Where to buy bargain booze in these ports?

wassup4565

As Canadians, we can bring back two 40 ounce bottles of hard liquor duty-free through Canadian Customs after our cruise. We are traveling to: Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Barbados (on Sunday), and Antigua.

I just want to know, in any of these ports, where can we easily find, near the dock, a place to buy bargain bottles of hard liquor. This represents a big saving to us, as these bottles would cost us a lot more in the liquor stores back home - might as well bring back what we're allowed to bring duty-free, right?

Will really appreciate your advice and suggestions on this.

I write the ship's prices of alcohol we want. I know Carnival will match any price I find ashore. I just buy one bottle then show the receipt and the ship will sell me the same alcohol at the price I paid ashore. There are other ships that do this so ask if they do when you board.

How much tax do you have to pay if you bring more than the two bottles home? Would it still save you money if you bought 4 or even 6 bottles home and paid the tax? Once we were stopped as we had too many bottles but they let us go as the tax was under $10 and they said it wasn't worth the time to write us up! In the US suitcases aren't opened when we get back so we have put more just in the suitcase and I have seen people go through customs with boxes that hold more of the allowed and never questioned.

As Canadians, we can bring back two 40 ounce bottles of hard liquor duty-free through Canadian Customs after our cruise. We are traveling to: Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Barbados (on Sunday), and Antigua.

I just want to know, in any of these ports, where can we easily find, near the dock, a place to buy bargain bottles of hard liquor. This represents a big saving to us, as these bottles would cost us a lot more in the liquor stores back home - might as well bring back what we're allowed to bring duty-free, right?

Sorry cant answer your question except I would ask a local this question.

I love your itinerary and would like to ask you what line and ship are you sailing on?:)

Sorry cant answer your question except I would ask a local this question.

I love your itinerary and would like to ask you what line and ship are you sailing on?:)

:) I agree...... it's a really nice itinerary.

It must be at least a 10-11 day cruise to have time to reach those ports if sailing from Florida. Maybe sailing from San Juan?

I write the ship's prices of alcohol we want. I know Carnival will match any price I find ashore. I just buy one bottle then show the receipt and the ship will sell me the same alcohol at the price I paid ashore. There are other ships that do this so ask if they do when you board.

How much tax do you have to pay if you bring more than the two bottles home? Would it still save you money if you bought 4 or even 6 bottles home and paid the tax? Once we were stopped as we had too many bottles but they let us go as the tax was under $10 and they said it wasn't worth the time to write us up! In the US suitcases aren't opened when we get back so we have put more just in the suitcase and I have seen people go through customs with boxes that hold more of the allowed and never questioned.

I asked at a Canadian DF shop as we were crossing the border and was told that Canadian duty would be about $2/ounce. If that is true, it makes no sense bringing back more than your allowance.

However, I don't know if this is true or if the clerk was just trying to scare me.

Have any Canadians ever brought extra alcohol back and been charged extra duty?

A lot depends on what booze you wan to buy. I'm a single malt Scotch guy and haven't found anything decent in any of the ports you mention.

In Antigua there is now a small shop in the mall just off the pier which sells SPRINGBANK and a selection of other high quality single malts.

My advice would to buy in Antigua because of the greater selection of top end bottles. Failing that buy at the departure airport to save any weight restrictions in your luggage.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Thank you all - what great suggestions! I was a little concerned about Barbados on Sunday because I read on the ports boards that not much is open Sundays there.

Yes, it's a wonderful itinerary - many new ports for us, so excited. We are leaving FL on Feb 3 Legend of the Seas (RCL) and the cruise is 11 nights. While I do love sailing from San Juan, it's so expensive for us Canadians to fly there, and hugely expensive to stay there in a hotel. Wonderful city, but we can't do it every time! This cruise met our need to depart from Lauderdale and still get to some of these distant ports.

No, I won't bring back more than 2 bottles. I'd probably pay more in extra weight baggage charges than the savings. I also don't play dice with Customs, so I will declare everything I buy. What with overweight baggage and extra duties, it will be 2 bottles only. But I'd like to reward the person looking after our dog with a 40-ouncer of Crowne Royal - her fave. And a big bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin would be so handy for making g & T's next summer at the cottage! With your advice, I think I'm gonna get what I need. Thanks.

Oh BTW, funny story. A friend went to Italy on business last year and bought 5 nice bottles of $15 - $20 dollar Italian wines. Once he paid the overweight baggage and the customs duties, he figured the cost had gone up to about $50 a bottle.