Sushi Quality?

Nodales

I am a huge sushi lover and was very excited to hear sushi is offered in the buffet on the Volendam.

I have previously sailed three times with Princess but found their sushi was very poor. No real raw fish, it was always smoked salmon... Does anyone know if HAL's sushi is "real" sushi? I'm mostly hoping for legit salmon rolls and nigiri.

I'm from Vancouver and the sushi quality here is fairly high so I know I am spoiled at home as far as sushi quality goes... But I would love to enjoy some real sushi on our Alaska cruise this summer!

HAL has nothing very 'excellent' any more. got to upgrade to oceania, azamara, or crystal for that 'stuff.' 'strimp' is about as close as it comes these days on hal. your local supermarket does better in the 'sushi' department, sad to say.

Much of the highest quality Sushi and Sashimi requires the highest quality fresh seafood which is something that does not exist on HAL. Most of the fish products are shipped, frozen, to the vessels (an exception can be some fresh taken aboard at certain ports). When you try to make sushi with substandard or frozen ingredients you will always get substandard sushi.

We found some of the Sushi on HAL a nice change...but nothing we would ever consider paying for on land.

Hank

All sushi sold in USA was previously frozen to kill parasites. It is flash frozen when caught , Except only tuna can sometimes be sold fresh. It is against the law to sell it fresh in USA it has to have previously been frozen, (for sushi that is)

Edited by wilsonqbc

All sushi sold in USA was previously frozen to kill parasites. It is flash frozen when caught , Except only tuna can sometimes be sold fresh. It is against the law to sell it fresh in USA it has to have previously been frozen, (for sushi that is)

This isn't true. Fish is kept on ice, but the flash freezing is a recommendation. It is not followed in many places (Hawaii for instance where our fish is bought at auction the day it's caught and consumed in restaurants).

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashimi-info/sushi-grade-fish/

I am a huge sushi lover and was very excited to hear sushi is offered in the buffet on the Volendam.

I have previously sailed three times with Princess but found their sushi was very poor. No real raw fish, it was always smoked salmon... Does anyone know if HAL's sushi is "real" sushi? I'm mostly hoping for legit salmon rolls and nigiri.

I'm from Vancouver and the sushi quality here is fairly high so I know I am spoiled at home as far as sushi quality goes... But I would love to enjoy some real sushi on our Alaska cruise this summer!

Essentially sushi is raw fish surrounded by cold rice! :eek: What is there is love with that concoction? :confused:

... But I would love to enjoy some real sushi on our Alaska cruise this summer!

I love sushi too...but the sushi served in Lido is pretty awful IMO. It's mostly rice.

If you ever get the chance to sail on Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam, then you can try the sushi in Tamarind, one of their 2 specialty restaurants. That sushi is quite good, as is almost everything else I've ever had at Tamarind. :)

As many of the posters in this thread are, I am a sushi lover too. The choices are indeed extremely limited to mainly veggie maki sushi ... they usually have some toro or sake. However, on the world cruises, they have sashimi and it is very good.

I find the quality of maki sushi ok so that i tend to eat it once or twice a week on a HAL cruise for lunch.

harry

I agree that the Lido sushi isn't worth it, but at Eurodam's Tamarind I had Nigiri sushi that was very good. I had tuna, salmon and unagi.

sushi_zps42e58875.jpg

I'm measuring against the following. The best Nigiri sushi I ever had was at Hane Sushi in San Diego. Next best was Bar Masa in Las Vegas. Close was Nobu, also in Las Vegas. I have also had sushi at Morimoto in Philadelphia as well as at various places near Chicago. The Tamarind sushi compared favorably to our best local sushi restaurant, Sushi House and was "better" to my taste than at Morimoto.

If you're in San Diego give Hane Sushi a try.

Edited by shrimp56

I agree that the Lido sushi isn't worth it, but at Eurodam's Tamarind I had Nigiri sushi that was very good. I had tuna, salmon and unagi.

I'm measuring against the following. The best Nigiri sushi I ever had was at Hane Sushi in San Diego. Next best was Bar Masa in Las Vegas. Close was Nobu, also in Las Vegas. I have also had sushi at Morimoto in Philadelphia as well as at various places near Chicago. The Tamarind sushi compared favorably to our best local sushi restaurant, Sushi House and was "better" to my taste than at Morimoto.

If you're in San Diego give Hane Sushi a try.

You can find excellent sushi on a cruise ship ... Crystal ... while I mentioned earlier in thread that I eat the HAL sushi but that it is simple fare ... Crystal's Silk Road restaurant is equal to any sushi restaurant I have been to around the world.

harry