Eastern Australia Port Activities

Hey Guys,

Me and my wife (31 and 26) have booked an eastern Australia cruise on Rhapsody in March 2014.

The cruise is departing and finishing in Sydney and the ports of call are Brisbane, Airlie Beach, Cairns and Newcastle. This will be our first time in Australia and we were having a look at the excursions off the ship that Royal Caribbean are offering and there doesnt seem to be much on offer and they seem really overpriced for what they have.

Could anyone that has been to the ports/cities recommend some good tours, activities, etc that we could do.....

We like to be fairly active, dont just want to sit on a beach all day also interested in local wildlife (zoos and parks).

Thanks for reading and looking forward to your opinions/ideas.

In Brisbane go to the Gold Coast I thought the price Royal charged was reasonable considering where you dock in Brisbane. Too much trouble organising your own stuff in Brisbane. The trip to the Gold Coast works out much better value then the shuttle to Brisbane CBD. In Brisbane you are docked at the port 20kms from CBD. No public transport nearby.

The Barrier Reef is a must from Arlie Beach $250 is roughly the price of a trip from the mainland to the reef anyway.

The Daintree and Kuranda are good to visit from Cairns.

My recommendations are -- firstly, make sure that you have arranged plenty of time before and after the cruise to see Sydney and surrounds. This could easily be up to a week either side of the cruise. Secondly, spend some money for shore tours on the visits to Brisbane and Cairns (you can have very nice days in Airlie Beach and Newcastle without spending anything much)

For Brisbane, I would recommend a full day trip down to the Gold Coast and for Cairns, a full day trip either out to the Barrier Reef (but no point in doing this if you don't snorkel) or into the mountainous hinterland. Airlie beach -- just walk to the town and the open air artificial lagoon .. Newcastle -- just spend time along the foreshore

If you are wine drinkers, you could also possibly spend money on a full day tour to the Hunter Valley wine region when in Newcastle

Australia is now a fairly expensive destination for Europeans -- it used to be the other way around 10 or more years ago. And we have found that cruises ship shore tours are more expensive here than they are in European waters ( less value for the money too) -- but unfortunately that is the way it is. It would be a shame for you to come all the way here and be put off by prices -- the most important thing with our holidays/trips is that we have an enjoyable time and that we have good memories. It is said that when going on holiday, we should put all our clothes and money on the bed on the night before we travel -- then halve the amount of clothes and double the amount of money.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Dont forget...You are spending a lot of money to fly half way round the world and back and you will only have limited time in the ports you visit.

Dont overlook the ship tours...they may be expensive , but are organised to fit your time frame and make the most of the little time you have available.

I agree with Barry about a pre/post stay for a few days in Sydney.

You can organise that on your own . Sydney is very tourist friendly .

Brisbane. Ships tour to Gold Coast

Airlie Beach. Ships tour to Reef

Cairns. Ships tour to Kuranda on train and Gondola back

Newcastle. A wine tour or on your own.

Airlie Beach. Ships tour to Reef

David

I always advise AGAINST a ship's tour to the reef from the Whitsunday Islands area (Airlie Beach)

Basically -- it is VERY dicy/iffy, because the outer reef is a long way offshore, the Whitsundays area is famous for its sailing activities ( because of the strong onshore south easterly winds that often blow along that coast - winds which are not good for travel out to the outer reef in a small catamaran and snorkelling) . NO!! for anybody who wants to see the reef from a cruiseship, Cairns is the place for that -- otherwise the Whitsundays is a great place for outer reef visits if you are staying in the area for a week or so ( so you can watch the weather and pick the right day) -- seen too many people pay big money for a trip to the outer reef from Airlie only to have it wasted. Seasickness like you have never seen!!! :)

Barry

David

I always advise AGAINST a ship's tour to the reef from the Whitsunday Islands area (Airlie Beach)

Basically -- it is VERY dicy/iffy, because the outer reef is a long way offshore, the Whitsundays area is famous for its sailing activities ( because of the strong onshore south easterly winds that often blow along that coast - winds which are not good for travel out to the outer reef in a small catamaran and snorkelling) . NO!! for anybody who wants to see the reef from a cruiseship, Cairns is the place for that -- otherwise the Whitsundays is a great place for outer reef visits if you are staying in the area for a week or so ( so you can watch the weather and pick the right day) -- seen too many people pay big money for a trip to the outer reef from Airlie only to have it wasted. Seasickness like you have never seen!!! :)

Barry

While I agree with Barry, if it is the only chance to get to the outer reef it is still worth it, but do a ship's tour and if the weather is too bad, you get your money back. :D

I'm afraid I am going to have to disagree with the suggestion of taking a tour to the Gold Coast. Sure there are some nice beaches (but the OP says he is not one for lazing on the sand); there are some world class amusement parks - but I saw no mention of children, and those places are hardly an adult attraction. There are high rise apartments and canal side mansions, but all in all I find the GC leaves me totally cold, and I would suggest that the OP would be disappointed.

Instead, might I suggest he considers a local Brisbane tour and perhaps visit the Lone Pine Koala sanctuary or even go up to Steve Irwins Australia Zoo. An internet search will show a number of operators, but perhaps he could even consider a private tour host....still cheaper than the ship's tours.

I recall when we were on the Solstice last year, we called into Brisbane, and I had arranged via our roll call to take about 30 pax on a Chartered City Council Bus on a tour around Brisbane. Lots of hard work organising, but still a bit of fun. Don't want to take it up professionally however.

I agree that the OP should spend some time in Sydney. There is an enormous amount of things to do and see there - although I do wonder sometimes about why the Blue "Mountains" are touted as such a great attraction. They are not exactly the Rockies or the Alps. (I am a Sydney boy originally and I have hiked through most of the Blue Mtns when I was a "Brussell Sprout")

In Cairns, my suggestion is to do either the Kuranda train (pay the extra couple of bucks and go Gold Class - worth it) or a day trip to Green Island. Bit of a cop out if you want to see the reef up close, but the tour does include a glass bottomed boat ride with expert commentary...so its not that bad.

cheers

Regarding the Brisbane port visit, I must also respectfully disagree with those recommending the Gold Coast and instead generally support Flipper 133. I write from the perspective of someone from far away who has toured in SE Qld for a total of about a month over the past 20 years, most recently 2 yr ago. You might also want to check on the attractions in downtown Brisbane. Depending on your interests, you might find more than enough things of interest within walking distance of downtown Brisbane to justify spending the day there. Note that the ship will not go upriver as far as downtown Brisbane, so you would have to arrange transportation from the dock to there.

John

and if the weather is too bad, you get your money back. :D

I don't know about that!!! :( -- obviously if the weather is that bad (ie a cyclone) the trips to the outer reef will not go ahead -- BUT plenty of times the weather is just "unsuitable" but the trips still go ahead, much to the chagrin of those who go on them.

Barry

I would also add my vote against going to the Gold Coast from Brisbane. However I would recommend looking to see if there is a suitable tour that takes you up to O'Reillys Rainforest Retreat in the hinterland, where there are lots of birds and a lovely short bush walk including a canopy walk section. I did a day trip from Brisbane up there many years ago, and also spent a couple of nights there about three years ago. Beautiful scenery and the road up to O'Reillys is amazing.

I'll add my vote to the Kuranda day trip from Cairns. There are two stops on the gondola where you can get off and walk through the bush. Kuranda itself is a bit touristy but there are some interesting attractions. The train trip is great and, yes, go Gold class. However it is also possible to do Reef tours from Cairns if you didn't manage to do one from Airlie Beach.

There is plenty to do in Sydney - you can walk around past the Opera House to the Botanical Gardens and on up to Mrs Macquaries Chair which has lovely views over the harbour. Take a ferry to Manly and walk from the wharf on the harbourside to the surf beach. Personally I think the scenery at the Blue Mountains is stunning so I think it's worth doing, especially if you can take the scenic railway down into the valley where there is a lovely bush walk around to Katoomba Falls.

I'd second the winery tour from Newcastle.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I don't know about that!!! :( -- obviously if the weather is that bad (ie a cyclone) the trips to the outer reef will not go ahead -- BUT plenty of times the weather is just "unsuitable" but the trips still go ahead, much to the chagrin of those who go on them.

Barry

Surely if the water is too rough, the passengers would/can be injured so they wouldn't risk the chance of lawsuits or damage to their reputation.

I would do the GBR from cairns we did the same cruise last year but the reef trip was not available with the ship from cairns only at Airlie beach which we went on , it was good but only 2 hours at the reef. I see the one they are offering in cairns is less time traveling giving you 4.5 hours at the reef

At Newcastle I would recommend the Port Stephens dolphin cruise although this is also weather permitting

Surely if the water is too rough, the passengers would/can be injured so they wouldn't risk the chance of lawsuits or damage to their reputation.

Not from my personal observation of a couple of cruises where it would have been better for the tours to have been cancelled - and also my understanding of what has similarly happened on a couple more. There is obviously a dividing line between GO and NO-GO but that line is very broad and the consequences not fully understood with the ship at anchor inside the Whitsundays -- only realised after the catamaran is 20 miles or so further out to sea heading for the outer reef with 25-30 knot south-easterlys blowing and having been blowing for 12 hours or more. :(

Barry

Not from my personal observation of a couple of cruises where it would have been better for the tours to have been cancelled - and also my understanding of what has similarly happened on a couple more. There is obviously a dividing line between GO and NO-GO but that line is very broad and the consequences not fully understood with the ship at anchor inside the Whitsundays -- only realised after the catamaran is 20 miles or so further out to sea heading for the outer reef with 25-30 knot south-easterlys blowing and having been blowing for 12 hours or more. :(

Barry

That is not good, I would have expected better from Aussie tour companies, they certainly charge enough to cover themselves for bad weather cancellations.:D

That is not good, I would have expected better from Aussie tour companies, they certainly charge enough to cover themselves for bad weather cancellations.:D

Lot of money involved -- say 100 passengers @ $250-300 each !!! :)

Trouble is -- the definition of "bad weather" . The weather I am talking about is perfectly normal in the Whitsundays -- a nice sailing breeze of say 25-30 knots -- very exciting for the sailors :)

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

I would also add my vote against going to the Gold Coast from Brisbane.

What we as Aussies have to realise is - that for many overseas tourists, there are just some "must see" places in Australia -- even if we, as Aussies,don't maybe think too much of them. ( For example, when they show fabulous pics and videos of the Outback -- they never mention the flies, do they! :) --but overseas visitors have just got to see the "outback" :) )

For example -- when we go to Paris -- we HAVE TO go see the Eiffel Tower. When we go to Los Angeles , we HAVE TO go to Disneyland. When we go to Munich, we HAVE to go to the Hofbrauhaus. But if you ask any of the residents of these places where we should go, they will not say these places. Regardless of that however, we have to go to these famous places before we see anywhere else. WHY?? well who can really go to Paris for a few short days and come home saying that they haven't seen the Eiffel Tower - and who can really go to Los Angeles and come home without seeing Disneyland??? :) Well -- you may have had a very personal epiphany on the beach at Santa Monica -- BUT YOU DIDN'T GO TO DISNEYLAND????? :)

Barry

Agree with the comments against the Gold Coast.

Also, the OP said they already looked at the excursions and consider them overpriced, which makes it pretty much impossible to visit the GC. I agree the prices are high - it's about $60US /adult just for the shuttle to the theme parks, without entry.

Trying to do it yourself from the ship to the GC will be quite complicated, risky and costly so also isn't worth it.

Thanks for all your replies,

Just letting anyone that suggested that we spend time in Sydney know we are spending 4 days in Sydney (2 days in Kuala Lumper before that) before the cruise.

I didnt ask about Sydney as we know theres plenty to do and see, but we are open to ideas. it was more the other ports we're concerned about.

When i said about the ships excursions being over priced, Its not that we're trying to do it on the "cheap", its just that I dont want to waste money if I could of got a better tour for the same price. And I totally agree about the ships tours being tailored for the passengers to get the most out of the time they have in each port and its must easier and safer to book with the ship.

But we were on an Asian Cruise last June and I felt embarrassed for RC as their excursions were so bad.

About the Great Barrier Reef, i know its kind of a "must see/do" but the thing is (dont laugh) we're not great swimmers, Im afraid of water in fact!! so that really puts that out of the question.

The Gold Coast has the beaches but being from Ireland, 30 minutes just lying on a beach and we'd need hospital treatment for 3rd degree burns :).

We've been to Orlando for the theme parks so not really too pushed about going to a park.

Would anyone second Flipper133's idea of the Brisbane tour and visit Lone Pine Koala sanctuary? Or would Steve Irwins zoo be a better choice? or would it be a waste just to spend the day in a zoo instead of seeing more of Brisbane?

Is it still possible to hold a Koala is some places, isn't it not allowed in some parts of Aus now?

Going by a few opinions, a definite in Cairns is going to Kuranda and the train trip.

Thanks for the ideas so far, but keep them coming as we haven't decided on anything just yet :confused:

We did a great ships tour to GBR from Cairns a couple of years ago (with Quicksilver? I think) and had plenty of time at the pontoon. Highly recommended. And a highlight of the cruise was a fantastic tour with Ocean Rafting in Airlie Beach. Awesome and exhilarating.

Jenny - Cruising out of sunny Tauranga, NZ

And I have a suggestion for Sydney - take an "I'm Free" walking tour. Takes an hour or two and gives you a brisk walk around historic places with a knowledgable guide. All for tips. Great to do to stretch the legs when you first arrive.

Jenny - Cruising out of sunny Tauranga, NZ

Following up my earlier comments in favour of "downtown" Brisbane over the Gold Coast, I meant to include the interesting South Bank area of Brisbane (e.g., Qld Museum and Maritime Museum) -- walkable from "downtown".

O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat (suggested by OzKiwiJJ), and the nearby and similar Binna Burra area, also in Lamington National Park, are fantastic places for anyone interested in birds and nature generally. However, a substantial proportion of a one-day port visit to Brisbane would be spent getting to Lamington and back. Lamington NP is quite a distance from Brisbane, and the scenic roads up the mountain are slow going.

Notwithstanding the mixed opinions in Australia about Australia Zoo and the late Steve Irwin, we enjoyed a full-day visit there in 2012. We had also been there in 1996 when it was the Qld Reptile & Fauna Park; then it was quite small, and we were able to talk with Steve & Terri Irwin. The huge expansion since 1996 has positive and negative aspects, but there are many reptiles, birds & mammals (including koalas) on display.

For the Cairns stop, going to the outer GBR by fast catamaran and to Kuranda by train and/or cable car are both very enjoyable in our view. However, for anyone who is more a "land person" than a "water person", then the Kuranda option would make sense. We also enjoy travelling north to the Daintree River and Daintree NP, and travelling inland to the Atherton Tableland. Far too many good options for one day!

Don't skimp on time in Sydney. There is an abundance of places of interest both in the city and accessible via day trips, such as the Blue Mtns. (Despite having visited much "bigger" mountains in various parts of the world, we have enjoyed our visits to the Blue Mtns and will probably return on a future visit.) Again, far too many good options, even for the OP's planned 4 day visit to Sydney.

John

To the OP -- why don't you give us some quick descriptions of the things that are being offered as shore tours (including prices) and perhaps we can make comments on them. It is always difficult as locals to recommend places to people from overseas -- what we find boring (familiarity breeds contempt) you may find fascinating.

I have been going to the Gold Coast (south of Brisbane) for the past 50 or more years. I never sit on a beach or go swimming. But I never tire of going there - it is a beautiful place. It is basically an Australian version of America's Miami or Honolulu -- and I am sure that those Aussies here who are "knocking" a visit to the Gold Coast for somebody from Ireland would thoroughly enjoy a day visit to either Miami or Honolulu without any thought of actually sitting on a beach all day. :)

Barry

What I do when planning trips is to write a list of 'must do or see' and 'would like to do or see' things and work from that. Sometimes there are tours that only do one of the items but occasionally there are some that do multiple items from the list.

I suggest the OP compiles their list and then lets us know and we can help with suggestions as to how they can best do them.:D