera - April 2011 Oosterdam

Alaska - September 2012 (14 days) - Amsterdam

I like to take a packet of post it notes for leaving message on door or mirror for husband such as "I will be at_________". This has saved many minutes and the "I have been looking for you everywhere" was not a issue.

I also take a pouch lanyard for myself. Being a woman this was important to me on the ship. My card was easily found and a map of the ship is always handy!:)

i never forget my "over the door shoe organizer", the kind with the clear pouches to hold shoes.. i hang it inside the bathroom on the bathroom door.. the pouches hold everything.. toiletries, curling irons, makeup.. dollar bills for room service tips.. you name it..no bathroom counter clutter, and you can readily see everything at a glance. :)

For Alaska, I like to pack a couple pairs of hand warmers (like these: http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-Pair-Value/dp/B00D7H9LIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389545508&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+warmers). They are great for standing outside while sailing up to Hubbard Glacier.

You're so right about these hand warmers. I use them at home too.

Great idea

Ziploc bags in different sizes. Large ones for wet swim suits coming back home. I take a baggie of Splenda sweeter with me as they do not have it on the ship.

I save those small toothpaste samples as well as the small dental floss from my cleanings and take those instead of the larger ones I have at home. This way when they are empty, you can throw them out. I also save those little handi wipes that given out at fast food restaurants so that I have a couple in my backpack on shore excursions or shore time

Most cruise lines do not have clocks in the rooms. I invested in a travel alarm clock because when I am on the ship my cell phone goes in the safe! The phone does have the time on it but in the middle of the night I like the clock on my side of the bed!

Multi plug outlet, for sure. Sample packs of laundry soap and dryer sheets so you don't pay for them if you need to wash a load of clothes.

Not having a clock in the cabin drives me nuts. What do you do about that?

Do we need yet another list of stuff to bring? There are probably several hundred of these lists on CC.

DON

If I am a new cruiser and did not want to search thru all of the post, I would appreciate this list! If this thread does not help you in anyway I apologize and would understand if you ignore it.

Guest maddycat
When I started packing for cruises back in the early years this site was non existent to me. But when I started using the site there was a thread that helped me as the packer of the family. Please list the little extras that you packed that have helped you on your cruise. This is not to say that everyone will think it is important, I just know that last night while packing a friend that is going on our cruise said don't forget _______.

My tips are clothes pins (for hanging clothes in shower), night light for bathroom in a inside room, thermal cup for coffee for around the ship. I have many more but please join in to help some of our fellow cruisers!!!:)

I see that you will be sailing on RCI. They no longer have a pen and writing paper in the cabins. I now make sure that I bring my own. I also bring a travel alarm clock, a night light for the cabin (all cabins are dark in the middle of the night), and a first aid kit with OTC meds, bandaids, etc..

Do you pack the hand warmers in your checked luggage? I wouldn't want them to activate ahead of time.

I pack a stainless steel bottle for water for DH since we order a bottled water package and thos bottles are huge.. Too big to comfortably carry around .

Always pack extra undies. It came in handy when we were stranded for 3 days after disembarking during Hurricane Sandy! DH never gives me grief about it now:D

AAA has a great light for about $10. You can use it as a night light, flashlight, or if power goes out it immediately comes on as emergency lighting. Three lights in one. Great for travel.

I also try to pack things that I don't have to bring home. For example, make-up - if it is time for a new mascara, foundation, etc. I buy new and take the old then toss when ready to pack for home. Same thing with toothpaste, hairspray, etc. It is amazing how much this stuff can weight.

I keep the heavy plastic zipper bags that sheets and pillow cases come in. I use them to store my toiletries, especially spray bottles. If your luggage is open for inspection, TSA can easily see what is in there and doesn't have to go through everything.

I always bring a can of Lysol.

Happy Packing

I bring a lot too much stuff. But there has never been a trip I didn't use the clothespegs, my i-phone, or the power bar (with necessary charging cord devices).

Oh, and I also always use our binoculars, both at sea and in port. But don't bother if you don't have good ones.