New to Princess

dadof2boys

Hi Everyone,

Myself, DW, and our two young boys are booked on the Sapphire Princess. We are new to Princess as we have only cruised on Carnival. Long story short, we were booked on a short West Coast Carnival cruise over spring break, however a great rate for Princess was emailed for the same time frame. We are a little Carnival'd out with over 10 cruises in the last couple of years.

We think it's a great line if you have never cruised before, but eventually we outgrew it. So we are trying out Princess.

All that to say, we know all of the tips and tricks with Carnival. For example, we each bring a bottle of wine on board, we know where to eat first on embarkation depending on the ship, etc.

I know that because this is a short 4 day there is no formal night, but was wondering what the typical attire for dinner is. We like to dress up, but I will leave the tux at home this trip :( with no formal night.

Any tips or tricks you all can suggest? Also, does anyone know if the atrium pool on Sapphire always keeps the roof closed? I like the idea of an indoor pool for the boys because spring break in California can still be chilly.

hi.

dont worry :)

you can get alot from these boards, search Secrets in the PRincess forum, theres a long good thread.

1 wine per adult is the same here.

Yes that pool is always indoor, but you can call them and ask, too.

i believe theres a buffet lunch when you get on, and they will direct people there.

i have 2 young kids too, and we've done Disney 2x with them, and its amazing.

(and 1x celebrity) and will do now 1 princess to compare.

You will enjoy it, i find all ships are similar in many ways.

Attire for dinner will be "smart casual" which means no ratty jeans, no shorts, no flip flops.

One bottle of wine each is fine. Any more than that will be charged a $15 corkage fee regardless of where it is consumed. Carry the wine on with you - don't put it in your checked luggage.

On embarkation day you can eat in one of the main dining rooms - IF you are on board early enough. Otherwise you can eat at the Horizon Court (buffet), the International Cafe in the atrium, or get burgers, dogs, or pizza up on the Lido deck.

EDIT: I believe Sapphire Princess also has Alfredo's Pizza. You may well want to give that a try. :D

Edited by Thrak

Yes, the Sapphire has Alfredos.

We just returned from a 4 day on the Sapphire, and if you're interested here's a link to my "LIVE" report: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1966140

Dinner attire in the dining room for many people was jeans and open neck shirts, but I saw many people who dressed up especially on our sea day. The roof was closed over the Conservatory every time I walked through there.

Hi Everyone,

Any tips or tricks you all can suggest?

Arrive San Pedro around 10:30/11am. Check in should start around 11:30. Boarding should start around noon with Full Suite/Elite/Platinum passengers first, then general boarding. Go directly to your cabin(s) they will be ready when you board. Princess musters in the indoor lounges on deck 7. Carry, don't wear, your life jackets to the muster drill. You will be instructed to put them on during the drill. Arrive 5 to 10mins early if you want a seat. Read the Princess Patter, it will mention all the live entertainment and activities for the evening. Princess has lots of live music throughout the ship.

You can grab lunch in the DR or as your boys would probably prefer, Pizza at Alfredo's on Deck 5, or Pizza by the slice by the pool. Also by the pool is the grill with all the burgers, dogs, fries, etc.. Soft Ice Cream is also available by the pool. There is the International Cafe on Deck 5 with sandwiches, soup, soft cookies, desserts, and in the morning, breakfast items. It's open 24 hours. The Buffet is open from 6am until midnight. There is no charge for any of these. Your boys may enjoy one of these soft drink packages:

Unlimited Soda Package Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a variety of unlimited soft drinks served by the glass at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.Item #0523$5.18 per person/per day*Unlimited Soda & More Package Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package,† entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, shakes, floats and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.Item #2312$8.05 per person/per day*

You can carry on one 750ml bottle of wine/PP over 21 at no charge. Additional bottles are charges a $15 corkage. No beer or spirits. You can also carry on all the soda or soft drinks you wish. Each cabin has a fridge.

Hi Everyone,

Any tips or tricks you all can suggest?

Arrive San Pedro around 10:30/11am. Check in should start around 11:30. Boarding should start around noon with Full Suite/Elite/Platinum passengers first, then general boarding. Go directly to your cabin(s) they will be ready when you board. Princess musters in the indoor lounges on deck 7. Carry, don't wear, your life jackets to the muster drill. You will be instructed to put them on during the drill. Arrive 5 to 10mins early if you want a seat. Read the Princess Patter, it will mention all the live entertainment and activities for the evening. Princess has lots of live music throughout the ship.

You can grab lunch in the DR or as your boys would probably prefer, Pizza at Alfredo's on Deck 5, or Pizza by the slice by the pool. Also by the pool is the grill with all the burgers, dogs, fries, etc.. Soft Ice Cream is also available by the pool. There is the International Cafe on Deck 5 with sandwiches, soup, soft cookies, desserts, and in the morning, breakfast items. It's open 24 hours. The Buffet is open from 6am until midnight. There is no charge for any of these. Your boys may enjoy one of these soft drink packages:

Unlimited Soda Package Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a variety of unlimited soft drinks served by the glass at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.Item #0523$5.18 per person/per day*Unlimited Soda & More Package Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package,† entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, shakes, floats and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.Item #2312$8.05 per person/per day*

You can carry on one 750ml bottle of wine/PP over 21 at no charge. Additional bottles are charges a $15 corkage. No beer or spirits. You can also carry on all the soda or soft drinks you wish. Each cabin has a fridge.

This is awesome! I was wondering about what time to arrive. Also the soda and more package that includes the floats and shakes will be awesome! Carnival does not have that as a part of any package.

Unlike Carnival, boarding doesn't start until cabins are ready so you can go directly to your cabin and start your cruise. Boarding usually starts between 11:30am-Noon.

Muster is indoors in a lounge or public space so you're comfortable and can hear. Bring your life vest but don't wear it. You'll put it on at the end of Muster and staff will be there to assist.

There are few public announcements and they are made in public areas, not cabins unless it's information of concern to all passengers.

Dining rooms are 1-story and laid out so you feel as though you're in a good restaurant. No dancing or singing waiters.

There's also a mini-fridge in every cabin on Princess. (our last cruise on Carnival was in 2002 and we never had a fridge in any of our Carnival cabins; after six Carnival cruises are next five have been on Princess)

You didn't say how old your boys are, but they might want to check out the kids' area the first night. The kidsitting for post 10pm is probably the same as on Carnival. And like Carnival, there are kid dinners in the buffet (the Horizon Court), but I'm not sure about the shorter cruises.

My girl has been going on Princess since she was 5 (she was 15 on her fifth Princess cruise a year ago).

The Sapphire is a beautiful ship. We went on it to Alaska when it was only a few months old. I bet the next time you start a thread about Princess you won't be using the :( icon.

There's also a mini-fridge in every cabin on Princess. (our last cruise on Carnival was in 2002 and we never had a fridge in any of our Carnival cabins; after six Carnival cruises are next five have been on Princess)

You didn't say how old your boys are' date=' but they might want to check out the kids' area the first night. The kidsitting for post 10pm is probably the same as on Carnival. And like Carnival, there are kid dinners in the buffet (the Horizon Court), but I'm not sure about the shorter cruises.

My girl has been going on Princess since she was 5 (she was 15 on her fifth Princess cruise a year ago).

The Sapphire is a beautiful ship. We went on it to Alaska when it was only a few months old. I bet the next time you start a thread about Princess you won't be using the :( icon.[/quote']

Our boys are 4 and 6. We were wondering about the kids buffet, so thank you for that.

The "sad face" was not supposed to be in the title to the topic. I put it in about not having a formal night on the 4 day. I didn't realize I selected the wrong one at first. Now I know, icons at the bottom are for your title. :)

Our boys are 4 and 6. We were wondering about the kids buffet, so thank you for that.

Just to be sure:

The kids buffet mentioned is an activity of the kids clubs on several nights of the cruise. There is no regular kids buffet area.

The dining room does have a kids menu they can order from if you wish.

Hi Everyone,

Myself, DW, and our two young boys are booked on the Sapphire Princess. We are new to Princess as we have only cruised on Carnival. Long story short, we were booked on a short West Coast Carnival cruise over spring break, however a great rate for Princess was emailed for the same time frame. We are a little Carnival'd out with over 10 cruises in the last couple of years.

We think it's a great line if you have never cruised before, but eventually we outgrew it. So we are trying out Princess.

All that to say, we know all of the tips and tricks with Carnival. For example, we each bring a bottle of wine on board, we know where to eat first on embarkation depending on the ship, etc.

I know that because this is a short 4 day there is no formal night, but was wondering what the typical attire for dinner is. We like to dress up, but I will leave the tux at home this trip :( with no formal night.

Any tips or tricks you all can suggest? Also, does anyone know if the atrium pool on Sapphire always keeps the roof closed? I like the idea of an indoor pool for the boys because spring break in California can still be chilly.

We have never seen the pool roof on any Princess cruise opened. :(

We are a little Carnival'd out with over 10 cruises in the last couple of years.

In the same boat (many Carnival cruises) - and our first Princess was Sapphire...LOVED it (see my review in signature). Now sailing Crown next week. Will sail Carnival in the future...just looking for new itineraries and experiences.

You will love Alfredo's and the various dining rooms - and the huge promenade.

Have a great cruise!

John in NC

With the unlimited soda and more package, can you buy that on board? Or do you need to purchase before you sail?

If you preorder and gift it to yourself, it's a little cheaper. I wonder if you get the mug, though? I'm not sure. Just repeating what I've read elsewhere as we are new to Princess, too!

My kids love the kids menu in the MDR on Princess. We often had to ask for it on Sapphire, though, and sometimes they had to do some digging to find one. (This may not be the case as there are likely to be far more children on your voyage than the 12 or so on ours)

The kids menus are disposable/made to be colored on, so I finally just took one with us so I didn't have to keep asking for them. That said, the waiters were great with the kids. The Volcano dessert on the kids menu is great for adults and kids alike. Also, our kids loved the fettuccine alfredo in the parmesan basket from the adult menu. We got our kids the UKP and they loved all the mocktails, hot chocolates, and Shirley Temples.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but if you call Princess with your booking number they can give you the number of kids on your voyage and the basic breakdown of ages. I always like to do this to get an idea of how many potential playmates there are for my kiddos.

One thing unique to Sapphire and a couple of other Princess ships is Alfredo's Pizzeria. It is right there in the atrium. They have great pizza, but the regular menu is made for adults and kids more adventurous than mine. I found it wasn't a problem to request a cheese or pepperoni pizza for them.