Main Dinner Seating vs. My Time Dining

For an Oasis cruise in February, I have already reserved the 6 PM dinner seating. I am thinking about switching to My Time Dining, but am hesitant to give up the seating I already have. Suggestions about each?

Done both and we prefer traditional. Others will say just the opposite.

Did traditional first, went to my time on three cruises then went back

to traditional.

The simplest way to say it is that we found traditional to be more traditional.

I know, what a deep & profound answer, right?

6pm seating is in demand, so please think it through before you switch.

I am curious about this too. The first two times we sailed we had the late seating and really enjoyed it. On our upcoming cruise in 6 weeks, we are booked with my time dining and just thinking that having to make a reservation every night will be a hassle. Also, we love having the same waiter every night and we are worried about how MTD will be different.

The DW and I have done early, late, and MTD. We prefer MTD now for the following reasons. Early dining was just too much of a rush coming back to the ship at 430 or 5 and then having to rush to get ready to eat at 6. Late dining was just too late for us. We don't stay up until midnight or later anymore and eating at 8:30 was just too late.

In MTD, we have set our schedule to arrive at 6:45. It just seems to work out well for us. When we do specialty restaurants, we schedule those around the shows we want to see and it seems to work just fine. On our last 2 cruises with MTD, we had the same waiter and table mates for the cruise and it was just like "traditional" dining.

If 6pm works for you, why switch? We enjoy that we have the same table/tablemates (yes, we LIKE tablemates!) waiting just for us nightly!

We agree totally. For us the traditional seating dinner experience is part of what we consider to be "our evening activities". We like having the same wait staff each evening who come to know likes, dislikes and by about mid-cruise deliver what they know you'd like to drink without being asked. Feels nice to us. :)

We find many of those who do traditional dining are experienced travelers and the conversations are almost always interesting.

We always do traditional for the reasons stated above. But reading these posts, seems many (if not most) do My Time as a sort of "traditional" at a different time. They tend to get the same table, same waiters, at the same time. We are doing My Time in May as Traditional was full. We are a party of 10 and it's already a "pain." Some want early (5:30 to 6:00) some want late (me included). And with 10, we'll pretty likely need a reservation every night. Traditional resolves all that. We'll see how it goes. :)

I'm a fan of My time dining only because it gives us the flexibility to eat dinner whenever we want. After trying assigned-dining times on our first cruise, we haven't gone back to it since. My only suggestion is, if you are in a large group of people (5+) it'd be a good idea to do assigned-dining because you could have a long wait to get a table.

We just got off the Allure of the Seas last month, 2 of my friends (a couple) including my wife and I and we waited less than 5 minutes each night during the cruise for My time dining mainly because it was only 4 of us. We requested the same wait-staff and we got them! The one night we waited about 25 minutes was because it was formal night + they were serving lobster tails so it was pretty packed, but even then we just chatted with fellow cruisers and the time went fast.

As mentioned above, I do like the flexibility of my time dining - even if that means you have to pre-pay gratuities, however in my upcoming cruise with 10 people we're definitely doing assigned time dining so we don't have to wait!

Hope this helps along with other cruiser responses. Have fun!

Edited by johnt83

Hi. On my first cruise, we had traditional seating and it was so great having the same people all week.....

.....but I just booked a cruise to Bermuda where MY TIME DINING was the only option. Does that mean that all of the traditional dinner times are taken??? :confused:

Also, I am completely lost on what MY TIME really means. From reading posts, I gather you call each day and "reserve" a table for whatever time you want? (that actually sounds really great!) Does it have to be between certain times, like 6 and 9?

Also, how often do you actually get what you ask for? (I ask because my husband has been diabetic since he was 12 years old and I don't want him waiting until after 8:30pm to be eating his dinner)

Thanks for your help! ;)

As mentioned above, I do like the flexibility of my time dining - even if that means you have to pre-pay gratuities

I'm sorry I forgot to ask about the pre-pay gratuity. When booking our cruise, we paid a LOT towards that....because our only option was MY TIME. Do we pre-pay gratuity again on the ship? (We like giving good tips, but I mean the set pre-pay price?)

I'm sorry I forgot to ask about the pre-pay gratuity. When booking our cruise, we paid a LOT towards that....because our only option was MY TIME. Do we pre-pay gratuity again on the ship? (We like giving good tips, but I mean the set pre-pay price?)

You only pay the recommended gratuities once. If you prepaid, then you will not be charged on the ship.

Hi we did My Time Dining on the Allure last year. We made our reservation the first night for 6:30pm every night and we had the same wait staff every night. It was just like doing Traditional Dining I thought. We could have had a different wait staff if we wanted but we loved Hermant so much we requested him both the first week and second week.

So it all depends on what you prefer.

For an Oasis cruise in February, I have already reserved the 6 PM dinner seating. I am thinking about switching to My Time Dining, but am hesitant to give up the seating I already have. Suggestions about each?

prefer early. more time to eat more later :eek:

Edited by Pennstateman

Please help educate me on Royal's MTD. When I've used the MTD on Carnival, you just arrive to the dining room for dinner whenever you would like and you are seated. Am I correct in that on Royal you have to schedule a time?

Hi. On my first cruise, we had traditional seating and it was so great having the same people all week.....

.....but I just booked a cruise to Bermuda where MY TIME DINING was the only option. Does that mean that all of the traditional dinner times are taken??? :confused:

Also, I am completely lost on what MY TIME really means. From reading posts, I gather you call each day and "reserve" a table for whatever time you want? (that actually sounds really great!) Does it have to be between certain times, like 6 and 9?

Also, how often do you actually get what you ask for? (I ask because my husband has been diabetic since he was 12 years old and I don't want him waiting until after 8:30pm to be eating his dinner)

Thanks for your help! ;)

We originally had doubts about the value of My Time Dining but now are vocal proponents. We can eat according to a schedule that may or may not coincide with the traditional dining times which often seem either too early (5:30) or too late (8:30), are able to get the same excellent wait staff, and, if we wish, simply walk up without a reservation and be seated (usually within five minutes). We are even able to add or subtract people to our table when necessary, so we can dine by ourselves or with a group of friends. The people in MTD do their very best to accommodate your wishes.

On RCI's MTD, reservations may be recommended but are NOT required

Edited by negc

Please help educate me on Royal's MTD. When I've used the MTD on Carnival, you just arrive to the dining room for dinner whenever you would like and you are seated. Am I correct in that on Royal you have to schedule a time?

You can do it either way on RCI...reserve times or show up whenever you want. However, if you already know about what time you'd like to eat, I do recommend making the reservations.

On embarkation day the dining room manager will open his/her post about 1pm - you could stop by and see if there's any availability for reserved dining. Also, on another thread I saw someone post an email address for RCI's dining department. If you can get that email you might want to see if they can help. I'd include the info about your husband being diabetic. :)

We originally had doubts about the value of My Time Dining but now are vocal proponents. We can eat according to a schedule that may or may not coincide with the traditional dining times which often seem either too early (5:30) or too late (8:30), are able to get the same excellent wait staff, and, if we wish, simply walk up without a reservation and be seated (usually within five minutes). We are even able to add or subtract people to our table when necessary, so we can dine by ourselves or with a group of friends. The people in MTD do their very best to accommodate your wishes.

On RCI's MTD, reservations may be recommended but are NOT required

Thank you! I am definitely liking the idea of it. I can see why people have varying opinions on it...but with all of the things I have planned for us on the island, this is going to be great for us!!! Thank you so much!!!

On embarkation day the dining room manager will open his/her post about 1pm - you could stop by and see if there's any availability for reserved dining. Also, on another thread I saw someone post an email address for RCI's dining department. If you can get that email you might want to see if they can help. I'd include the info about your husband being diabetic. :)

Thank you! I will look into it. But I believe with the flexibility of the MY TIME, we'll be good. I just don't want him anchored to a late meal time. (he's very well-regulated and everything) I'm actually really psyched about it. This is his first cruise and I want it to go well because I keep telling him how great cruises are! hahahaa

prefer early. more time to eat more later :eek:

Ha, I was just going to post that and then I saw your comment as I scrolled! OP 272, you will find a myriad of places to eat on Oasis, so if you stay with the Traditional Main Seating at 6 pm, you may want something to nibble later in the evening. You'll have no trouble finding something to eat later, from Café Promenade to Sorrentos Pizza, to Windjammer before they close for the night, to even room service. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

You can do it either way on RCI...reserve times or show up whenever you want. However, if you already know about what time you'd like to eat, I do recommend making the reservations.

Thanks for the info..my daughter and I are contemplating booking the ExOS on the April 5th sailing and I really never know what time her and I will be ready to dine until about mid afternoon. We like the flexibility of being able to arrive to the dining room at a whim. :p

Now, when we sail the Quantum in 2015 we will do the traditional dining as I anticipate it may be a little more hectic on that ship and it would be easier all the way around to just do traditional dining times.

We have done both traditional and MTD. We prefer traditional because we like to eat as early as possible and it is nice to have the same table every night and have the same waiters. However if we did not want to eat so early we would do the MTD because we wouldn't want to wait until 8 or 8:30 to eat. That is too late for us. If we go on excursions we get back early so that we have plenty of time to get ready for dinner.

We have done both traditional and MTD. We prefer traditional because we like to eat as early as possible and it is nice to have the same table every night and have the same waiters. However if we did not want to eat so early we would do the MTD because we wouldn't want to wait until 8 or 8:30 to eat. That is too late for us. If we go on excursions we get back early so that we have plenty of time to get ready for dinner.

Do you realize that MTD usually opens at 5:30 pm and that you can get the same servers and table by asking? We don't want to eat that early but agree that 8 or 8:30 is usually too late for us, so MTD works perfectly for us. On almost all of our last several cruises we have been able to have the servers we requested.:)