Skipping formal night?

theloo

We will be on the Statendam in Alaska this summer. We are thinking of skipping formal night(s) because we don't want to pack all that extra clothing. If we don't bring formal attire, what are our dining options? The Lido & specialty restaurants?

We will be on the Statendam in Alaska this summer. We are thinking of skipping formal night(s) because we don't want to pack all that extra clothing. If we don't bring formal attire, what are our dining options? The Lido & specialty restaurants?

There is a dress code for the Pinnacle Grill, so it looks like your options will be the Lido. If you want to bring a dress shirt and slacks, you may be fine for the Canaletto, but the MDR would be out.

On one of my Caribbean cruises, we didn't pack formal wear and either ate in the Lido or had a late lunch at the taco bar or terrace grill on the formal nights. Worked very well for us.

But you don't have to pack "formal attire." On my most recent cruise, I pack a really nice knit black dress with a lace overlay (no wrinkles!) and a pink & black knit party dress with a hot pink silk wrap. The men in my group wore blazers and slacks. It was perfectly acceptable.

I agree with previous post- if you want to eat in the Dining Room, very little formal wear is needed. The dress code has slipped to a very minimal level. Just bring something halfway decent and you'll be fine. Lots of people on your cruise will be doing the same thing. They barely enforce anything these days and I wouldn't be surprised if they do away with formal nights entirely in the future.

And by the way-- you don't always get the same food in the Lido. They often cheap out in the cafeteria, such as substituting bay shrimp for "jumbo" shrimp (which aren't all that jumbo anymore). If you want the lobster, you may have to eat in the MDR, or be a hermit in your cabin with room service.

Lido or room service. RSVP offers the full dining room menu.

What is "RSVP"?

Formalwear for me would be okay, but my husband doesn't own a sport jacket. We'd have to bring his suit, dress shirt and dress shoes. And hang it up/pack it carefully. I think we'll probably end up at the Lido and hope it's not too crowded.

What is "RSVP"?

Formalwear for me would be okay, but my husband doesn't own a sport jacket. We'd have to bring his suit, dress shirt and dress shoes. And hang it up/pack it carefully. I think we'll probably end up at the Lido and hope it's not too crowded.

Autocorrect made my RS (room service) into RSVP. Go figure!

We skipped formal nights on our last Oosterdam cruise for the reasons you cited and also our grandsons were with us. Just go the Lido on one of the formal nights and Canaletto the other. Canaletto is nothing special but a diversion from the MDR.

Avoid room service on the Oosterdam-it is abysmal. Otherwise one of our favorite ships.

Gary

What is "RSVP"?

Some here have observed that shorter HAL cruises, and Alaska cruises in particular, can be less dressy than the longer itineraries. A pair of khakis, a dress shirt and a tie might work for your husband. These items won't take up a lot of extra room in the suitcase. And, if they insist on a jacket at the door of the MDR, you always have the option of the Lido.

On formal(wear) nights, the dining options are Lido, Canaletto & Room Service! ;)

There is a dress code for the Pinnacle Grill, so it looks like your options will be the Lido. If you want to bring a dress shirt and slacks, you may be fine for the Canaletto, but the MDR would be out.

It is not a requirement to wear a dress shirt & slacks in the Canaletto on formal nights! ;) It is the same casual dress that would be good to wear in the Lido!

What is "RSVP"?

Your husband could order a rental tuxedo and shoes from Cruiseline Formal Wear on line. It will be delivered to your cabin when you embark and be picked up at the end of the cruise. Costs about $110 for the duration. Cheaper than buying a suit, and you don't have to pack anything. I've done it 3 or 4 times.

Lido or room service. RSVP offers the full dining room menu.[/quote

To expand on this suggestion:

You can dine in your cabin (using room service) and order off of the main dining room menu (which is normally very good on formal nights). You have to call and order during a set time (normally the first hour the main dining room is open), but call ahead of time and verify the rules. You can have your dinner delivered at anytime you want.

A good way to get the superior menu of the formal night without having dress up!

DaveOKC

I had to smile when I read the OP's comment about packing. My Dad and I travelled together for many years after my Mom passed away. On a HAL Panama Canal cruise our two top was next to a four top of very friendly people. (This was in the fixed dining days, prior to any specialty restaurants.) We missed them one night because they had booked a very long shore excursion. The next night they missed us because it was formal night and Dad and I ate in the Lido. After that, all of us would go to the Lido for formal nights so we could continue our good conversations!

On formal nights my husband wears a black tee shirt, black slacks and a black suit coat and he always looks very nice. He gave up ties about 5 cruises ago! He is much more comfortable. I gave up dresses, too, and now wear black slacks with a sparkly, fancy top and heels. These are easy to pack. Have fun!

Some here have observed that shorter HAL cruises, and Alaska cruises in particular, can be less dressy than the longer itineraries. A pair of khakis, a dress shirt and a tie might work for your husband. These items won't take up a lot of extra room in the suitcase. And, if they insist on a jacket at the door of the MDR, you always have the option of the Lido.

We have seen men turned away from the MDR if they did not have a jacket. We have also seen them seated. It is inconsistent so know you are taking a chance you won't be seated if DH does not wear a jacket and tie. If you don't want to pack his jacket, let him wear it traveling.

We have seen men turned away from the MDR if they did not have a jacket. We have also seen them seated. It is inconsistent so know you are taking a chance you won't be seated if DH does not wear a jacket and tie. If you don't want to pack his jacket, let him wear it traveling.

Can you just clarify ... do you mean only on formal night(s)? We still want to eat in the MDR on other nights, and were planning on just slacks and button down shirt.

Can you just clarify ... do you mean only on formal night(s)? We still want to eat in the MDR on other nights, and were planning on just slacks and button down shirt.

On smart casual nights you only need to wear slacks and a buttoned down shirt or a golf shirt.

On formal nights you may get turned away from the main dining room and Pinnacle if you do not wear a suite and tie or a jacket with a tie.