Thinking of canceling...saw You tube clips of the "parties" on Norwegian Sky

firstcruisebuzz

We have a deposit for Easter weekend for the 3 day Bahamas Cruise on the Sky. We have kids that are 15,13 and 11 and we are a pretty conservative family. I was watching some you tube clips of the White party and the Demarkation celebrations and didn't see many kids our kids ages and we are just thinking of canceling, due to the "party boat feel" Should we wait for our first time cruise experience for a different ship experience?

Can't tell by personal experience but keep in mind that the elderly couple playing cards in the buffet all day won't record/edit and upload a wild, noisy, music added, highlight clip to Youtube. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694970 is a similar thread, perhaps you'll find some answers there.

The week you're taking should have a lot of kids. I've commented on your posts before. My teen went and took friend and they had a blast. Your kids don't have to attend the parties if you don't want them to. The white hot party on the Sky has been great every time I've been on it.

No one on this message board can tell you if you should stay or go on the trip. Why not just go, expect the best and have a great time? I can't afford to go right now and I'd be on the ship in a heartbeat if I could.

Is be cautious about making any decisions based on YouTube clips, which by their nature focus on specific areas.

Of course, looking at clips of parties will give the impression that it is a party ship. Similarly, clips taken at a quiet bar on the same ship would make it look totally the opposite.

The ships are big enough that different things can be going on without the participants on one thing having any idea of the other. I don't generally go to the onboard parties, and rarely even know they are happening.

Having said that, I imagine that the parties are a bit livelier at this time of year, which I suppose could be a problem if your family would like to join in without things going over the top.

We have a deposit for Easter weekend for the 3 day Bahamas Cruise on the Sky. We have kids that are 15,13 and 11 and we are a pretty conservative family. I was watching some you tube clips of the White party and the Demarkation celebrations and didn't see many kids our kids ages and we are just thinking of canceling, due to the "party boat feel" Should we wait for our first time cruise experience for a different ship experience?

I would give it a try. I have no experience with the teen and kids clubs, but have heard good things. Maybe the reason you don't see many kids in the videos is that they are having more age appropriate fun elsewhere. I think the White Hot parties usually start off as "all welcome" and then become adult only after a certain hour. The parties I have attended we're pretty tame, but we probably were not there at 2:00 am. But then again, your kids would probably not be either.

NCL is a ship (all of them) where you make your own vacation, eat when and where you want, go to whatever party you want to. There is so much to do on any ship and you make your vacation, not a U Tube. There is a club for kids and teens that they can join. It is no different than going to the movies, you choose what your kids see..right?

I love the smaller ships and Sky is one of them.

Make your memories...

janymac:p

Can't tell by personal experience but keep in mind that the elderly couple playing cards in the buffet all day won't record/edit and upload a wild, noisy, music added, highlight clip to Youtube. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694970 is a similar thread, perhaps you'll find some answers there.

My mom (67) dd (20) and I (46) went on the Sky for a girls weekend without the guys two years ago. It was our first time on NCL and had a great time. Since then booked/sailed Breakaway, have an S4 on BA again for next August and decided to take my dd away for her college spring break back on the Sky in an OS the beginning of March. If it were up to my mom and myself, we would be in bed rather early, although we do enjoy going out to nice restaurants and then a bar/club after dinner for a while (or show)

on the ship. Only you can decide but a vacation is what you make of it and if it wasn't for our first 4 night sailing on the Sky and having a great time, we would not have booked the BA twice and the Sky again (we usually sail RCCL).

Any short sailing will attract a more party atmosphere and sailing during Easter/Spring break will magnify that but as another poster said, you will have MANY kids on your sailing with it being Easter.

I can tell you your other alternative is the RCCL Majesty, which is an older ship and IMO does not get as good as reviews as the Sky when you compare the two. Let us know what you decide and let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by js

You are going to find a "party" atmosphere on most cruise lines if you mean people having some drinks and dancing, especially on the shorter itineraries. Easy enough to avoid if it's not your cup of tea (and you would probably want to steer clear of Quest;)).

Hi OP,

I had the exact same reservations about taking my 18-year-old niece on her first cruise a year ago last December after watching many of the same videos on YouTube. But, the atmosphere aboard was completely different and very similar to what I'd expect on any other Norwegian sailing.

I did a brief review. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1757583

Good luck with your decision. I'd encourage you to give the Sky a try. :)

Hi OP,

I had the exact same reservations about taking my 18-year-old niece on her first cruise a year ago last December after watching many of the same videos on YouTube. But, the atmosphere aboard was completely different and very similar to what I'd expect on any other Norwegian sailing.

I did a brief review. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1757583

Good luck with your decision. I'd encourage you to give the Sky a try. :)

I read your post last night and I know you had the same concerns. My kids are younger than 18 but I had the same concerns as you! I will read your review! Thanks

Oftentimes the Dailies will say when something is for adults only, of which Quest may be one I believe. The kids and teen clubs will be totally safe. It is your choice to take your family to things like the White Hot Party, which I only attended once. The White Hot party was pretty lame when we attended, by the way.

I would say go. The first cruise we took our kids when they were 11 and 9, was a memory of a lifetime for them. We took them (now adults) on a cruise a year ago and to my pleasant surprise, they both with their spouses are going to be cruising this year.

Have a great time!

To be honest.. my wife and I were on the NCL Sky in Aug 2013.. and was disappointed by the "Whitehot Party" not anything like the youtube video.. hahaha...

infact there were a few 14-15 years old dancing up in center stage...

I personally would never book a 3- or 4-night cruise as a first cruise. If you do go, just don't judge a "normal" cruise by a short one. They are 2 very difference experiences!

Edited by SissasMomE

Well, the 3/4 day cruise tend to attached a younger party oriented crowd because it cheaper and they can afford it. That being said there will all types of people on board the ship from party animals to senior citizens to families. You are not in any way forced to attend anything you might find offensive. Sure, anything that has alcohol involved people tend to get a little crazy since they are on vacations. But there will be plenty of other on board activities to suit your style. Movies, trivia, lectures, shuffle board, ping pong, and organized activities just for the kids. Just read your daily ship's newsletter that you received in your cabin. What you saw on you tube might not be anything you'd experience on your cruise. But if you have any concerns please see the cruise director once on board. They will direct you to activities that best suit your family. I can assure you it's not just one big frat party. Happy cruising.

Well, the 3/4 day cruise tend to attached a younger party oriented crowd because it cheaper and they can afford it. That being said there will all types of people on board the ship from party animals to senior citizens to families. You are not in any way forced to attend anything you might find offensive. Sure, anything that has alcohol involved people tend to get a little crazy since they are on vacations. But there will be plenty of other on board activities to suit your style. Movies, trivia, lectures, shuffle board, ping pong, and organized activities just for the kids. Just read your daily ship's newsletter that you received in your cabin. What you saw on you tube might not be anything you'd experience on your cruise. But if you have any concerns please see the cruise director once on board. They will direct you to activities that best suit your family. I can assure you it's not just one big frat party. Happy cruising.

Agree completely!! I've gone on cruises with and without the kids and we tend to change our personal itinerary based on that fact. Most of the late night parties are adults-only. To be honest I read and responded to another of your posts and you seem to be looking for any excuse to cancel because your husband isn't excited about going so maybe you should, so you're not disappointed! Also, I agree with one of the other posters that 7-day cruises are better for first timers, especially with kids. But I do agree the Sky is the nicest of the weekend boats. Also Disney might be better for more conservative families since there is no gambling and less adult partying. Good luck with your decision.

I personally would never book a 3- or 4-night cruise as a first cruise. If you do go, just don't judge a "normal" cruise by a short one. They are 2 very difference experiences!

I booked the Sky as my first cruise because it was only 4 day. What if I simply hated being on the boat? The extra days and expense of a week long cruise would have been horrible. Our sky experience was wonderful and got us hooked on cruising. I think if you go with a positive outlook you will find a way to enjoy yourself.

I have been on the Sky twice. The Sky has the least kids of any ship. There are no waters slides and it is not as kid friendly as the newer ships. I am not attacking the OP but what is wrong with kids dancing at a deck party? Cruising is about having fun and I don't think being conservative and having fun are mutually exclusive.

O No, not a party on a cruise ship, you don't have to go to the party. There is other stuff to do while that is going on. Don't panic but there might also be topless woman suntanning on the upper decks in the adult areas. OMG I know topless woman

O No, not a party on a cruise ship, you don't have to go to the party. There is other stuff to do while that is going on. Don't panic but there might also be topless woman suntanning on the upper decks in the adult areas. OMG I know topless woman
Can we throw M&Ms at them? Are there videos on Youtube?

you will possibly struggle to see the kids as many of them hang out in the teen club which is not a place an adult with a video camera hangs out (or if they did they would be carted off by security)

Our white hot party on the sun was sedate as have all the ones on our previous 10 cruises

would love to see the video you refer to

The party is one evening out of the trip held in 1 location while there are many more entertainment options taking place around the ship - you donlt need to go to it