Specialty Restaurants - Special Requests

jasm8449

We dine in the specialties every night, and we've never asked for off menu items. It would be difficult to do something like that unless you ask for it at least 24 hours ahead because they need to see if they have the ingredients necessary to make anything special.

But I will say that after the first few days of dining in a specialty, THEY have offered to make a main course that wasn't on the menu, but again, we've never requested anything.

[quote name='jasm8449']What off-menu dishes have you asked for, received and enjoyed?[/QUOTE]

In Murano, we give them 24 hour notice, and they make us Steak Diane, table side.

In Blu we ask them to make garlic soup for our table of 6-8. They accommodate reasonable requests if you give them some notice. Edited by Wine-O

In Blu one evening, I mentioned to our waiter that I had heard that one could order Indian food (I had read it here, of course). The maître d' ran right over and asked me about it. I was really just asking if it was even possible, thinking [I]maybe[/I] I could get it the next night, if it wasn't too much trouble.

Well, before I knew it, the dinner I had already ordered arrived, AND a huge plate of Indian delicacies had appeared before me! I think there were three separate entrée items. It was crazy in a way, as I really wanted whatever I had ordered, but their rush to satisfy my every whim was just amazing, and I was so grateful! Edited by CathyCruises

It used to be possible in the past, but it seems like it's not possible now.

Back when the French restaurants were the only ones, we'd go three or four times a cruise. By then they'd start offering us other dishes they thought we'd enjoy. One of the ones they made was Lobster in Champagne sauce as an entree, and it's seriously the best meal I have ever had, bar none, and I've eaten at five star restaurants.

So every year after that, we'd dine one night, leave a really big tip, and my husband would ask the maitre d' if they could make that dish for me another evening. The past three years I've been told that the chef doesn't know how to make things that aren't listed on the menu. :rolleyes: Edited by SusieV

Slightly different but in Tuscan Grill on the Equinox my five year old grand daughter wanted Pizza, they accommodated with no problem. She had Mac and cheese to start (from the side order off the entree menu) then pizza with salad and fondue for dessert. They were delighted to give her what she wanted, we had a great meal :D

Another reason we love Celebrity :)

As far as I know there is only one kitchen on the ship so all food is prepared in one place. If a certain entree is available in one spot in could be available at every venue, in theory.
J.

I haven't requested off-menu items, but Celebrity's specialty restaurants have been really accommodating to tweaks for me. At QSine for example, they modified a couple key dishes for me so they wouldn't have shellfish (allergy). So I could still get things that sound fun, just with chicken or something instead. :)

[quote name='jsf']As far as I know there is only one kitchen on the ship so all food is prepared in one place. If a certain entree is available in one spot in could be available at every venue, in theory.
J.[/QUOTE]

Greetings

On the S-Class ships each venue has it's own kitchen. They explain all this when you take the galley tour. Don't know if this is true on M-Class.

Good Sailing
Tom

Just off the Summit a week ago and ate in Normandie every night. They were more than willing to make anything you wanted after the first few nights and we had veal saltimbocca one evening and steak Diane another, given they had a day's notice to prepare. They do have their own dedicated galley for that venue on this ship and the service was the best we have ever had in 30 cruises! Didn't miss the "hurried" and noisy main dining room environment at all and this was one of the best dining experiences we've enjoyed on any ship.:)

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]On our Summit cruise to Bermuda in June 2012 we happened to meet the maitre d' (wish I could remember his name) from the Normandie on the ferry coming back from Hamilton one day. We (we were two couples) had a long and lovely conversation with him the whole ride back. He made us promise we would have dinner one of the remaining nights in his restaurant, which we did the last night.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]They had a wonderful surf and turf on the menu, which 3 of us enjoyed very much.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]We did the same cruise in June 2013 (actually booked the same exact RS, taking our son this time) and upon check in, the same young man was working the priority check in desk to assist guests with questions.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]When he saw our last name (its unusual) he instantly remembered us from the year before and asked if we planned on dinner again in Normandie, we told we were going to have dinner there the night of our anniversary and he made the reservation right there.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]On the menu that night, the surf and turf was gone and I told our waiter that I was sorry it wasnt available, as I so enjoyed it the year before. Well, this young man (the maitre d') went into the kitchen and had the chef prepare it for me, which was so nice and unexpected![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]That is what I love about Celebrity, most of the staff will go above and beyond to make you happy![/COLOR][/FONT]