The River Cruise Board is all mixed up.

Ozjohnno

robinlyn ~ my one, and only!, complaint with river cruising is the lack of interaction on CC - and that certainly isn't the fault of the cruise companies!!!

I also was SO frustrated before our first RC - there's was always SO many posts on our ocean cruises - mostly Celebrity. I felt very isolated with no one to make plans with - how much did DH really want to discuss details like how many shoes I should bring or what time we'd be eating dinner - he just wanted to eat - don't talk about it!!!!

And, to make matters worse, on our first RC we met another couple and the wife said she had looked at CC but didn't bother answering any posts!!! UGH!!! But then, everyone's different!!! It's one reason I enjoy the broader threads like "Christmas Markets 2013" or "Viking Rhine River", etc. At least it gives you a chance to talk and share with others who'll be taking a similar cruise. And, the most important part, learn from past passengers!!!!

So go ahead and blow off steam - many of us feel the same way!!!

It is a little frustrating to find things sometimes. Some threads that should be under ROLL CALLS are under the general River Cruising forum, and visa versa, and the ports board I'm not sure about at all. I kind of like the way it used to be better, but maybe I'm just not used to the new format yet. I have always felt though that if I met someone on these boards that was actually going to be on my sailing, it would be a miracle. But yet, I have, twice!

I do get a lot of info about similar cruises. I got a LOT out of the Viking China threads even though we didn't go with Viking this past October to China. And I think the Russia - All Cruise Lines general threads are great too since all the cruise lines seem to go to the same places anyway. Preparing now for the Viking Bordeaux cruise, and not getting much out of those threads, but that makes sense since that itinerary is new to both Viking and Uniworld. I have found great info on the Southern France cruise, particularly from you FotoPeg - loved your pictures!

When I stared this thread I thought it would "turn on light" with board Admin staff and they would step in and move the threads out of the Ports of Call section that are so obviously not related in any way with a port and place them in this section. I was wrong. It appears to me that no one cares. I would hate to be a newbie trying to find a subject these days. They are all over the place. Thankfully I have all the info I need at the moment but I have no idea in which section to post in future that will generate the most responses.

River cruising appears to me to be the forgotten child of Cruise Critic.

• 2 months later...

I completely agree. I find it really hard to find information specific to the cruise line we've booked with. I spend hours scrolling through the River Cruise section looking for Avalon. I even type Avalon in the search section and it is still a slow process.

I have put my name down in the Roll Call section too. Don't how anyone would find me though.

Enough people are doing river cruising now, it seems that the various companies could generate enough "board chatter" to merit their own sections. For example, we have Viking. How about having Uniworld, AMA and others under their own listiing. Keep ports of call as a separate topic.

Great idea ...

I completely agree. I find it really hard to find information specific to the cruise line we've booked with. I spend hours scrolling through the River Cruise section looking for Avalon. I even type Avalon in the search section and it is still a slow process.

I have put my name down in the Roll Call section too. Don't how anyone would find me though.

Hi there -

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

River cruisers are a smaller group than ocean cruisers, and as such still struggle a bit with the format of this forum. However, there is a "host" (Jazzbeau) who is trying to make sense of everything.

If there is something in particular you are looking for, perhaps it might be best to post a question in this forum and see who responds. Looking for someone on the Roll Call might be a lost cause - as there are so few passengers on each sailing.

Don't give up on us....

Fran

Planning a river cruise next summer but we are having a hard time deciding which company to trust. It is a lot of money to make a mistake and hate it.

What we know is we want the Danube and we want a balcony. Other than that we are confused. Hoped CC would allow us to read different views but have not had any luck.

I will keep trying.

Planning a river cruise next summer but we are having a hard time deciding which company to trust. It is a lot of money to make a mistake and hate it.

What we know is we want the Danube and we want a balcony. Other than that we are confused. Hoped CC would allow us to read different views but have not had any luck.

I will keep trying.

Here are some areas within Cruise Critic to get you started:

Cruise Critic introduction to river cruising:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

Cruise Critic reviews:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/?src=nav

[select each river cruise line from the pull-down menu:

A-ROSA, AmaWaterways, Avalon, CroisiEurope, Emerald, Grand Circle, Pandaw, Scenic, Tauck, Uniworld, Vantage, Viking]

Recent Comparison Threads:

Viking vs. Uniworld – also includes discussion of other lines:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2022484

Trying to Compare On-Line Pricing

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2024862

new to river cruising - need ship advice

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026289

You might like to look at Emerald Waterways the new kid on the block is the new venture by Scenic Tours they are being marketed in the US their new vessels cabins mostly have balconies these can be enclosed when the weather is inclement they have a swimming pool that transforms to a cinema in the evening.

The difference between the two companies is no butlers, not all inclusive, some excursions cost, drinks only with lunch and dinner and some others.

I think aimed at a different age group than Scenic but I can see some of Scenic's previous customers giving them a try.

You will enjoy your cruise whoever you choose to travel with, good hunting!