Chops or Giovanni's? sell me on your favorite

erfarb

We will be cruising in May on the Oasis. This board has been so helpful in all aspects of my planning, I am reaching out to you once again. If you had to choose between Chops and Giovanni's , which would you choose and why? Thank you in advance for all the suggestions.

Apparently I did start a new thread, sorry for the confusion. Giovanni's seems to take the lead. Can I ask what the differences are, other than the menu? What did you like/ dislike? Is Chops formal and Giovanni's informal? Is the atmosphere better in one over the other? If you had to recommend a dish at one of these restaurants , what would you have us try?

On Oasis, I'd go with Giovanni's. And it's nothing specific, and it's been something like 3 (or maybe 4) cruises ago, but Chops on Oasis just didn't seem the same as Chops on Freedom class (I've done all three), or Jewell. And I can't really explain it! I think Chops in most of the fleet is relatively formal, in a traditional steakhouse kind of way, and maybe was less so on Oasis? That's a plus or minus, but we were looking for the nice steak, great bottle of wine, etc., experience.

Giovanni's was very good, and, at least at that time, fresh. The reviews I've seen since suggest it's remained that way. It would definitely be more informal than Chops in the rest of the fleet, but like I say, Oasis seemed different. But, I recall the food being very good and the experience very nice.

Having said that, if you're at all adventurous, 150 Central Park beats both hands down (in my humbled and biased opinion)!

If you cannot do both, then I'd go with Giovanni's. We've not been impressed with our meals at Chops lately.

I will second this. Our first few times at Chops, the experience was perfect. On Oasis last month, I was less than impressed. The presentation was great, the service was great, but the food was not up to par. Our meals weren't hot and the quality just didn't seem to be there.

On the other hand, we had a fantastic experience with Giovanni's. We actually booked one more night after our nice experience on the second night of the cruise.

We planned Chops for the last night of the cruise as a nice "finishing touch" on the cruise, but we were disappointed in it.

I'd recommend 150 CP or Giovanni's.

We just finished our cruise on the Allure. We went to both Chops and Giovanni's. Both were good. I agree with some of the other posters that the Chops quality was just a bit off, but good. Giovanni's had great bread, good apps and pasta, but the mains were not great (chicken, veal medallions, jumbo shrimp). Desserts better at Chops. I hope this helps.

I'm a big fan of Chops and have had very good luck with my meals there. Always get the jumbo shrimp cocktail, mushroom soup, the filet (medium rare) with the Cabernet sauce and a couple of sides (Favorites are the green beans and roasted potatoes). The piece de resistance is the sky high red velvet cake.

Giovanni's, in my opinion, is a glorified Olive Garden restaurant.

Well, having not been to Giovanni's it's probably not fair that I reply (and by the sounds of it, I think we need to try it!) ... but anyway, we LOVED Chops. The service and food were exquisite! We sat outside (not a fan of air conditioning!) and the with the lights and all it was such a beautiful and romantic ambiance! The shrimp cocktail was not only huge, but delicious! The Filet Mignon perfectly cooked and so tender you could cut it with a butter knife! The sides and dessert once again FABULOUS!! Course this was in May of 2011 ... but we loved it and would try it again ... except like I said, sounds like we should give Giovanni's a try as well. My thinking was we love a good steak and can get Italian any time. And, now that I think of it, we did do an Italian Restaurant once quite some time ago ... maybe on the Freedom? I can't be sure, but I do remember we weren't all that impressed and the service was not all that good. Don't know if it was Giovanni's or not. Anyway ... that's my input! Enjoy whichever you choose! :)

Why not try both? They are each unique and different in their own ways. One is Italian served family style and the other is an upscale steakhouse.

Giovanni's Table serves old world Italian food family style. Chops Steakhouse has great steaks with amazing sides, which are also served family style.

Agree try both if possible.

They are both wonderful. Have we had a not so great experience here and there yes, but every ship is different and we have been truly spoiled at times. The staff rotate as well, as the chefs.

If for some unfortunate reason your not happy with the food or service speak up they will correct it. It doubtful that this would happen but .......

Giovanni's has a great lunch menu as well. So maybe Chops for Dinner etc..

Just a thought enjoy.

We are on her next month and will be doing both restaurants again ourselves.

They are different..Chops is a steakhouse..Giovanni's more Italian family style...I've eaten in Chops 16 times...NEVER had a bad meal...crab cakes worth the $30 PP alone, don't miss if you like that..side dishes to die for- the potatoes au gratin amazing...asparagus with cream sauce also yummy...NY Strip & Filet Mignon always perfect...we were on the Allure last Valentine's Day on a 3 day special cruise, and although Chops was a bit noisy, we thought food & service were exceptional..only thing was I prefer Chops on Freedom/ Voyager class because it has a great view of the sea-Chops on Oasis is in Central Park, with no sea view. I also agree to try both...IMO, the main dining room food ( MDR) can be hit n' miss...Big Al's tip: order several side dishes and share them, there's no extra charge, and they are, IMO, the highlight of the meal!!

Big Al