Zuiderdam Suite beside Glass Elevators

WayneFougere

As I was traveling in one of the glass elevators, I noticed a person (in her house coat) on a neighbouring balcony. The lack of privacy seemed like a big problem and I expected that these cabins were sized and priced appropriately. I made a mental note never to book any of these cabins. While looking at possible suite location on an upcoming cruise, I noticed that 6084 was still available. It struck me as funny that HAL would place SA and SB suites in such an exposed location. Does anyone have personal experience in a cabin (and especially on the balcony) immediate adjacent to a glass elevator? Are they as exposed as they seem? Does HAL really get top dollar for this location?

. Does anyone have personal experience in a cabin (and especially on the balcony) immediate adjacent to a glass elevator? Are they as exposed as they seem? Does HAL really get top dollar for this location?

We have had the cabin on the Neptune level right next to the elevator. I understand the previous poster saying that any exposure is brief BUT we found it very intrusive. People would wave and it was obvious that they were "in our space"... We were always fully clothed but didn't want to share our dining and relaxing with others... Just my $.02 worth...

... exposure is brief BUT we found it very intrusive. People would wave and it was obvious that they were "in our space"... We were always fully clothed but didn't want to share our dining and relaxing with others... Just my $.02 worth...

Your 2¢ is worth a fortune to me. Was the whole balcony compromised? Was the suite itself exposed?

I realize that some might be ok with the location and others may actually enjoy watching people in elevators. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who was in one of these suites and wasn't uncomfortable with the exposure.

I would not want one ... attachment.php?attachmentid=263488&d=1362836572

Ouch! That picture says more than I remember. I wouldn't have had the gut or heart to take it but for the story it tells, I'm glad someone did.

I don't think I'd want an upgrade to such a location, which raises an interesting question. Does HAL require guaranteed cabin to take whatever they're given? With an SC guarantee, I suspect this "available" cabin might be an upgrade possibility.

12089606253_fe3dfdd963_z.jpg

Cruise March 2011 17 by leonmorrison, on Flickr

Can't see much in the room itself but can see all but a few feet of the balcony right by the door...

It looks like this picture was taken from the balcony, as you can see the glass around the elevator shaft on the other side of the balcony.

I suspect many of those who sail in this particular location have booked guarantee cabins. I'm not remembering having read anyone, ever, saying that they love these cabins and specifically book them. Usually, it's someone saying they got one as a guarantee - and can they get a different cabin.

Ouch! That picture says more than I remember. I wouldn't have had the gut or heart to take it but for the story it tells, I'm glad someone did.
Well, they weren't looking toward me, and I've blurred faces to mainly hide their identities.
Does HAL require guaranteed cabin to take whatever they're given?
In general, yes, although some have protested and been changed. Sometimes there just isn't anyplace else to move people to that is at or above the level they booked.

I would never book a cabin right by the elevators.

Granted that most times the elevator just zips by those verandahs and you barely see anything -- and you have to be standing right up against the glass part of the elevator. But there are times when the elevator stops on those decks to load and unload people and yes you can see just about everything on those verandahs.

I would not want one ... unless it was a free upgrade from a much lower category!

attachment.php?attachmentid=263488&d=1362836572

This cabin is the deluxe cabin, in smaller cat. cabin you do not see as much. We were in 5100 on the Noordam and it was fine.

We have booked these cabins and like them because they are close to the elevators. Have no problem with people looking at us (if that's what they want to do). We are never naked on any balcony. What's the difference between being at the pool in a bathing suit and being clothed on the balcony?

It looks like this picture was taken from the balcony, as you can see the glass around the elevator shaft on the other side of the balcony.

I suspect many of those who sail in this particular location have booked guarantee cabins. I'm not remembering having read anyone, ever, saying that they love these cabins and specifically book them. Usually, it's someone saying they got one as a guarantee - and can they get a different cabin.

I specifically booked SB 6084 on the Oosterdam. I had no issues with the external elevator being right next door. Would I book this cabin again, yes I would.

This is what I wrote about cabin 6082 on N. Amsterdam.

"This cabin is on the Port side of the ship next to the Mid-ship glass elevators. I know that people have expressed concerns about this position as they imagine that there is a lack of privacy. I have to say we were extremely happy with this cabin. We tried very hard while in the glass elevators to see into the cabin and to ascertain how much of the balcony was visible and you couldn’t see inside at all. The only part of the balcony visible was right by the rail and it wasn’t a problem. In fact we felt that a deck 4 VF or VD would be more visible from the cabins on deck 5.

One real advantage of the balcony was the angled part nearest the elevator which, instead of having the abrupt cut-off of view caused by the fixed partition, allowed a slightly wider panorama with the plexiglass.

We enjoyed the larger room, the bigger bathroom with the double sinks, the extra storage drawers and the bigger table space for our Room-service breakfast. "

I suppose it depends on what people plan to do on their balcony. :eek:

We'd certainly book one of these by the elevators again.

Booking a cabin next to the glass elevators would not bother me at all. In fact, when the Neptune Suite I wanted for our upcoming cruise was not available I was going to book 7066 (Zuiderdam) to be near the elevator bank. HOWEVER, my DH said NO, thank you. :rolleyes: That ended that discussion.

For all those who have stayed in a cabin beside the glass elevators and let me know your experience, thank you for sharing. While my initial feeling was completely negative and the idea is still a bit off-putting, I'm happy to hear that some actually liked the location.

We had 7071 on the Westerdam and being next to the glass elevators didn't bother us one bit. The first day you notice it some and after that not at all. The elevator is lit up at night with different colors and it was actually quite pretty.