Carnival is coming back to Norfolk!

TLC371

I'm thrilled. I hope they have some cruises to other places than Nassau and Freeport then we'll be on one!

I hope so too . we went to Bermuda on the Glory out of Norfolk . It was awesome . Leave home and drive 15 minutes to the ship .

Are you sure about 4 hours?

My map is showing Charleston, SC to Norfolk, VA as 435 miles.

I don't think the OP meant is was 4 hours between Norfolk and Charleston. I think they meant Norfolk was 4 hours from their home. I suspect they live somewhere in between Norfolk and Charleston!

As a Richmond resident (two hours from the Norfolk port), I'm really glad to see they will be returning. But it will come down to the destinations they offer. We were on the Glory in October and enjoyed the quick 5 day cruise to the Bahamas and back.

That's the first time I've been on a cruise less than a week, and it reinforced my believe that I want at least a week and I'd be fine with destinations that are about 10 days or so.

Absolutely love to cruise we have 17 with Carnival I think we are in the minority because we sail for the ship experience the ports have no part in our decision! We have not sailed out of Norfolk-yet- but we will price it. And we love Nassau, been there 8 times, it has some of the most beautiful places to take pictures. Graycliffs is gorgeous, John Watlings is fun and beautiful,the straw market is still fascinating to me. Looking forward to wherever my cruise ship takes me!!!

Please Carnival send these ships somewhere other than the Bahamas!! 10 day cruises would be so nice and could go to the Carribbean Islands.

This is really great news to have them coming back!

See my post #13.

Again, that's the "problem" with east coast ports. The ship can only sail so fast. There are only so many ports within their range.

Yes, Carnival has a few sailings that are >7 days, but not regularly (other than a couple ships in S FL).

Young families and/or new budget-concious cruisers (their target demographic whether we want it to be or not) simply cannot afford the vacation time and the cost of longer cruises. Why do you think those long HAL cruises are full of octogenarians? Because they aren't working and have money!!

YAY!!! We are thrilled they will be back. Losing Baltimore really stunk, losing both Baltimore and Norfolk was the pits! We will be happy with 2 drive-able choices. I don't even care about the ports as we are the type who cruise just to be on the ship, any ship! However, it would be nice to have some longer cruises offered. New York is generally more expensive than Baltimore and Norfolk, so less expensive cruises are a plus too!

This is great news! We just decided to try Carnival out of Baltimore next month so hopefully my son will love cruising (he is autistic) and we can start going closer to home as Norfolk is only 2 hours from us!

Absolutely love to cruise we have 17 with Carnival I think we are in the minority because we sail for the ship experience the ports have no part in our decision! We have not sailed out of Norfolk-yet- but we will price it. And we love Nassau, been there 8 times, it has some of the most beautiful places to take pictures. Graycliffs is gorgeous, John Watlings is fun and beautiful,the straw market is still fascinating to me. Looking forward to wherever my cruise ship takes me!!!

We are totally with you on this one. You are not alone! :D We sailed once out of Norfolk and we were amazed at how easy and convenient it was.

What is Graycliffs, and John Watlings? We are heading there next month and we have a new camera we would love to explore with!:D

Lea :)

Since we live in Ohio, none of the ports are within a short (less than five hours) driving distance for us. Probably New York would be the closest. However, since Virginia is one of our favorite states to visit, we definitely wouldn't have a problem spending some pre or post cruise time there. It'll be interesting to see which ship or ships make Norfolk their home, and what itineraries would be offered. Should Carnival decide to offer a 10-day Southern Caribbean itinerary, especially on one of the newer ships, we'd be there for sure.;):)

Hubby & I just found out about it this morning. We live in VA Beach, so we are stoked! We just cruised out of Miami over the holidays and we paid more money for airfare than we did for the actual cruise!! Can't wait to see the itinerary for 2015!! :)

We are totally with you on this one. You are not alone! :D We sailed once out of Norfolk and we were amazed at how easy and convenient it was.

What is Graycliffs, and John Watlings? We are heading there next month and we have a new camera we would love to explore with!:D

Lea :)

Gray cliffs is a beautiful hotel about 4 blocks from the straw market and John Watlings is a rum factory with tours! Go to the Bahamas ports of call board and do a search. I have posted several things on there, also John Watlings has a page on FB.

Does it say what ship?

The purpose of the Spirit class ships was to cover greater distances in shorter time, making the exotic ports availabel from New York, Baltimore, and Norfolk.

Now pulling those ships, sending half to Australia, and Carnival being taboo to Bermuda, it leaves the glub glub ships heading to Florida and the Bahamas.

Yawn. Did it once. Never again.

Based on reading this and seeing what Carnival has said, it appears to me that Norfolk will be a stop over for the splendor on the way to NY. Everything I read is that Carnival will only be sailing out of NY in 2015 em during the summer. If that is the case, then I see them coming up from fla and crusing out of Norfolk for the month of April, then going to NY for May - Sept, then back to Norfolk for October.. Well something is better then nothing, with only 10 crusies in Norfolk in 2015, I think that 1 month in the spring and 1 month in the fall, is all we are going to get.

We're in Va Beach, and am glad to see Carnival coming back. I just wish they'd do a couple of cruises when schools are out in VA - we were never able to take the October/May cruises because we can't pull kiddo out of school for that long. Ah, well, at least there's hope now... I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

See my post #13.

Again, that's the "problem" with east coast ports. The ship can only sail so fast. There are only so many ports within their range.

Norfolk is around 10 hours closer to the Carribbean islands than Baltimore. They can easily do cruises to other islands than the Bahamas on a 7 or 8 day cruise. We sail from Baltimore a lot and it takes us at least 10 hours to get down to the Norfolk area.

Maybe they could alternate shorter cruises (6 or 7 days) with longer cruises (10-12 days). That would be nice.

Just in the nick of time! I've been looking to book a cruise close to home for next spring to take my brother on and was going to book GOS out of Baltimore. Now I'm going to wait to see which ship and which itinerary..hoping not to the Bahamas..took him there on the Pride last year.

Losing Baltimore really stunk !

The Q&A section of Carnival's Norfolk Statement hints that they will also return to Baltimore, although it doesn't give more specific information.

Edited by Tapi

The Q&A section of Carnival's Norfolk Statement hints that they will also return to Baltimore, although it doesn't give more specific information.

Agree....just off Pride and a travel agent group was on board who commented that they have been told to expect a ship back in Baltimore during summer months atleast. This would jive with Norfolk's May/Oct transistion cruises as a ship would move from the NE to Florida for winters. I know just heresay and speculation, but I love the idea.

Whoo Hoo.....May 2015 College Graduation Trip.