Royal Vs. Regal - changes?

Shoobie1124

Hello Cruisers! I understand that when sister ships are unveiled there are often changes in the 2nd and 3rd ships after feedback from the first. With so much negative feedback on the Royal - do you think that princess is making any changes to the Regal?

I know that some things like balcony size and main staircase won't be changed... but what about other things?

Adding an aft pool and hopefully doing something about the aft balcony soot problem are the two I have seen

I believe this is actually what the aft pool will look like on Regal Princess, as it is what is going to be on Britannia (3rd of the Royal-class ships, built for P&O).

11458028264_022ed136b6_o.jpg

Bear in mind while they can make cosmetic or moderate changes, anything that requires significant changes to the structural design of the ship would not be viable at this point.

So adding an aft splash pool as shown might be viable, but not a full pool as that would probably require a redesign of the deck surface which would change the support load all the way down to the hull.

Funny... I just read a short article in our local paper mentioning that the Regal would have a wrap around Promenade Deck. So I took a look at the deck plans on princess.com - looks like the Promenade wraps around the back of the ship but not the front. If you want to cross over at the front, it looks like you have to go through the upper level of the theater or a little further in.

The article also mentioned an aft pool, but I've been up and down the deck plans (all top decks), and I cannot see signs of one.

The Royal/Regal would have to be offering an absolutely perfect itinerary for me to want to sail on either. Lucky for me, I sailed the Crown for my Greek Isles cruise and that is still my favorite ship (and Ruby and Emerald of course).

Funny... I just read a short article in our local paper mentioning that the Regal would have a wrap around Promenade Deck. So I took a look at the deck plans on princess.com - looks like the Promenade wraps around the back of the ship but not the front. If you want to cross over at the front, it looks like you have to go through the upper level of the theater or a little further in.

The article also mentioned an aft pool, but I've been up and down the deck plans (all top decks), and I cannot see signs of one.

The Royal/Regal would have to be offering an absolutely perfect itinerary for me to want to sail on either. Lucky for me, I sailed the Crown for my Greek Isles cruise and that is still my favorite ship (and Ruby and Emerald of course).

Interesting. The Crown, Ruby and Emerald don't have wraparound Promenades either as you have to go up and down stairs to a different deck. Just saying.

Interesting. The Crown, Ruby and Emerald don't have wraparound Promenades either as you have to go up and down stairs to a different deck. Just saying.

So if it wraps around one deck higher, what's it called? How about a "Double-Decker Wrap-Around"...;)

There will not be a wrap-around promenade deck for passengers.

The areas on the port and starboard sides which are currently blocked off on the Royal will be set up to allow passengers to walk in those areas, but it will be a narrow walkway, not the full Promenade width experience.

To the best I can tell, there will also be no access to the rear walkway which exists for the crew to use on the Promenade deck, but I could be wrong.

I believe this is actually what the aft pool will look like on Regal Princess, as it is what is going to be on Britannia (3rd of the Royal-class ships, built for P&O).

11458028264_022ed136b6_o.jpg

As Dave posted, this is apparently a rendering of the "aft pool" on the Britannia. When a number of people on CC heard that Britannia would have a fourth, aft, pool they wished an aft pool could be added to the Royal/Regal and it is not really feasible to add a Terrace Pool type aft pool after the fact.

Just like the Coral/Island's so called aft pool. :rolleyes:
More like the Oasis Pool aft on the Sports deck (16) on the Star Princess and Pirate's View Pool aft on the Sports deck (17) on the Caribbean Princess. The aft pool on the Coral/Island is deeper and probably larger

The aft pool on the Coral/Island is actually decent sized and about 4 feet deep. It's now part of the sanctuary on those 2 ships (and makes those the two best Sanctuary's in the fleet to my mind).

More like the Oasis Pool aft on the Sports deck (16) on the Star Princess and Pirate's View Pool aft on the Sports deck (17) on the Caribbean Princess. The aft pool on the Coral/Island is deeper and probably larger