lack of Silhouette reviews

Seayalater

I don't know anything about holding reviews, but I can tell you that silhouette is a fantastic ship and so far my favorite of the six X ships I've been on. After a 15 day cruise, I could not think of one negative thing to put up my comment card

If you want to know anything specific, please ask

We were on the Jan 5, 2014 Eastern Caribbean sailing and were very pleased. This ship has the most friendly and accommodating staff we have encountered on any S-class ship (sailed on all except Solstice), and this includes the Captain who is very funny and interacts with the passengers through various activities. The only slight negative was our MDR wait staff which never really did get it together but did improve slightly toward the end of the trip. Overall a great ship!

We sailed the Med on Silhouette this past November, did the TA on her in December 2012, and will be sailing her again this March. She is a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew and very entertaining Captain. No complaints here, we would not hesitate to sail her again.

sailed her december 15...not my favorite cruise but that was partly due to some inclement weather we had...no fault of celebrity. however i did not feel that the food in the MDR was as good as it's been in the past...perhaps because the table next to us was ALWAYS served first and ours always ended up being served cold to luke warm? husband is okay with luke warm food, but i am not. even at home if my food is "hot" chances are i will still put it in the micro for a few seconds. so our wait staff was okay but not as good as our wait staff on the reflection. cabin stewards not as visible as they have been in the past, got our in room breakfast order wrong a couple times. think i will just go to the buffet from now on. had a bar server really turn a cold shoulder on me and refuse to bring a drink she had perviously brought me in the beginning of the cruise, all because i asked her to replace a drink she accidentally got wrong in al baccio one day. no biggie, i just asked her to fix it and man she did not like that. her response made it seem like she was trying to pin me as getting my order wrong when i knew what i was ordering, she just brought me the wrong drink but didn't want to be at fault. all i did was ask her to bring me a white chocolate mocha instead of the chocolate mocha she mistakenly brought and she gave me attitude the rest of the cruise. i made sure to write her name on my comment card. if you come across her, her name is MIMY, and out of all my celebrity cruises i had never come across someone who so blatantly showed her distaste for serving me. from then on i didn't order from her and just went to get my own drink at dinner myself. never experienced that on any cruise before.

martini bar servers were not as entertaining this time aside from alin who was a character, but his coworkers seemed less than enthused. the girls in the molecular bar, suzana and jelena, are wonderful but run ragged. they weren't as busy on the european cruises compared to ours (first caribbean for the season) so they were definitely overworked.

we've had better cruises, but that's not to say this was a "bad" cruise -- we haven't had one of those, but it wasn't one of our favorites. i think silhouette may be my least favorite ship in terms of decor, however, but i have yet to sail the equinox. i'll know which is my favorite on march 14 :)

Edited by CruisingTheWaves

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I just typed a very long response and somewhat of a review...it didn't post...:eek: I'm too tired to write it all again tonight. I'll try again tomorrow. I have no idea what happened to my post.:confused:

I will say, it was all positive.

This is why you type it up in Word and then copy & paste it on here! ;)

I don't know anything about holding reviews, but I can tell you that silhouette is a fantastic ship and so far my favorite of the six X ships I've been on. After a 15 day cruise, I could not think of one negative thing to put up my comment card

If you want to know anything specific, please ask

You must have forgotten about no Mexican Train games in the in the buffet...:D

Where did you play Mexican train at if not in a back corner of the buffet area?

We had a regular table from 10AM to Noon in the not-being-used-at-that-time Q sine, but so did some bridge players who complained that the dominoes were TOO LOUD on the table. :eek: tsk tsk :rolleyes:

Where did you play Mexican train at if not in a back corner of the buffet area?

We had a regular table from 10AM to Noon in the not-being-used-at-that-time Qsine, but so did some bridge players who complained that the dominoes were TOO LOUD on the table. :eek: tsk tsk :rolleyes:

The buffet tables were usable after the lunch rush calmed down, the staff was just concerned that tables might be needed for people eating lunch.

Edited by teecee60

How nice they let you go play in Qsine. I figured it would be all set up for dining.

It certainly is a different type of restaurant. We tried it on the Millenium and none of the 4 of us cared for it. Guess it just wasn't our thing and we did not think it was worth the extra $$$.

Hopefully, we will try the Lawn Club Grill on our upcoming Silhouette cruise.

Okay, I'm going to attempt this again.....from memory.:confused:

We sailed on the Silhouette in September after a pre-cruise tour. Our cruise was Eastern med and Greek Isles...fantastic itinerary. We had only sailed once prior to this and it was on Azamara, which we both absolutely loved. We booked this cruise because of the itinerary and the 1 2 3 and go promo. I had every intention of coming back and writing a trip report with pictures but a couple weeks after we were home, we had another vacation planned so we were gone an additional two weeks. We got home and it seemed like the holidays approached too quickly. I am embarrassed that I did not do my trip report, because so many cc people answered many questions that I had before we cruised. I finally posted a lot of pictures and made comments on my Facebook page but when I sent the link to a couple of friends, I realized that you could see my full name beside my pictures so I won't be posting them here (as I had planned)...sorry for that. It's a privacy thing with me.

I've read about people being served cold food in the MDR, not being able to get a drink readily, etc.

We ate most dinners in the MDR and never had a problem with cold food or poor service. We did select dining since we didn't want to be assigned a dining time or sit with people we didn't know. There were times we also ate with someone from our cruise tour and that was by choice. We thought the food was very good, but if you compare it to Azamara, it wasn't as good. I don't mean that as a negative...just a fact. We also ate one night in Murano and Tuscan Grille. We really liked the Murano...food was wonderful. I wasn't as happy with the Tuscan Grille..everyone states their steak is "the best"...I'm not in agreement. I had the ribeye but was not impressed....maybe it's because we have excellent beef here...or maybe I just happened to get a bad steak that night. DH was very happy with his filet. We also ate lunch at Bistro on Five one day and really enjoyed it....it's well worth the upcharge.

We did not really visit all the bars. Went to Quasar one night...and actually, that was enough. It was very loud in there and normally we were out and about everyday except for sea days so I'm sure being tired made us less tolerable of the loud music. We did not do any of the shows...seemed like they started when we were eating and we didn't stay up for the later shows. Some mornings we had to get up by 5:00 to meet our group by 7:00 for private excursions. Life in the fast lane....LOL

We would normally visit the Ensemble Lounge before dinner, after dinner, or both. A lot of times that's where we would run into people from our tour. The service was excellent and we never had a problem waiting to get a drink. The entertainment there wasn't the best and a couple times too loud so we would return to our stateroom and sit on our balcony and have a nightcap. We did have the drink package as part of the promo and the bartenders were good about serving you beer, unopened so we could take it back to the room. If you do this, remember the caps aren't twist off like they are in the states. Take an opener....luckily we had bought some type of magnet in Rome that was also a bottle opener so no problem for us.;)

After our excursions, we would normally go up to the Sunset bar for a drink or 2 and to mingle with some roll call people and our tour people. It was nice to sit and relax and enjoy sailing away from each port we stopped at. Again, never a problem getting served and it was normally very busy up there...weather was perfect.:D

We were mid ship, on the hump, port side and I thought the location was perfect and close to pretty much everything we needed. We were 2 decks above the smoking section on deck 5 and never once had a problem with smoke filtering up. Luckily there is no cigar smoking allowed there because that is one thing I can't tolerate, nor can my husband.

We only ventured around the ship once or twice and that was on sea days. Being on a port intensive cruise, you don't always have time to enjoy all the options on a ship that size. For us, it seemed very big compared to Azamara, and it is.

The ship is very clean and I was always seeing the crew cleaning and polishing. It is a very pretty ship, but my taste differs from the modern interior of the ship...that's me though and certainly not meant to be a negative comment. I prefer the more traditional, elegant interiors.

A couple things I will note here, is the fact our bed skirt had stains on it and did not look clean when we checked in our room. I asked our attendant to change it...no problem. I also noticed the carpeting in the room was soiled in spots...obviously they do not clean the carpeting in between guests. Someone had posted they did but I don't know how they would have time. I didn't complain, just made sure I wore my slippers at all times in the room. Those were only minor things and I really can't say I have any major complaints at all. The balcony was adequate and the chairs were comfortable so no issue there. Fortunately, we had nice neighbors on each side of us...sometimes we would converse a little and we were all around the same age. The only noise issues we had were people letting their doors slam shut...I was even guilty of this a few times myself. I learned to hold the door until it shut instead of just letting it slam shut.

I used the spa one day and that was for a polish change on my nails....this was the biggest turn off of the entire cruise. The nail technician was less than courteous, almost to the point of being rude. :mad: I won't go into detail here but that was the first time I've ever been treated like that when you're paying for someone's service. I don't know if she was having a bad day or not...but when you're working you need to put your personal feelings aside and treat the customer with some respect. Needless to say, I did not tip her. From what I've read, the people who work in the spa are not employees of Celebrity so that is not a reflection on Celebrity. I wondered if anyone else had issues with spa employees.

So, that ends my quick little review and again, I'm sorry I did not get this done sooner. All in all, our experience was a very good one and we would definitely sail on the Silhouette again.:D

Edited by midwestchick

CathyCruises:

You are most kind to offer your help with Silhouette questions! The hubby and I will be on Silhouette's 2/23 Western Caribbean cruise for our 20th wedding anniversary. We got the Classic Beverage package as our 1-2-3 deal. Best to go ahead and upgrade that plan to the Premium Beverage package? Also--has anyone done the "order alcohol for your stateroom" thing? We are not huge boozers, but I did hear somewhere that if you order a glass of wine or a beer thru room service that you end up having to pay for it/it's not included in the beverage packages? One more Beverage Package question, please: best to try to upgrade the plan now (and cost is what per person to upgrade?) OR wait til first day at sea when I heard that they'll run specials for you to go ahead and upgrade then...

Also, please give your thoughts on pre-booking one of the Specialty Restaurant packages (like 3 or 5 dinners, etc.?) Good to do this or just wing it and book reservations once on board rather than lock ourselves into fixed restaurants? And do you recommend booking dinner reservations now or just wait til actually on the ship?

Thank you so much for your help! We are staying in Aqua Class 1 on the Penthouse deck (not sure what # it is). Take care/FREEZING here in Chicago! J&J