on board account question

lyban

When do I pay my onboard account?

If the last night/day is the office very busy?

Can I just phone up now before leaving and for example put 500. on it from my Amex.

Would they just refund me what I have not spent or is that a silly idea.

What do most people here do?

Thanks

Most people link the account to a credit card. You can look at your account on you stateroom tv on most ships. They leave a paper copy under your door on the last night (just like most hotels). If everything is good, you don't need to do anything, you just leave.

You can go to guest services if you need to adjust something, or to pay in cash, get a refund, etc... But I avoid that at all costs, as it's usually quite busy with a lot of people nickel and diming the cruise line and complaining incessantly.

When do I pay my onboard account?

If the last night/day is the office very busy?

Can I just phone up now before leaving and for example put 500. on it from my Amex.

Would they just refund me what I have not spent or is that a silly idea.

What do most people here do?

Thanks

The last night is typically busier than other nights.

You can put $500 from your credit card now if you like, however you will still need to go to Guest Services on the last night and get your refund.

If you are prepared to use your credit card to spend the $500, what not just secure the account with that credit card, and not have to visit Guest Services at all?

Thanks.

I will bring card with me

Yes, definitely bring your card. When we were checking in on the Explorer a few months ago, two different couples ahead of us in line didn't bring their card (or any card), and it caused quite the hassle. I think they had to go back home and get it...

Just mentioning it here in case others think they don't need a card - I was surprised when people thought they didn't. But, as I thought about it more, I guess it makes sense for people to think they don't need a card because they already linked it online and bring cash for ports...

As other posters have said, RCI need to swipe/run it at checkin at the pier.

Happy cruising!

Guest maddycat
Yes, definitely bring your card. When we were checking in on the Explorer a few months ago, two different couples ahead of us in line didn't bring their card (or any card), and it caused quite the hassle. I think they had to go back home and get it...

Just mentioning it here in case others think they don't need a card - I was surprised when people thought they didn't. But, as I thought about it more, I guess it makes sense for people to think they don't need a card because they already linked it online and bring cash for ports...

As other posters have said, RCI need to swipe/run it at checkin at the pier.

Happy cruising!

That is amazing. I'm always concerned that there will be an emergency of some kind and I will need a credit card with a high credit limit to see me through. We also always buy travel insurance. I guess that I'm just a worrier.

I've always paid with a credit card but would like to settle up with cash. It's a hassle to go to GS and I don't want to go there all the time to deposit money all the time. so has anyone had any trouble securing with a card but then Settling with cash on the last night? I'm just afraid I would be double charged.

Edited by nednrom

I've always paid with a credit card but would like to settle up with cash. It's a hassle to go to GS and I don't want to go there all the time to deposit money all the time. so has anyone had any trouble securing with a card but then Settling with cash on the last night? I'm just afraid I would be double charged.

I wouldn't bother. Who wants to end vacation dealing with the line? Enjoy the grace period of the card, pay it off when your statement comes. No interest charged, you may be earning rewards or cash back with your card anyways. If you find a discrepancy on the bill later you can dispute with a cc. With cash good luck.

I imagine what you want to do can be done, just sounds like a hassle.

You can, but you will waste some time standing in line the last night. Another option is to make an advance "payment" to your cc before you leave. Estimate what you're going to spend, $500, $1,000, and pay that amount. Then the credit will cancel out the charge at the end of the cruise.

I guess the only time this wouldn't work is if you're carrying a balance on the card with a promotional rate and don't want to inadvertently "bury" any charges underneath it. Since all payments are applied to lowest rate balances first, sometimes people get burned by making a modest charge that then gets buried behind a large, low interest balance, and accrues huge interest until the larger balance is paid off.

If you're going to pay with cash, then choose a cash type account, don't even give them a CC. That would avoid your worry about being double charged.

Yes you can go to GS and pay your account balance at the end of the cruise if you want to be bothered. We also bring a credit card with a large credit limit and not foreign transaction fees for emergencies and we also buy travel insurance. We have had to use the insurance once and still had to pay the balance at time of service and then submit a claim to the insurance.