seasickness AFTER the cruise?

1of4

Does anyone else suffer from symptoms of vertigo or seasickness the day after they leave the ship? I am going on day five and my world is still spinning.

Yes, I have had it last over two weeks :( For me, time is the cure. Also, I've found avoiding moving my head quickly helps some, so I don't drive for a while after getting back on land -- shoulder-checking really seems to make it worse.

Yes, my sinuses may continue to slosh for a few days to a few weeks after a cruise. Particularly troublesome during those night time excursions to the bathroom.

When it is bad I take bonine. My worst adjustments came after our 2007 cruise to Antarctica on the Prinsendam when we experienced REALLY significant seas for a couple of days. That took a long time to disappear. Usually it is only a couple of days.

Does anyone else suffer from symptoms of vertigo or seasickness the day after they leave the ship? I am going on day five and my world is still spinning.

Yes, you are not alone, and it is a well known condition, unfortunately.:( I don't seem to be affected after every cruise, but when I am often it can take about a week to settle down. I often have to brace myself against the bathroom counter to brush my teeth, and I bounce from wall to wall walking down the hallway.:eek:

Yes, you are not alone, and it is a well known condition, unfortunately.:( I don't seem to be affected after every cruise, but when I am often it can take about a week to settle down. I often have to brace myself against the bathroom counter to brush my teeth, and I bounce from wall to wall walking down the hallway.:eek:

Been there, done that. :D

Thanks everyone for the links and sharing your experiences. I was actually at the doctor this afternoon that diagnosed the Meniere's Disease and he okayed wearing both the patch and taking up to 3 of my prescription pills a day.

Unfortunately I have to drive 2.5 hours a day and can't get away from it. But when people at work ask me if I am okay because my eyes don't look right I thought there has to be more to this.

And you have told me there definately is!

I can't tell you how many people on the Disney Magic just assumed I was drunk when they pushed me and I fell over...it happened many times and instead of being appologetic they looked at me with scorn. Oh well, my family and I know the truth.

The problem actually is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) and there are some prescription medical treatments for those who have a really bad, long lasting, case. From what I understand the normal seasickness meds like Meclizine are not very effective so this is something that should be taken to your family physician.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We usually take fairly long cruises of 21 - 30+ days and while I don't feel any seasickness coming home, my husband calls me "Lurch-a-lot" as I do tend to occasionally bump into things for about a week or so... It's kind of embarassing but he thinks it's so funny. He has a warped sense of humour.

This happened to me on my first cruise (7 day) but I haven't noticed it since and have taken longer cruises, so I guess for me it's hit and miss. It lasted for 2-3 days after my return from the cruise and mine wasn't too bad, just felt like the room was moving like the ship!