LIVE from the RUBY PRINCESS Jan. 13-23, 2014

Pia1913

Pia,

Thank you so much for your live feed and all your shared information. I do have a question. We're going on the Ruby 4/17-22. I was on the Crown 3 yrs ago and I missed the seafood bar on the buffet while we were at the MDR. We went up to watch MUTS and walked thru and saw them putting it all away:( I LOVE crab legs and shrimp. I wondered if you have seen it during this shorter cruises? Thanks so much.

Joanne

Pia,

Thank you so much for your live feed and all your shared information. I do have a question. We're going on the Ruby 4/17-22. I was on the Crown 3 yrs ago and I missed the seafood bar on the buffet while we were at the MDR. We went up to watch MUTS and walked thru and saw them putting it all away:( I LOVE crab legs and shrimp. I wondered if you have seen it during this shorter cruises? Thanks so much.

Joanne

We were aboard last week and didn't see it listed in the Patter. Unfortunately, it was offered several times in the buffet during our Christmas/New Year cruise aboard the Star Princess....BUT at a $20/person up-charge :confused:! I suppose this continues the airplane-ization of cruising. Wonder if they'll start weighing bags at boarding and charging for bags in excess of 50 lbs or those in excess of one per person?

Edited by Shoalwater

Back again. Would have checked in sooner, but internet was down. Just as promised, our minutes did not carry over. Even our names didn’t carry over.

Not sure how much I’ll be telling you this cruise, since everything is the same so far. Lee Childers has such a wonderful repetoire. Why he doesn’t change anything is beyond me. He knows people are doing B2B’s; must be a few hundred on this cruise by the number waiting in DaVinci this morning. All MUTS movies will be the same. All shows will be the same, other than a new comedian; Miguel Washington. Has to better than Phil Tag.

Who asked about Zumba? There was only one class this past week.

Getting off this morning was painless and much better than what we heard happened on the preceding cruise. We were herded off starting approx. 10:20 and were back on again by 10:45. Very quick and very orderly. Except for some people who felt they needed to run back on. I suppose they hadn't eaten much earlier. :rolleyes:

Going to veg now. See ya.

Many CD staff members just completed contracts this week, so Lee (Mr. Excitement) probably hasn't figured out who can do what. We had Zumba every sea day on our cruise in Dec. and again last week. But Eve was the one who has been doing the Zumba for the past 6 mths. and she left on Monday. Jaime and Sam, both of whom were so much fun, also left yesterday.

Internet connected so I'm just checking in before dinner. Don't know how long we will have this signal. Did something out the ordinary today; went to the art auction. How's that for alleviating boredom? Only thing to report is that I'm having a love affair with a certain slot machine. Hope it continues.

Our M&G had a good turnout; captain, staff captain, hotel manager, bar manager and two more officers attended. CD didn't show his face, but that's the norm for "exciting" Lee.

Carolyn: wanted to meet you. Were you there?

OK. ready to eat again. It's Bavarian night in Cafe Caribe and that means my favorites without getting dressed formally. What a life! :D

Pia, I came up for a bit but was late so I didn't get a name tag. Was looking for your name tag but didn't find you. I left midway through the gift exchange that was going on and went back up to the sancutary.

Let me know where you will be around today and maybe we could meet for a cocktail I'm in C607

Monday in Cozumel where the weather will be sunny with temps getting into the mid 70’s, with humidity probably close to that too. We need some warmth; yesterday was way too cold for us. And indoors was worse. Don’t know why they keep the public rooms like an igloo. Explorer’s and Horizon Ct. were both unbelievably cold. I just stepped outside and it feels like shorts weather again. Yippee! Also, with all the talk about the ship docking in another area; NOT. We’re at the usual Puerta Maya dock.

Our clocks were pushed back last night so we gained an hour of sleep. But alas, tonight we give it back. Easy come; easy go.

We’ll be in port until 4:00 with nothing at all scheduled for the morning. Not even spa trying to make sales. Doesn’t our illustrious CD realize that lots of people don’t get off the ship? Guess not.

In the afternoon the movie Jobs is in the theater, Fever Pitch is on MUTS and the spa has assorted “seminars” in which to fix your hair, your dress size, your face and your back. We also have the Captain Circle cocktail party (we’re attending the one at 5:00) and we got the number two spot again. Déjà vu, and here comes my large frozen margarita. Or will it be Sauv. Blanc?

Tonight’s entertainment is a magician in the theater, and that’s it folks. Not even a MUTS movie since they have to prepare for the Ultimate Deck Party which I understand was a complete bust last week. But since I wasn’t there, it’s just heresy.

Yes, there was schnitzel, no, there is no seafood buffet. Hasn't been one for years. This is Asian lunch which features lots of sushi. I don't do sushi. Bill, I never looked at any of it. I was there reading a book in a corner. Mike watched the whole thing and never took a bidding card nor the champagne.

Need to get this posted while I can. Lots of grief with connections.

Tonight’s entertainment is a magician in the theater, and that’s it folks. Not even a MUTS movie since they have to prepare for the Ultimate Deck Party which I understand was a complete bust last week. But since I wasn’t there, it’s just heresy. Wandered on deck last week during the "Ultimate Deck Party" and you could have shot off a cannon and only hit staff. Wasn't that popular IMHO.

no, there is no seafood buffet. Hasn't been one for years. They had it several times at lunch on the Star to Hawaii, only there was a $20/person up-charge! Cruising is turning into an airline experience.

Bill, I never looked at any of it. I was there reading a book in a corner. Mike watched the whole thing and never took a bidding card nor the champagne. Have attended three Park West "art sales" since they took over, and have washed my hands after each one. Anne and I have many fine original works puirchasedd from Princess Fine Arts inb the past, but PW seems to deal in prints and other non-originals. Good high margined stuff for the mass market. There is a thread about this elsewhere on the site, and pretty much most agree this has been a poor change.

Need to get this posted while I can. Lots of grief with connections.

Hi Pia,

Nice to see you last week. Hope it warms up for you this one.

Wonder if they'll start weighing bags at boarding and charging for bags in excess of 50 lbs or those in excess of one per person?

I admit the thought has crossed my mind (glances uneasily at bag with a case plus of bottled water someone else will have the labor of loading and transporting to 2 feet outside my cabin)

For George: I originally spelled it "heresay" and spell check didn't like it. I looked it up in New Oxford dictionary, and it is in fact spelled without the "A." :D This too is alleviating boredom.

Now back to my back on the (ahem) verandah. :)

Just noticed you are from Pawleys Island. We lived there 8 years and still visit several times a year. We lived in Heritage. Have fun on your cruise. We love the Ruby.

Cool, we have several hammocks from Pawleys Island. My mom lives in Surfside and we visit the shops around the Original Hammock store at least once a year.

Anyway, we going on the Ruby for the 1st time in 26 days. Love the info!

Cool, we have several hammocks from Pawleys Island. My mom lives in Surfside and we visit the shops around the Original Hammock store at least once a year.

Anyway, we going on the Ruby for the 1st time in 26 days. Love the info!

Enjoy your Ruby cruise. Love those hammocks.

Ruby Internet problems are best resolved by tech officer Robert from Canada. He tweaked a couple antennas for us, and our reception improved.

The Ruby certified Zumba instructor disembarked about a week ago and Zumba was (temporarily?) replaced by another dance theme in the mornings at 9:15, which was the same time as Zumba during AtSea days.

I was wondering what happened to the Zumba on the 1/13-18 cruise. There were no classes.

Pia forgot to mention the daily one hour Bible study class that was held every morning.

Night 3 on the sailing and once again, the cruise is amazing.

Dinner at Crown Grill last was exceptional. We sat at the cooking bar and watched the chefs. It was quite an experience and we are heading back there tomorrow night.

We ended up docking at the International Pier. They kept telling us it was Puerta Maya but once we got off and walked out, there was the sign to go back to the International Pier.

They had to have 3 separate Platinum/Elite Captain's parties tonight as there are so many on board!

It's hearsay, but heresy was a funny thought.

Joanne: One night on our Ruby cruises in December they had a huge pile of shrimp cocktail in Horizon Court. They also served shrimp cocktail at the Platinum/Elite/Suite party one evening. And of course if you go to the dining room for dinner, you can order shrimp cocktails every night.