Best area to stay in London after cruise.

karska

Of course a lot depends on one's budget, but I would say the most important factor would be to be within comfortable walking distance of the underground; sorry subway. London is a wonderful city but then I am a little biased. I am sure you will have a great time and a week is enough time to enjoy the city and maybe explore a little further afield. Whatever you decide enjoy.

We plan to stay in London far a week. Haven't been in years.

Suggestions for best location to be convenient to sites and shopping/markets.

Easy, Trafalgar Square/ Leicester Square where three underground stops are only a block or so away and Chinatown, Soho and museums are at your your doorstep.

I'd stay nearest to the sites you're most interested in seeing, with an eye towards proximity to an Underground station - if you plan on using it (highly recommended). No shortage of great hotels...

We have stayed in Leicester Square once, and twice near Buckingham Palace. Both locations were convenient, though Leicester Square perhaps a bit more so. However, Leicester Square was a bit of a zoo at night so keep that in mind if you're a light sleeper!

The public transit authority sells a cheap all-day ticket if you don't start riding until after rush hour ends (starting at 9:30, IIRC, and it's about 50% of the full-day ticket price). It's good all day and evening after that, and it's the best way around town as it's good for everything. Haven't checked recently but hope this is still accurate, as we'll be there in August.

What we'd do is walk to our first attraction of the day (picking something close by), and by the time we were done with that, it was time to jump on the tube and head off to the next stop.

This reminds me... Better find a place for us this August!

All the updated hotels on or near the square have installed very good windows and drapes. Our suite for the last 7 years has windows right on Leicester square

As you can see on my avatar. ( 1/2 price ticket booth)

We stay for 5 or 6 weeks and never hear a thing and sleep very well.

It is very exciting to watch all the stars arriving for the movie openings.

As for transportation, get an Oyster Card and travel for about half price. It can be returned after your last ride or kept for future visits.

Edited by orchestrapal

We were there for 5 days this last summer and stayed in the Westminster area as we wanted to do a lot of activities near there - Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Thames, Mews, etc Tate - we walked to all. Also walked to theater district, although a bit of a hike. Took cab back. Subway very convenient.

Suggest plan what you want to do and then select location. As a means of getting to London you might think about taking a day tour when you get off the ship. You can do a day trip from port that goes, for example to Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor Castle. They pick you up at the ship and then drop you in the evening at the hotel. Multiple itineraries to choose from.

Love London and always ready to go back. Enjoy.

What kind of budget do you intend, and what are your interests? Last time I used londontown.com, but that was a while ago--they do have a section on the best neighbourhoods and what they offer. We tend to go for good value, so in the past have stayed in Bloomsbury near the British Museum.

The 5 star Radisson Blu Hampshire, Leicester Square

4 star. Radisson Leicester,

These are NOT like Radissons in the US which tend to be not up to par.

This chain has the best points program going, Club Carlson. We stay for points for many days each year.

Deals in London are much better if you book directly with the hotels.

Edited by orchestrapal

If you have Marriott points, there are tons of options

In 2012 we stayed at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House and loved it.

In July we are staying at St. Ermin's Hotel, an Autograph Hotel, new to the Marriott group.

All for free!

London has become ridiculously expensive -- more expensive than Paris. A free hotel stay really helps.

A very nice consideration is just on Southbank. Southwark tube station (jubilee line) is very convenient and the river walk from the London Eye to Tower bridge (not to be confused with London bridge) then across to Tower of London is not to be missed. Shakespeare's globe theatre is on the route.

If you have Marriott points, there are tons of options

In 2012 we stayed at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House and loved it.

In July we are staying at St. Ermin's Hotel, an Autograph Hotel, new to the Marriott group.

All for free!

London has become ridiculously expensive -- more expensive than Paris. A free hotel stay really helps.

Another vote for Marriott Grosvenor Square......blocks to Green park and tube, Just off Knightsbridge shopping ( marks and sparks) quiet, classy very british

Ran into Princess Di there some years ago... walk to everywhere including shepherds market a street our of a Charles Dickens book. Down the street from the Cornaught and Claridges but at half the price.

St Ermins... next to Scotland Yard, hope they fixed it up,,stayed there in 1977

The 5 star Radisson Blu Hampshire, Leicester Square

Nice hotel - we stayed there our first visit to London. Definitely agree with the recommendation.

OT, we were just in Philly last weekend - great restaurant scene! Could have done without the freezing rain, though! :)

Nice hotel - we stayed there our first visit to London. Definitely agree with the recommendation.

OT, we were just in Philly last weekend - great restaurant scene! Could have done without the freezing rain, though! :)

Yes we do have a great restaurant scene and I'm sorry you had bad weather. We've had mostly very cold wet weather since mid-November. Highs this week predicted to only be in the low 20's.

The last time we were in London we stayed at Hotel 41, a boutique hotel near Buckingham Palace. I would recommend the Hop On Hop Off bus to get a great overview of London. There was a stop right near the hotel....a short block away. Hotel 41 is the #1 rated hotel in all of London on Trip Advisor.

When I'm asked "what is the best area" in London or New York -- or indeed in any major city -- my answer is there isn't one. It depends on what you think you'll be doing most, but in NY or London there's also easy public transportation.

We usually like to stay in South Kent but in June we'll be at Marriott's St. Ermin's Hotel.

Mura

Thanks everyone for helpful info. We're looking at So Kensington area now, near the tube. The Ampersand was a great suggestion.

We have stayed at the Ampersand a couple of times. I know you will love the location, hotel rooms and the amazing service! My husband just came home last night and said a friend he recommended it to has just come home from a very long trip and said his stay at The Ampersand was a highlight.

Have a great time!

Another vote for Marriott Grosvenor Square......blocks to Green park and tube, Just off Knightsbridge shopping ( marks and sparks) quiet, classy very british

Ran into Princess Di there some years ago... walk to everywhere including shepherds market a street our of a Charles Dickens book. Down the street from the Cornaught and Claridges but at half the price.

St Ermins... next to Scotland Yard, hope they fixed it up,,stayed there in 1977

Hate to disagree but I think you are confusing Oxford Street shops, 200 yards, near Grosvenor Square to those in Knightsbridge about 3 miles away.

Secondly wherever we go we set our priorities whether it be shopping, theatre or museums and plan accordingly. You have had some excellent suggestions of hotels but we choose based on the above criteria.

Brian

When I'm asked "what is the best area" in London or New York -- or indeed in any major city -- my answer is there isn't one. It depends on what you think you'll be doing most, but in NY or London there's also easy public transportation.

We usually like to stay in South Kent but in June we'll be at Marriott's St. Ermin's Hotel.

Mura

South Kent is about sixty miles away from London

Do you mean South Kensington?