RCI's Evian water, just a thought to help sell more onboard?

Back to the original topic, why don't they board 2 sizes of water.... my guess is storage, cost, and accounting. It's much easier to buy and store on item than multiple items. Generally larger quantities are cheaper per unit (oz. etc). So likely people would buy liters as RCCL would sell them at a cheaper per oz. price. The best thing to do is bring a smaller reusable bottle to take onto shore.

Yes, Switzerland is extremely tightly regulated. Evian though is in France.

I am jesting a bit,

France does monitor quality extremely closely as well, particularly after the Perrier incident a few years ago. But I just cant get out of my mind the 'holes in the ground' toilets I have seen in France, and the skiers who need to relieve themselves at the site of the pistes :eek:.

I will say that all bottled water, 'town' or mineral is of good quality, and I would actually say it's safer now than it has been for years.

I do jest slightly as I work for Evians biggest competitor :)

Well, I was calling you out in a nice way;) you would either have to admit that Switzerland is some kind of back woods, or you could fess up to a little hyperbole;)

Those small one off, camp type toilets (or even animal waste) don't get enough "business" to affect water very far away from the "source". Its when the waste is multiplied, such as a large resort, big city or residential development that the land can longer "naturally" clean the waste. But your point that really all these bottled waters are really no more "pure" than the tap they come from is well taken. And it would behoove us all to be more mindful of what we put in the ground and in the water:D

Now I have to go google which Swiss water you work for:p

Well, I was calling you out in a nice way;) you would either have to admit that Switzerland is some kind of back woods, or you could fess up to a little hyperbole;)

Those small one off, camp type toilets (or even animal waste) don't get enough "business" to affect water very far away from the "source". Its when the waste is multiplied, such as a large resort, big city or residential development that the land can longer "naturally" clean the waste. But your point that really all these bottled waters are really no more "pure" than the tap they come from is well taken. And it would behoove us all to be more mindful of what we put in the ground and in the water:D

Now I have to go google which Swiss water you work for:p

Actually animal waste runoff can and has caused some tragic events to happen that led to the loss of life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkerton_Tragedy

Do you happen to remember the cost of a large bottle of San Pellegrino?

I had a couple of bottles in chops and Giovanni's on serenade a couple of months back.

As I recall they were $8 plus gratuity which is about a buck more than I pay at a typical restaurant back home. But it wasn't exorbitant.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

They used to have small bottles of Evian too.

On the Navigator in the Med they also had a non premium water which was offered for dinner in the MDR (less than 3 Dollars plus 15%). Not sure whether they offer this for the US departures too. I assume that in Europe many people complained about the price of Evian and San Pellegrino.

Actually San Pellegrino is a regluar bottled water in Italy and nothing really special. It´s a bit pricer but far away from those 8 Dollars!! Same with Evian (which I don´t like at all). There´s nothing "premium" about both. And I never quite understood why RCI is shipping that stuff all around the world to sell it for premium prices.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

I've never felt the 1L were too big. We drink a lot of water. I guess this is another point in DH's direction. The large bottles fit just fine in my purse, along with many other things. :p He complains is too large, until he needs something.

IMO it isn't overly large, it still passes the allowed in most museums(that allow bags) test

Yes, we also like the 1L bottles. We don't use them at home, but we do on a cruise ... we make an extra effort to drink water while on vacation, and the large bottles help us do that.

They're no problem for me to carry, either ... Mr Chew carries the backpack!

• 1 month later...

I think it helps to know the size to help justify the price that is paid for the package

Good point, but for what RCI charges, there is little to no justification for their prices. We're talking about WATER here.........

I find it amusing that people complain about what a gallon of gas costs, but will pay outrageous, extortion pricing for WATER. Maybe I should start bottling my tap water at home and shipping it around the country....I could make quite a bit that way!

After reading this article, I'm still not believing in the bottled water hype - I have better ways, IMHO, to spend my money.....

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1209-10.htm

I cannot believe I forgot that I read this thread.

We boarded Freedom on the 26th and I was shocked to find our 24 bottle package was 1L bottles. That was supposed to be for DS.

DH and I each had the Replenish package for lattes and water, and we were absolutely floating in water by the end.

Seeing the date of this thread, though, it was before we left on the cruise, so I read it then. In my defense, I was down for the count with that awful virus thing going around in January, until around the 24th. So my memory isn't so great, apart from sitting in the hotel room, moaning and groaning in misery LOL.

FWIW, it shows that there (and it's sort of good to know it said that BEFORE we left, because I was wondering), but it does NOT show it as you're ordering. So you really have to get your search terms right and hope you've searched fully, because the orderform doesn't tell you.

AND when you go to the Guest Services desk to say "you guys need to tell us what size the bottles are when ordering", they might (as they did with us) act SHOCKED that it's 1L bottles...and tell you it's supposed to be 750mL bottles.

But it turns out I knew it would be 1L before we embarked...I just had too much fuzz in my brain to remember. Not sure if I'm happy or sad about that. Oh well!