Labadee, Falmouth

beshears

Very nice, love the enthusiasm and description.

I'll be there in 15 days 8 hours but who's counting.

I see you are also going to arrive on the same ship I was on when I landed there. That happens to be my favourite ship so far! I'm booked on Allure now, and waitlisted for Quantum so there is some tough competition. Freedom of the Seas, however, I would return to in a heartbeat! I loved it. Both my son and I shed a little tear when it came time to walk off.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Has anyone done the Zip Lining and River Tubing excursion through Royal Caribbean in Falmouth?

We have been on this excursion. I believe it was in 2/12, at the time they were still adding zips that were not completed yet. The zips that we did were great, and they had the double cables for safety. It could only be better by finishing the zip lines. The river was real low at the time and took a long time to go down (wear lots of sun block) and there was a lot of paddling with your hands to get yourself moving (not a lot of current). Although the river was real pretty it was a little long for me without much adventure. This might be different if the water levels are higher. It also included a local lunch that was actually good (I usually do not enjoy the lunches on excursions).

I have spent a week in Jamaica when I was kid and experienced most of what they had at the time (no zip lines) and only have two experiences that stood out thirty something years later. One was the Dunn's waterfalls and the other was rafting down the river on the bamboo rafts. First time we went to Jamaica with kids on a cruise we did Dunn's Waterfalls. At the time Falmouth was being built and RC was docking in Montego Bay and the Falls were far away, we booked private transportation and went. My 11 year old was 6 at the time and still talks about it and it is still one of her favorite excursions she has done (second to visiting an orphanage in Roatan and taking the kids to the grocery store). If you have never done Dunn's waterfalls you are missing out.

Good to hear, we're going there on our upcoming.

How long was the drive?

I can't remember exactly, but I'd say an hour to hour & half. We were enjoying the scenery so it didn't seem bad.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by CruisinW8

In January we visited both on the Grandeur of the Seas.

Falmouth, Jamaica

I had previously been to Jamaica about a decade ago and had a horrible time. Really did not like the country at all so I was a bit concerned about returning. I enjoyed Falmouth though. The post is completely separated from the country and everyone working their has to be approved so it is a much better experience in the port. I would never venture through the gate though, the area in the actual Falmouth is not that great looking. We didn't do any excursions either as none seemed interesting and those that did often had reviews commenting on feeling unsafe. I would really use this port as a day to do your port area shopping and enjoy Margaritaville and the ship. It's really nice to walk around and relax, but not outside the port itself. I have a full port tour video available:

Labadee, Haiti

I've been to Labadee twice before, last in 2007. It is completely different now and I loved it just as much. The place is huge and perfect for a relaxing beach day or to take a long walk. For excursions it is basically all water activities or the zipline and coaster. I have a tour for here as well:

You must be joking about the brown water:

April2013cruise153_zpsb46c5b3d.jpg

I agree. In fact, I like Labadee better than Coco Cay. I guess if everyone liked the same things, we'd all live in just one corner of the world. :eek:

In January we visited both on the Grandeur of the Seas.

Falmouth, Jamaica

I had previously been to Jamaica about a decade ago and had a horrible time. Really did not like the country at all so I was a bit concerned about returning. I enjoyed Falmouth though. The post is completely separated from the country and everyone working their has to be approved so it is a much better experience in the port. I would never venture through the gate though, the area in the actual Falmouth is not that great looking. We didn't do any excursions either as none seemed interesting and those that did often had reviews commenting on feeling unsafe. I would really use this port as a day to do your port area shopping and enjoy Margaritaville and the ship. It's really nice to walk around and relax, but not outside the port itself. I have a full port tour video available:

Labadee, Haiti

I've been to Labadee twice before, last in 2007. It is completely different now and I loved it just as much. The place is huge and perfect for a relaxing beach day or to take a long walk. For excursions it is basically all water activities or the zipline and coaster. I have a tour for here as well:

Thanks for the videos! It doesn't look like anyone in Labadee was in the water, I was hoping to use my mat and float around for the day

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Labadie is not my favorite beach by far (Magan's Bay and Orient Beach are better, for example) but it's fine. There are lots of trees for shade, washrooms are clean and easy to find, lunch is simple but agreeable.

The sharp rocks and rocky bottom are on the Adrenaline Beach side (see excellent maps and photo posted earlier). It's tempting to stop at that beach because it's the first you come to and there are lots of chairs. But the smooth bottom and peaceful water are in Columbus Cove (for those who didn't pay extra for cabanas and suites and such). This beach is fine for a dip, but it's crowded, small, and the water is oily-calm.

Toddlers and small kids would probably be fine at Columbus beach with supervision. However, there is a water-play area for little kids that I think would appeal to them more (this is not the slide - it's a very safe looking place with lots of gentle showers, spouts, etc.) This kiddies area is nearest Adrenaline Beach.

The tram is a small tractor that draws several trailers behind it (each trailer holds about 30 people). There is no cost for this, and it usually visits every stop, although recently, it stopped before the turn to Columbus and turned to go back to the dock area (so I had to walk the rest of the way to Columbus - not a big hardship). However, be aware that by about 2 p.m. the tram gets very crowded. When it arrives at Columbus, it's already full of people who got on earlier (kind of like getting on the elevator at floor 5 and going all the way to the top so you can eventually get to floor 2).

There is no advantage to buying souvenirs from the loud and aggressive vendors in the little huts on the hillside. The barn-like structure has the best quality crafts and the lower prices (even if you haggle with the hillside vendors).

Not my best beach day ever, but certainly enjoyable enough.

Not trying to disappoint but Labadee is terrible... rocky beaches, brownish-green water and is not really a "port" but a private part of haiti owned by Royal Carribbean, so everything is geared towards the cruise lines interests.

Was just in Labadee in Jan. was the best port! I was at Nellies Beach- beautiful clear water- some market place shops. Some entertainment- A very restful day on a beautiful beach. Lots of activities available for all, Clean restrooms. Nice barbecue lunch. The island has bars and if you have the drink package- all included. They also have some entertainment on the island.

Not sure what type of experience the above poster had, but having gone twice and soon a third time- we love Labadee. If you can, try to get a Cabana- they sell out quickly.

My DH and I stay on board in Jamaica and enjoy the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

This beach is fine for a dip, but it's crowded, small, and the water is oily-calm.

This sounds gross. What do you mean by oily-calm? Is the water really oily? I haven't been to Labadee in about 4 years but this I don't certainly don't remember :( Anyone else have a thought on this? Thank you.

We did the Mystic Mountain excursion in Falmouth on Celebrity...if RC offers it, it was great, DO IT! You go up to the top on a nice slow ski lift ride, take a "Jamaican Bobsled" roller coaster ride down and then up the mountain, then zip line down the mountain. So much fun and we were out all day!

Thanks so much for your post I have been wanting to do this excursion. We cancelled in Ocho Rios because our excursion began at 7:30am which was too early for us. How long did it take you to get there from Falmouth? We dock at 10am so timing will be much better for us this year.

Has anyone taken a tour to Rockland Bird Sanctuary or found dependable roundtrip transportation to Rockland Bird Sanctuary from Falmouth? Was it worth a visit. Looks like a unique and awesome experience, but maybe not.

Has anyone found a tour to Mystic Mountain with dependable roundtrip transportation from Falmouth that isn't with RCI? I see tickets available online for Mystic Mountain for a lot less than you would pay RCI but since it's an hour away & still need roundtrip transportation is it better to take the RCI tour? I will not be ziplining and might not bobsled. Just want the aerial tram, gardens & maybe swim.

Has anyone taken a tour to Rockland Bird Sanctuary or found dependable roundtrip transportation to Rockland Bird Sanctuary from Falmouth? Was it worth a visit. Looks like a unique and awesome experience, but maybe not.

Has anyone found a tour to Mystic Mountain with dependable roundtrip transportation from Falmouth that isn't with RCI? I see tickets available online for Mystic Mountain for a lot less than you would pay RCI but since it's an hour away & still need roundtrip transportation is it better to take the RCI tour? I will not be ziplining and might not bobsled. Just want the aerial tram, gardens & maybe swim.

We used Queen McBeam last spring to take us to Mystic Mountain...that will not help you much since she is in Ocho Rios but I can give you insight on mystic Mtn...my opinion only :)

The mountain itself was a nice place. If you are looking for very low key, the sky lift may be for you. We used it only to access to bobsled and then again to get to the zip lining. We traveled in May and it was VERY hot on the sky lift! It moves super slow and I actually think we got sunburned while on it. It mainly goes over trees but there were a couple of spots where you could see the ocean and port. I wish there had of been another way to get to the top of the mountain! The bobsled was fun and the zip lining was awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is a link to a company that provides RT bus transportation for 25 pp. You can then get the tickets for Mystic Mountain on your own and design it however you want. You can just get the ride up and back down the mountain and then you have the options for single or multiple trips on the coaster as well as the zip line option.

http://www.getyourguide.com/falmouth-l1266/falmouth-cruise-ship-port-transportation-to-ocho-rios-t16648/

This has been a fun thread to read. It is so interesting to see what one person hates and another one loves. :rolleyes:

We love Labadee and go out of our way to pick a cruise that stops there. We do the Barefoot beach cabana (either over water or hillside) and have enjoyed the entire experience. After reading these posts, we will seek out the coaster and the zip line.

The Falmouth posts have really been helpful. We have been there twice and one time only did the RCCL market and the other time RCCL and ESPN sponsored a 5k race through the town and it was incredible. Captain Johnny lead off on his motorbike and ESPN covered the race. We had two golds and one bronze for our age groups. That was on Allure spring break of 2012. This next trip, we will try some of the other suggestions from this thread.

We loved Falmouth but did a tour. As was pointed out anything worthwhile is about an hour drive each way, BUT, it's nice in my opinion to see the country as you drive. Also they drive on the left and for us Americans that's kind of a neat experience.

Jamaica is beautiful and it's a shame to stay on board. This year we're going to Blue Hole, google it and see how nice it is.

Last year we did river tubing on the White river and that was great. Some rapids, some gentle floating, incredibly lush vegetation and warm clean water. Worth the drive for sure. We're doing that one again.

I think Jamaica gets a bum rap. True the town is nothing special but as they say, "Get out there!"

I heard the river tubing is very mild and boring. You obviously like it. Can you tell me something about this excursion??

I heard the river tubing is very mild and boring. You obviously like it. Can you tell me something about this excursion??

I think it depends on the river, last year we did the White River through RCCL and it was fun. Rapids were about class 1-2, it was exciting enough for my boys then 8 and 11. It's also very beautiful with lush jungle all around. Water was warm and pleasant. We do white water rafting here in Colorado so we're not easily impressed.

Anyway I'm not sure I'd do it on my own, and I don't think teenagers would be very impressed, but my boys loved it and I enjoyed it also. It's a fun ride with some exciting parts and a nice way to spend 30 minutes or so.

I also loved Labadee. I chose the Western itinerary for this summer in part so we could return there

I booked Freedom on the Western just to visit labadee (and Grand Caymen) again, it will also be a first for Fallmouth. The last I was in Labadee was 2008 on Freedom, the pier wasn't finished yet and they didn't have the cabanas. We loved Barefoot beach, but we will be one point short of Diamond at that point and will likely not be in a suite so that prime location is no more. I am a little concerned the places we liked we will not have access to this time. I did think the beach on the Adrenaline Beach side were rock and too rough to enjoy the water.

I won't miss the tender lines though.

I booked Freedom on the Western just to visit labadee (and Grand Caymen) again, it will also be a first for Fallmouth. The last I was in Labadee was 2008 on Freedom, the pier wasn't finished yet and they didn't have the cabanas. We loved Barefoot beach, but we will be one point short of Diamond at that point and will likely not be in a suite so that prime location is no more. I am a little concerned the places we liked we will not have access to this time. I did think the beach on the Adrenaline Beach side were rock and too rough to enjoy the water.

I won't miss the tender lines though.

It was the same for us the last time we were there, Bill. The tender lines were among the longest I have ever seen! But don't feel bad about being one point short of Diamond. I don't think that would make a bit of difference. I believe Barefoot Beach is just for suites and above.

Labadee, and Falmouth are on the itinerary we are thinking of taking this spring. The other ports that are on this itinerary, we have been to.

If you have been to Labadee, or Falmouth, would you tell me (yes, I know this is your opinion) what there is to see/do there?

Falmouth - do the Red Stripe Beach excursion offered through the cruise line. Its secure beach with no vendors hassling you. Very nice day.

I think it depends on the river, last year we did the White River through RCCL and it was fun. Rapids were about class 1-2, it was exciting enough for my boys then 8 and 11. It's also very beautiful with lush jungle all around. Water was warm and pleasant. We do white water rafting here in Colorado so we're not easily impressed.

Anyway I'm not sure I'd do it on my own, and I don't think teenagers would be very impressed, but my boys loved it and I enjoyed it also. It's a fun ride with some exciting parts and a nice way to spend 30 minutes or so.

Thanks for responding back, it is helping me narrow my choices down:)

We were at Labadee 4 days ago. It was our 4th visit and last stop on our cruise. My DH commented that Columbus Cove on Labadee was the nicest beach we had visited. That was saying something since we visited 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman and Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

The water was warm and the sand was soft. You need to make sure you go to the swimming beaches. Look at the map below. The beaches on the top side of the peninsula are rocky and intended for sun bathing. [note the beach umbrella symbol] Those on the lower side are for swimming. [note the symbol for a swimmer]

Labadeemap_zps093a184f.png

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Now for Jamaica--I was there last week, too. Jamaica has many things to offer. However, it is not the place to just walk around the city. Figure out what you like to do and make plans.

We took the Royal Caribbean tour to Dunn's River Falls. If you have never done this --do it. It started to rain right before we got there [only lasted a short time] so there were no crowds. Some of the vendor kiosks were closed, too. That was a good thing.

It took us about an hour to get there. Our guide gave commentary and pointed out things as we drove.

This is a photo of one section of the falls. It is more than 600 feet long. Notice the guide in the blue shirt on the right. They help you navigate the falls. Also, see the wooden platform on the left. People that did not want to walk the falls can walk this pathway and follow your progress.

P3140058_zpsbf0db72c.jpg

Some sections are pretty steep. But the guides know where all the foot holds are. We did not have any trouble climbing. [we are not young :D] We often held hands with the other climbers. I know that sounds lame. But, it was more like you gave your hand to the person below you to help them up and the person above you did the same thing.

P3140059_zpsbc477b16.jpg

On the way back we made two stops. One was Columbus Park along Discovery Bay. This is where Columbus set foot on Jamaica in 1492. We ate at the outdoor restaurant. DH and I had jerk chicken and pork with some sort of fried bread. The chicken was great and the bread was EXCELLENT! I thought the pork was tough.

P3140069_zpsd0fc3fb4.jpg

Have fun in Jamaica and Labadee-- we did. :D

Adding that I like Labadee too. Always look forward to going there.

Please don't flame a poster for giving their opinion. After all, it is just a personal opinion and might not be the same as yours / mine or the original poster.

:)

"Like"!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk