P&O's grain of common sense

Just been informed that we will be boarding Aurora at Brisbane's Portside Cruise Terminal on Feb 18 and not at the grimy and isolated Grain Terminal at the mouth of the Brisbane River.

Thanks P&O for this common sense decision ... we appreciate it.

Dennis and Patricia Amor

Be prepared for the grain terminal in any event. Aurora is longer than the minimum required length to transit that river and may end up at the grain terminal. She ships size is simply too large to go to the cruise terminal which is why on many occasions it docks at the grain terminal. The harbour pilot normally has discretion where it will dock but it is a large ship and length wise probably too long to go down the river.

The Princess Sun class ships nearly always use the Bne Portside facility. By comparison there is not a lot different in the sizes between those ships and the Aurora (I had originally thought that the Aurora was a much larger ship), but this is the comparison:

....................Sun Princess...... Aurora

Gross Tonnes... 77500......... 76000

Length:........... 857f.......... 886f (about the length of a cricket pitch longer)

Beam.............. 106f.......... 106f

Draft.............. 26.5f......... 26f

I imagine therefore that although the width of the Hamilton reach of the Brisbane river is the main factor, P&O (UK) will be able to use Portside for your cruise.

I agree the Grain Wharf is grimy and uninviting - docked there twice, and have always felt embarrassed - being a Brisbanite.

cheers

The Princess Sun class ships nearly always use the Bne Portside facility. By comparison there is not a lot different in the sizes between those ships and the Aurora (I had originally thought that the Aurora was a much larger ship), but this is the comparison:

....................Sun Princess...... Aurora

Gross Tonnes... 77500......... 76000

Length:........... 857f.......... 886f (about the length of a cricket pitch longer)

Beam.............. 106f.......... 106f

Draft.............. 26.5f......... 26f

I imagine therefore that although the width of the Hamilton reach of the Brisbane river is the main factor, P&O (UK) will be able to use Portside for your cruise.

I agree the Grain Wharf is grimy and uninviting - docked there twice, and have always felt embarrassed - being a Brisbanite.

cheers

if they think it can get under the Gateway Bridge it could nearly dock ay White Bay

The Grain wharf is entirely satisfactory -- at least to me :)

There are two problems re the Portside wharf - one is ship length but the second (and probably more important) is wind speed . Above a certain fairly low wind speed of 15 knots??) -- it is a NO-GO zone. Ships cannot be turned around up river at Portside in winds stronger than that.

Personally, I think it might be better to turn Portside completely into a housing area - and rebuild a good cruise terminal somewhere at the mouth of the Brisbane river. There are very few cities of the World where the cruise terminal is right inside the city -- for example, Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City cruise terminals are an hour's drive (or more) away from the city.

Barry

rebuild a good cruise terminal somewhere at the mouth of the Brisbane river. There are very few cities of the World where the cruise terminal is right inside the city -- for example, Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City cruise terminals are an hour's drive (or more) away from the city.

Barry

It's not the distance by itself - but the absolute remoteness.

There is no way for passengers to get to/from there except by expensive taxis, or limited ship's shuttles, which aren't cheap either - as the distance compounds this.

I'd rate it Australia's worst port.

We docked at the grain terminal last year on Arcadia and it presented an issue for taxi drivers - they didn't know where it was!

We arranged to meet family at Portside for lunch so a taxi from the terminal to Portside was no problem apart from the price - around $50, however on the way back we had to call a cab. The cab company didn't know where it was and then the driver had the same problem and overshot the turnoff. It was an expensive outing - $100 in cab fares alone :eek: unfortunately there was no room in the family car so we had no option but to get a cab.

I'm not sure how much the shuttle into the city is but I would hope it wouldn't be $50!

Just been informed that we will be boarding Aurora at Brisbane's Portside Cruise Terminal on Feb 18 and not at the grimy and isolated Grain Terminal at the mouth of the Brisbane River.

Thanks P&O for this common sense decision ... we appreciate it.

Dennis and Patricia Amor

going by Brisbane ports its supposed to dock at Portside so wait and see if it gets changed

We sailed Oriana , Auckland to Brisbane one year , and we sailed under the Gateway Bridge and docked at Portside. I think Aurora is about the same size?

Aurora is 10 metres longer that Oriana. When I did Aurora up there in 2008 at that time it was too long to transit the river at 270m. They said the maximum length the ship could be was 260m which just happens to be the exact length of Oriana and the Sun class ships.

I didn't find the grain wharf grimy... but it's so far out and remote from anything that it's a very unappealing choice.

I agree with this. The terminal itself is fine as a port stop - not sure about this for embarking or disembarking as never have done that - just located in a working port area a long way from CBD. Guess we can blame the people who decided to build the city up a narrow river where ships of the future would not be able to access:D

On Voyager cruise, the RC shuttle to city was $24 and was adverised as 45 minutes trip.

Anyway, we knew we were docking a distance from CBD and had no real reason to travel to CBD. It was Melb Cup day and the 4 of us took a taxi ($30 each way between 4) to the nearby (10-15') Wynnum/Manly RSL club and had a great day.

Aurora is 10 metres longer that Oriana. When I did Aurora up there in 2008 at that time it was too long to transit the river at 270m. They said the maximum length the ship could be was 260m which just happens to be the exact length of Oriana and the Sun class ships.

In 2004 we sailed under the Bridge on the Aurora as can be seen from the attached photograph. Admittedly the funnel seems very close to the bridge.

I suppose whether or not it goes under is determined by tidal factors.

We are sailing on her in February and very much hope she will go under as we have found the Grain Terminal pretty unattractive and inaccessible in the past.

Don

1325311909_GoingunderBrisbaneBridge.jpg.d7e0db96f33afe50713c25dc99635625.jpg

Problem solved ... we've booked an extra couple of days (Sydney to Brisbane two-night sector at a price we couldn't resist!) and will now be sailing from the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay in Sydney.

Only hiccup is that we couldn't get the cabin we've already booked from Bne to Honkers so it will mean swapping in Bne.

Won't be unpacking for the first two days so it'll be casual clothing for the first two nights ... and meals up in the buffet :)

Dennis and Patricia Amor

Problem solved ... we've booked an extra couple of days (Sydney to Brisbane two-night sector at a price we couldn't resist!) and will now be sailing from the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay in Sydney.

Only hiccup is that we couldn't get the cabin we've already booked from Bne to Honkers so it will mean swapping in Bne.

Won't be unpacking for the first two days so it'll be casual clothing for the first two nights ... and meals up in the buffet :)

Dennis and Patricia Amor

Theres no problem moving cabins. Everything hanging in the robe is put onto wheeled hangers and the staff will move it for you. Everything else into the case and they will even move that if you want. We had to move cabins in Sydney once and the staff did it all while we went off sightseeing for the day. We arrived back to the new cabin all set out the same.

Just let your steward know whats happening and he will arrange it all for you.

I didn't find the grain (or multi-purpose wharf as they call it) at all grimy last November. It was raining and they had tents up to walk through. The building where the luggage is, was clean and bright. Mind you we were just disembarking. :D

It is not the length of the ships sailing up the river that is the problem, but rather whether or not a ship is too long to turn around.

Just quoting from Portside Wharf web page:

Brisbane Cruise Terminal

Strategically located on Australia's East Coast cruising hub, the Brisbane Cruise Terminal is ideally situated just one sea-day away from Sydney or the Whitsunday Islands, and two sea-days from Tropical Cairns or the Pacific Island of New Caledonia. Portside Wharf is capable of welcoming ships up to 270 metres in length, including the P&O Aurora and the Oriana, two of the largest ships to dock in Brisbane. Other luxury liners that have docked at the terminal include The World, The Volendam, The Sea Princess, The Amsterdam and Nippon Maru World Ship for Youth. The purpose-designed facility is complete with access to first-class marine engineering facilities, including a working dry-dock located just across the river. Portside Wharf has presented Brisbane with a new state-of-the-art terminal facility, a world class dining and retail offer, and a range of luxury residences, encapsulated in a precinct where both visitors and locals alike can enjoy the best aspects of Queensland life in one place, and access their every need in one location.

I didn't find the grain (or multi-purpose wharf as they call it) at all grimy last November. It was raining and they had tents up to walk through. The building where the luggage is, was clean and bright. Mind you we were just disembarking. :D

Agree completely Sandy -- nothing "grimy" about the Grain Wharf cruise terminal -- perfectly satisfactory for it's purpose. The fact that it is 10 klm or more from the city centre means that it is quite close to the city centre when compared to many other ports around the World. The fact that taxi drivers don't seem to favor going out there to pick up fares must say something about what they expect to earn by doing so - else they would.

Barry

Agree completely Sandy -- nothing "grimy" about the Grain Wharf cruise terminal -- perfectly satisfactory for it's purpose. The fact that it is 10 klm or more from the city centre means that it is quite close to the city centre when compared to many other ports around the World. The fact that taxi drivers don't seem to favor going out there to pick up fares must say something about what they expect to earn by doing so - else they would.

Barry

Actually, it's about 25 km from the city centre.

There's always been a massive supply of taxis when I've been there... though they would only go when there's business as it's so remote, not e.g. at midday or later when most people are off the ship.

Actually, it's about 25 km from the city centre.

There's always been a massive supply of taxis when I've been there... though they would only go when there's business as it's so remote, not e.g. at midday or later when most people are off the ship.

I agree with you, there were tons of taxis waiting at the terminal. It was getting back which presented a slight problem. There is nothing wrong with the terminal building itself from what I saw, it was bright and modern-ish although I confess to not paying much attention as I was meeting up with family. The surrounding area though is a fairly typical industrial terminal.

BTW it was also referred to as Fisherman's ???? (Wharf I think).

The whole port area is referred to as "Fishermens Island" -- because, many years ago, when I was a boy, there was an actual island there called that. Since then the island has been connected to the mainland and the whole area filled to make the Port.

I recommend that any who think it is a long way from the city to NOT do a World Cruise. The port for Rome is 75 klms away, the port for Paris is 195 klm away, the port for London is 120 klm away, the port for Bangkok is 120 klm away, etc :) and if anybody thinks that the industrial part of the Brisbane port is "grimy" , wait until you go to Hong Kong and have to either berth at the commercial port there or worse still anchor in Junk Bay !! :(

Barry

Barry,

Have sailed into HK twice in the last several years ... each time docking at Kowloon, a fabulous location with views over Victoria Harbour and HK Island as a backdrop.

Mind you, not sure where we'll end up this year. I gather there's now a new cruise terminal on the site of the old airport runway :confused:

Dennis and Patricia Amor