Trying to beat the snow tomorrow in Baltimore

I'm not sure on the port where the Grandeur is docking but we have always gotten to the ports of New Orleans and Galveston while the previous cruisers are disembarking. We were allowed inside the terminal and just sat, waited and made new friends with the people around us.

Yes, there is a separate waiting area in Baltimore too. I don't think Baltimore is expecting very much snow but I would also get there early and wait.

3-6 inches are forecast and living in Baltimore that's enough to bring the city to a crawl unfortunately.

Thanks. They are only saying 3-5, but our Granddaughter is taking us to the port, just worried about her drive back.

This is not speaking from experience, but just what I would do. I would get to the port on the early side and just hang out (around 9:30-10AM). You probably won't be allowed on the ship until 11ish, but I would bet you can find somewhere indoors to read a book and wait. That way your granddaughter can get home before it gets too bad. Supposed to be a long-duration snow event, so shouldn't be too bad until later as the snow builds. Just what I would do.

Good luck!

How early can you arrive at the cruise terminal? If they are still getting folks off the ship can we just hang out?

Get there as early as possible and just hang out. Especially with your granddaughter driving. No need for unnecessary stress. It's vacation!

I've gotten to the port as early as 9:15. Sometimes have had to wait a couple minutes to drop off luggage. Terminal is open and screening starts about 9:15-9:30. Boarding, assuming no problems from the previous cruise, starts around 10:30 with the windjammer opening at 11.

I used to live in Baltimore and a few flakes of snow can cause multiple accidents, and traffic jams all over the area.

The news media really hypes any type of weather event and everyone runs out to buy milk, bread and toilet paper. You would think they were going to be house bound for a month instead of a few hours.

So the take away is, get there early as others have said and let your grandaughter get home before the mayhem sets in.

I used to live in Baltimore and a few flakes of snow can cause multiple accidents, and traffic jams all over the area.

The news media really hypes any type of weather event and everyone runs out to buy milk, bread and toilet paper. You would think they were going to be house bound for a month instead of a few hours.

So the take away is, get there early as others have said and let your grandaughter get home before the mayhem sets in.

Hey there Judy! How are you?

:)

Annette~

Hey there Judy! How are you?

:)

Annette~

Hi Annette, long time no 'see'. Hope you have been well. Surprised our paths have not crossed again. Maybe one day we'll sail together again. Can't believe it's been so long since our Radiance cruise.

Edited by jebl

How early can you arrive at the cruise terminal? If they are still getting folks off the ship can we just hang out?

back in September we arrived just before 9 and had to wait about 45 minutes before they let us in line to drop off luggage and pay for parking. so if by "hang out" you mean standing next to you car just a hundred feet from your home for the next week longingly let frigidly, go for it. alternately you can give dirty looks to the people still coming down the ramp. your choice. heheheh

even so they still began boarding promptly at 1030.

When I sailed on Enchantment from Baltimore in March I had to sit in my car waiting to drop off my luggage for about 30 minutes (that was around 9:30, I think) in clear weather. People were still disembarking. When we returned to Baltimore, it was snowing and I had to clear my car to drive home. The parking lot had been plowed and it was easy to get out of the port, but the drive home was miserable. There's just something unsettling about snow on the decks of a cruiseship!

WBOC TV is now predicting near blizzard conditions, starting around 11 AM. Get there early so your granddaughter can get home before it gets really bad!

Edited by Mystaken

I have lived in the Baltimore area for the past 30 years; 3-6 inches will not **** the roads down. It says it will start around 10 am so you should be fine. Where are you leaving from?

Except it will be more than 3-6 more than likely. Local forecasts aren't really sharing what models have been showing all day which is an increase in precip amounts. Although morning should be okay, I wouldn't want to be out after noon. In fact, I'm planning on taking the day off tomorrow, but hoping the Fed Gov shuts down which they might due to effects on mass transit. Those getting off in the am and boarding early won't have any issues, but those that cut it close by arriving after 1-2 need to rethink their plans.

I dunno. AA cty has already closed the schools and Ft Meade has issued it's standard warning and we duly expect to be told to stay home. The height of the storm is supposed to be in the middle of debarking and turnover. It may delay everything by hours. Showing up early may result in being stuck altogether

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app